Explorer has stopped working

Alan

Explorer has stopped working
Hi,
I've been using IE8 with Vista Home Premium for some time with no problems.
Lately however when I close internet windows, especially if more than one is
open, I get the 'Explorer has stopped working' message followed by the
'Windows is searching for a solution'.
I'm not doing anything different to what I've always done. It wouldn't be a
problem but if I'm downloading something in the background and this happens,
the download is terminated which can be frustrating if it's halfway through
one which takes half an hour or so to complete.
Other than that everything is working fine. Any ideas anyone?
TIA and regards,
Alan.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Explorer has stopped working

"Alan" <alan111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:e$EcSblsJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I've been using IE8 with Vista Home Premium for some time with no problems.
> Lately however when I close internet windows, especially if more than one is
> open, I get the 'Explorer has stopped working' message followed by the
> 'Windows is searching for a solution'.
> I'm not doing anything different to what I've always done. It wouldn't be a
> problem but if I'm downloading something in the background and this happens,
> the download is terminated which can be frustrating if it's halfway through
> one which takes half an hour or so to complete.
> Other than that everything is working fine. Any ideas anyone?

If you're "closing windows" wouldn't you expect the sessions in them to end? ; )

> TIA and regards,
> Alan.

md

Re: Explorer has stopped working
Do you use Quicken?

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4a3b931-7494-4fce-865f-2d0b79bc36ce@z8g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> Do you use Quicken?

Who are you asking and what is your point?

---

Alan

Re: Explorer has stopped working
When you close your home page do you get the warning that Explorer has
stopped working followed by Windows is searching for a solution? If you did
would you be happy with that? I can't really see the purpose of your reply,
Regards,
Alan.

> "Alan" <alan111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I've been using IE8 with Vista Home Premium for some time with no
>> problems.
>> Lately however when I close internet windows, especially if more than one
>> is
>> open, I get the 'Explorer has stopped working' message followed by the
>> 'Windows is searching for a solution'.
>> I'm not doing anything different to what I've always done. It wouldn't be
>> problem but if I'm downloading something in the background and this
>> happens,
>> the download is terminated which can be frustrating if it's halfway
>> through
>> one which takes half an hour or so to complete.
>> Other than that everything is working fine. Any ideas anyone?

> If you're "closing windows" wouldn't you expect the sessions in them to
> end? ; )
>

>> TIA and regards,
>> Alan.

Alan

Re: Explorer has stopped working
No I don't,
Regards,
Alan.
"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you use Quicken?

md

Re: Explorer has stopped working
Only mentioned Quicken because I experienced the same IE stopped
responding error. Only after disabling every browser add-on, bho and
many applications, did i realize the problem was caused when closing
IE after a Quicken session. But since you don't have quicken, this
isn't the issue on your pc.
Alan

Re: Explorer has stopped working
Thanks for that, I'll have to do what you did and start disabling things
until I find what's causing it I suppose.
It is strange though because I haven't added any add-on's or programmes for
quite a long while,
Regards,
Alan,