IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

Troutman

IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
I've been using IE8 RC1 without major problems and just updated to IE8
through Windows Update.
Since the update my browsing speed became extremely slow and I have 10 to 20
connections to deploy.akamaitechnologies.com established all the time. This
only started happening since the update (2 hours ago), and I made no other
change to the system, so I guess it's pretty safe to say it's not spyware (a
fast google search on akamai also points to a "legit" company).
Anyone has any idea on what's going on?
VanguardLH

Re: IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
Troutman wrote:

> I've been using IE8 RC1 without major problems and just updated to IE8
> through Windows Update.
> Since the update my browsing speed became extremely slow and I have 10 to 20
> connections to deploy.akamaitechnologies.com established all the time. This
> only started happening since the update (2 hours ago), and I made no other
> change to the system, so I guess it's pretty safe to say it's not spyware (a
> fast google search on akamai also points to a "legit" company).
> Anyone has any idea on what's going on?

Remove all sites from the Restricted Sites security zone. Thousands of
entries (added by anti-malware programs) in this list will severely
slow IE8. Known bug. Manual removal is tedious. Save
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf to a file, right- click
on it, and select Install. This will make registry changes to delete
the ZoneMap entries and recreate them (but empty). ALL sites in every
security zone are deleted. If you have entries in the Trusted Sites
zone, record them before deletion.

Akamai is a worldwide service provider. They have data centers that
other companies use for load-balancing their systems across many
countries. Microsoft uses them for providing downloads and tracking
them (and also uses atdmt.com for tracking, a company well known as an
advertising service provider). Connects to Akamai are common for
Microsoft products or services. However, there normally would not be
"10 to 20 [concurrent] connections" and they wouldn't be "all the time".
What are you using to monitor that number of constant connections?

Did you leave enabled the option to download updates from Microsoft for
the Compatibility sites list? Tools -> View Compatability Settings.
Ben Humpert

Re: IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
How could a huge list of restricted sites creating such an amount of
(concurrent) connections to akamai servers and why?

Ben Humpert wrote:

> How could a huge list of restricted sites creating such an amount of
> (concurrent) connections to akamai servers and why?

" ... browsing speed became extremely slow and I have 10 to 20
connections ..."

Those were TWO problems described in one post. The huge number of
Restricted Sites entries addresses the slow response (when moving
between tabs or opening IE8). Nothing to do with the other problem of a
large number of concurrent connections to Akamai.
Troutman

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Ben Humpert wrote:
>
> > How could a huge list of restricted sites creating such an amount of
> > (concurrent) connections to akamai servers and why?

> " ... browsing speed became extremely slow and I have 10 to 20
> connections ..."
>
> Those were TWO problems described in one post. The huge number of
> Restricted Sites entries addresses the slow response (when moving
> between tabs or opening IE8). Nothing to do with the other problem of a
> large number of concurrent connections to Akamai.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
Answering to the questions VanguardLH posted:
- In one of the ocasions I had that huge amount of connections I had two
tabs opened - one with iGoogle and one with a Myspace page. In the other
ocasion, I had just a YouTube page opened.

- I'm using TCPView to check the connections.

Regarding the sugestion posted also by VanguardLH, by removing all those
restricted sites entries, won't that make the browser less safe?
Supposing that's the cause for the decrease in browsing speed, why didn't
that happen with IE8 Beta2 and RC1? I still have RC1 in my laptop, and the
browsing speed is normal. I have the same security apps in both computers
(AVG and Spybot).
Troutman

Re: IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work. Browsign is still much slower than
before (with RC1) and some features just became unavailable (don't work),
like Myspace's media player (in musicians pages).
Heres a print screen of what Tcpview looks like when I visit Myspace:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...999/Akamai.jpg

In my laptop, I kept IE8 RC1 and it still works great...

"Steve Hebert" wrote:

> Even though you don't have many tabs open, it shouldn't hurt to give this
> re-registration a shot:
> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443
>
> Steve
>
> "Troutman" <Troutman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> " ... browsing speed became extremely slow and I have 10 to 20
> >> connections ..."
> >>
> >> Those were TWO problems described in one post. The huge number of
> >> Restricted Sites entries addresses the slow response (when moving
> >> between tabs or opening IE8). Nothing to do with the other problem of a
> >> large number of concurrent connections to Akamai.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for replying.
> > Answering to the questions VanguardLH posted:
> > - In one of the ocasions I had that huge amount of connections I had two
> > tabs opened - one with iGoogle and one with a Myspace page. In the other
> > ocasion, I had just a YouTube page opened.
> >
> > - I'm using TCPView to check the connections.
> >
> > Regarding the sugestion posted also by VanguardLH, by removing all those
> > restricted sites entries, won't that make the browser less safe?
> > Supposing that's the cause for the decrease in browsing speed, why didn't
> > that happen with IE8 Beta2 and RC1? I still have RC1 in my laptop, and the
> > browsing speed is normal. I have the same security apps in both computers
> > (AVG and Spybot).

Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 extremely slow browsing - deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
I have to wonder if that might really be a problem with AVG's website
checking service (whatever it's called - I can't remember the name at the
moment)