IE8 eBay Utilities

Yogi

IE8 eBay Utilities
At http://ie8.ebay.com there are listed three addons, an Accelerator, Web
Slice, and Visual Search. However, all three install buttons lead to the XML
file to install the Visual Search. I have managed to install the Accelerator
from ieaddons.com. However, when you try to install the eBay Web Slice
listed on ieaddons.com, it takes you to http://ie8.ebay.com where the Web
Slice is not available. Is there anywhere else to go to get this Web Slice?

Yogi

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 eBay Utilities
Yogi wrote:

> At http://ie8.ebay.com there are listed three addons, an Accelerator, Web
> Slice, and Visual Search. However, all three install buttons lead to the XML
> file to install the Visual Search. I have managed to install the Accelerator
> from ieaddons.com. However, when you try to install the eBay Web Slice
> listed on ieaddons.com, it takes you to http://ie8.ebay.com where the Web
> Slice is not available. Is there anywhere else to go to get this Web Slice?
>
> Yogi

From the ie8.ebay.com web page:

eBay Visual Search <span>Get instant search results</span>
</a>
eBay Accelerator <span>eBay search on any site</span>
</a>
eBay product updates <span>Using Web Slices</span>
</a>

So those links run .php scripts on their server. They take you to a
short product description page with a download link. When I visited
those product pages using IE8, the download links there were:

eBay Visual Search:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe

eBay Accelerator:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe

eBay product updates:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe

Notice each offers the SAME file. Also notice they are bundled
downloads. The file is 16.8MB in size, which is huge if all it were
just one add-on.

Now hover any of their "Free download. Internet Explorer 8 optimized for
eBay" links. In the status bar, the file link goes to:

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe

Lookie. The SAME file again. All links go to the same file. My guess
is they are shoving an entire IE8 32-bit installation package at you
that includes their accelerators pre-installed. Well, you ARE visiting
their customized IE8 download page, after all. The navigation path to
this page is "Home > Internet Explorer 8 optimized for eBay" (it's shown
there right at the top left of the web page).

You could use the "Contact Us" link at eBay to ask *them* if they
provide those add-ons separately or just what is in that same file used
for all add-on downloads.
rob^_^

Re: IE8 eBay Utilities
Hi,

It's the Ebay IE8 Build bundled with the (new) Ebay Accelerators and Web
Slice widget and the Ebay toolbar (Optimized for IE8 etc).

Regards.

> Yogi wrote:
>
>> At http://ie8.ebay.com there are listed three addons, an Accelerator, Web
>> Slice, and Visual Search. However, all three install buttons lead to the
>> XML
>> file to install the Visual Search. I have managed to install the
>> Accelerator
>> from ieaddons.com. However, when you try to install the eBay Web Slice
>> listed on ieaddons.com, it takes you to http://ie8.ebay.com where the Web
>> Slice is not available. Is there anywhere else to go to get this Web
>> Slice?
>>
>> Yogi

> From the ie8.ebay.com web page:

> eBay Visual Search <span>Get instant search results</span>
> </a>
> eBay Accelerator <span>eBay search on any site</span>
> </a>
> eBay product updates <span>Using Web Slices</span>
> </a>
>
> So those links run .php scripts on their server. They take you to a
> short product description page with a download link. When I visited
> those product pages using IE8, the download links there were:
>
> eBay Visual Search:
> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>
> eBay Accelerator:
> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>
> eBay product updates:
> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>
> Notice each offers the SAME file. Also notice they are bundled
> downloads. The file is 16.8MB in size, which is huge if all it were
> just one add-on.
>
> Now hover any of their "Free download. Internet Explorer 8 optimized for
> eBay" links. In the status bar, the file link goes to:
>
> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>
> Lookie. The SAME file again. All links go to the same file. My guess
> is they are shoving an entire IE8 32-bit installation package at you
> that includes their accelerators pre-installed. Well, you ARE visiting
> their customized IE8 download page, after all. The navigation path to
> this page is "Home > Internet Explorer 8 optimized for eBay" (it's shown
> there right at the top left of the web page).
>
> You could use the "Contact Us" link at eBay to ask *them* if they
> provide those add-ons separately or just what is in that same file used
> for all add-on downloads.

Yogi

Re: IE8 eBay Utilities
Umm, no need to install a separate version of IE8.

If you take a look at the code on ie8.ebay.com again you'll see they have
code to check what OS and version of IE you are running (using an include of
detect.js). Also, on the "Find out more" PHP page, they have the same code.
It's supposed to work so that if it doesn't see IE8 it will give you the
"Download here" buttons to get you to install it. If it does see IE8, it
gives you the "Add to Internet Explorer 8" buttons to allow you to install
the Visual Search and Accelerator addons. The script isn't functioning
correctly right now, but it was for me yesterday, because I was seeing the
right buttons.

The Visual Search install button works fine. However, the XML file for the
Accelerator is simply wrong (it's linked to the Visual Search XML), but you
can install the correct Accelerator XML from
http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/s...g/Find_on_eBay at the main
ieaddons.com site.

My original e-mail is in regards to the eBay Web Slice. You don't really
"install" a Web Slice. Really, it is similar to an RSS feed crossed with a
web page and you are simply adding it to your Favorites. The Web Slices are
just a specially coded section of a page such as when you go to
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=weather&form=QBLH and hover over the
weather.

After doing some more searching I came across this video of how the eBay
addons are supposed to work, including the Web Slice:

http://www.articlesbase.com/videos/5min/90111838

You can see that the Web Slice is supposed to just be a special eBay search
with each item specially coded as a Web Slice component. It looks like they
changed the ie8.ebay.com page so that is doesn't have the search anymore.
Instead, they have it linked to the XML for the Visual Search. Someone over
at eBay just needs to fix that (as well as the link to the XML for the
Accelerator). There is a thread on eBay's Answer Center regarding the
problem, as well:

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread....=1237946603977

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it's not really a separate version
of IE8 that you need to install. Hopefully, they get rid of the need for a
separate, "Web Slice enabled" search and just integrate it into the main
eBay site. I kinda doubt that will happen, though.

Yogi

news2A55CD1-1B57-40E0-BA34-8CFFBCBE7BC9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> It's the Ebay IE8 Build bundled with the (new) Ebay Accelerators and Web
> Slice widget and the Ebay toolbar (Optimized for IE8 etc).
>
> Regards.
>
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Yogi wrote:
>>
>>> At http://ie8.ebay.com there are listed three addons, an Accelerator,
>>> Web
>>> Slice, and Visual Search. However, all three install buttons lead to the
>>> XML
>>> file to install the Visual Search. I have managed to install the
>>> Accelerator
>>> from ieaddons.com. However, when you try to install the eBay Web Slice
>>> listed on ieaddons.com, it takes you to http://ie8.ebay.com where the
>>> Web
>>> Slice is not available. Is there anywhere else to go to get this Web
>>> Slice?
>>>
>>> Yogi

>> From the ie8.ebay.com web page:

>> eBay Visual Search <span>Get instant search results</span>
>> </a>
>> eBay Accelerator <span>eBay search on any site</span>
>> </a>
>> eBay product updates <span>Using Web Slices</span>
>> </a>
>>
>> So those links run .php scripts on their server. They take you to a
>> short product description page with a download link. When I visited
>> those product pages using IE8, the download links there were:
>>
>> eBay Visual Search:
>> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>>
>> eBay Accelerator:
>> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>>
>> eBay product updates:
>> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>>
>> Notice each offers the SAME file. Also notice they are bundled
>> downloads. The file is 16.8MB in size, which is huge if all it were
>> just one add-on.
>>
>> Now hover any of their "Free download. Internet Explorer 8 optimized for
>> eBay" links. In the status bar, the file link goes to:
>>
>> http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c423...eBay_EN-US.exe
>>
>> Lookie. The SAME file again. All links go to the same file. My guess
>> is they are shoving an entire IE8 32-bit installation package at you
>> that includes their accelerators pre-installed. Well, you ARE visiting
>> their customized IE8 download page, after all. The navigation path to
>> this page is "Home > Internet Explorer 8 optimized for eBay" (it's shown
>> there right at the top left of the web page).
>>
>> You could use the "Contact Us" link at eBay to ask *them* if they
>> provide those add-ons separately or just what is in that same file used
>> for all add-on downloads.

Yogi

Re: IE8 eBay Utilities
Looks like they have rolled out the Web Slice enabled search to all of the
main eBay site. Web Slices show up on the results page for any search I do
on eBay now.

Yogi