IE8: InPrivate filtering is almost useless

MK

IE8: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
Hello, I wonder why the browser does not remember InPrivate filtering
settings in normal browsing mode. It disables InPrivate filtering feature off
with every new start of the browser no matter what I specified before. I
suggested to change this behavior when IE8 RC1 was ready but in final version
of IE8 nothing changed

And of course I was not able to find some bypass like registry hack. This
way InPrivate filtering is for nothing.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: InPrivate filtering is almost useless

"MK" <MK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A543A99-19CE-413F-A47A-AA9C143D9E33@microsoft.com...
> Hello, I wonder why the browser does not remember InPrivate filtering
> settings in normal browsing mode. It disables InPrivate filtering feature off
> with every new start of the browser no matter what I specified before. I
> suggested to change this behavior when IE8 RC1 was ready but in final version
> of IE8 nothing changed
>
> And of course I was not able to find some bypass like registry hack.

Have you tried using a command line switch? -private

> This way InPrivate filtering is for nothing.

---

VanguardLH

Re: IE8: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
MK wrote:

> Hello, I wonder why the browser does not remember InPrivate filtering
> settings in normal browsing mode. It disables InPrivate filtering feature off
> with every new start of the browser no matter what I specified before. I
> suggested to change this behavior when IE8 RC1 was ready but in final version
> of IE8 nothing changed
>
> And of course I was not able to find some bypass like registry hack. This
> way InPrivate filtering is for nothing.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

If this option were always enabled (once you enable it), think about the
effect. The idea is to keep track of 3rd party content that is *common*
at the sites that you visit often enough to even track what you are
doing on the web. Sites also rotate through 3rd party providers.

The point of this filter is privacy, not ad-blocking. Leaving the
option always on would defeat the purpose of this filter: privacy.
Probably what you don't like is that you have to provide a sampling of
the sites you visit within the same web browser session. It might be
handy to leave it enabled for a few days to accommodate your surfing
performed at different times without you having to do it all at once.
The problem there is of users leaving this option constantly enabled and
defeating the purpose of this filter.

Start a web browser session, enable the InPrivate Filter, and then go
visit every site in your Favorites list and any sites that you regularly
visit that are not in your Favorites list. Open the Favorites explorer
bar, pin it to keep it open, select a folder, and click the rightward
arrow on the selection line to option all sites under that folder.
Close all the tabs and move onto the next folder. If you regularly
visit sites not in your Favorites then visit those, too. Then review
the list, if any sites are listed, for the filter to make sure you
really do want to block content from those sources. You might hit a lot
of sites that have advertising in them but that source is not common
across enough of the sites that you visit to get included in this list.
Most likely you'll find Google listed. However, you might not find
anything in this filter list unless you reduce the threshold (down from
the default of 10 sites common to that provider).

I did the above for the 761 sites in my Favorites. At the default
threshold of 10 sites that must share the same 3rd party provider, the
InPrivate Filter list was *empty*. That means after visiting all those
sites, there weren't 10 of them sharing the same 3rd party content
provider. I had to lower the threshold to 9 (you don't need to redo the
above procedure, just change the threshold which shows what sites meet
that threshold). I then saw Google, revsci.net, and a couple others.
The lower I set the threshold, the more sites I would see but many were
for Google. After all that work, I found extremely few sites that
*might* monitor my web surfing. That doesn't mean they are monitoring
my web surfing. Plus many such sites are collecting demographic data
and don't care at all about individuals.
MK

Re: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
sure, however problem is that this switch is changing browsing mode to
InPrivate therefore history is not saved.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "MK" <MK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A543A99-19CE-413F-A47A-AA9C143D9E33@microsoft.com...
> > Hello, I wonder why the browser does not remember InPrivate filtering
> > settings in normal browsing mode. It disables InPrivate filtering feature off
> > with every new start of the browser no matter what I specified before. I
> > suggested to change this behavior when IE8 RC1 was ready but in final version
> > of IE8 nothing changed
> >
> > And of course I was not able to find some bypass like registry hack.

> Have you tried using a command line switch? -private
>

> > This way InPrivate filtering is for nothing.

> ---

MK

Re: IE8: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
I want to be able to filter all tracking services even Google analytics which
is possible by InPrivate filtering.
But I have to enable it evrytime over and over again. As a side effect I'd
like to use it for ads filtering too. To be honest I really do not see one
reason why not to allow a user to decide if he wants enable it automatically.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> [...]

> for Google. After all that work, I found extremely few sites that
> *might* monitor my web surfing. That doesn't mean they are monitoring
> my web surfing. Plus many such sites are collecting demographic data
> and don't care at all about individuals.

Re: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
"MK" <MK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I wonder why the browser does not remember InPrivate filtering
> settings in normal browsing mode. It disables InPrivate filtering feature
> off
> with every new start of the browser no matter what I specified before. I
> suggested to change this behavior when IE8 RC1 was ready but in final
> version
> of IE8 nothing changed
>
> And of course I was not able to find some bypass like registry hack. This

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...7-f4a78fa04f8f

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE]
"StartMode"=dword:00000001

0 - off
1 - auto
2 - manual

MK

Re: InPrivate filtering is almost useless
It works, thanks a lot.