DaveP wrote on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:50:03 -0700:
> I recently upgraded to IE8 on Vista Home Premium. I can not access a
> I usually use for BJ's Wholesale, www.bjs.com I get "Internet Explorer
> cannot display the webpage". I could access this from IE7 previously
> and I can access the web site from Firefox.
> I reset IE8 to default settings and still not luck.
> If I got to sub domain,
> http://shop.bjs.com/Electronics_stcV...6VVviewcat.htm IE8
> works fine. If I hit the BJ's logo on that page, it will not display.
> Anyone have any ideas?
I've tested it with Fiddler2, and it appears that if the User-Agent string
is very long then the request to www.bjs.com
site is rejected, probably by a
firewall. Unfortunately IE sends a User-Agent that contains a list of all
the .NET versions installed and this gets to be quite long. If you change
the User-Agent string to shorten it then it will work. You can do this using
So, for instance, my current user agent string is:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
..NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
If I change it to
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1
then requests to www.bjs.com
It appears that this same user-agent length check is not used on
shop.bjs.com which is hosted at a different location than the www.bjs.com