IE8 Doesn't Open from e-mail link

hunterabq

IE8 Doesn't Open from e-mail link
Since installing IE8, whenever I select a link from an e-mail, IE8 never
opens. If I go to it from the task bar, I get a message that my last session
failed and wants to know if I want to go back to that session or go to my
home page.

What's the issues? E-mail links work fine in Mozilla.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Doesn't Open from e-mail link
Is IE 8 your default e-mail program?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

hunterabq wrote:
> Since installing IE8, whenever I select a link from an e-mail, IE8 never
> opens. If I go to it from the task bar, I get a message that my last session
> failed and wants to know if I want to go back to that session or go to my
> home page.
>
> What's the issues? E-mail links work fine in Mozilla.

VanguardLH

Leonard Grey wrote:

> hunterabq wrote:
>> Since installing IE8, whenever I select a link from an e-mail, IE8 never
>> opens. If I go to it from the task bar, I get a message that my last session
>> failed and wants to know if I want to go back to that session or go to my
>> home page.
>>
>> What's the issues? E-mail links work fine in Mozilla.

> Is IE 8 your default e-mail program?

IE does not and never has support e-mail protocols. So how could it be
the default e-mail program?

My guess based on mention of IE and e-mail is that the OP is using IE to
access the webmail agent at some unidentified site to get at their
contents of their mailbox.
VanguardLH

hunterabq wrote:

> Since installing IE8, whenever I select a link from an e-mail, IE8 never
> opens. If I go to it from the task bar, I get a message that my last session
> failed and wants to know if I want to go back to that session or go to my
> home page.
>
> What's the issues? E-mail links work fine in Mozilla.

Does the webmail agent at the unidentified e-mail service provider yet
support IE8? What have you already tried to solve the problem (so we
don't duplicate your efforts)?

You never mention using an e-mail client. IE is not an e-mail client.
It is a web browser. So are we to assume that you are connecting to
some e-mail site using IE and using their webmail agent to access your
mailbox? Or do we assume you neglected to mention what e-mail client
that you are using to retrieve e-mails from your mailbox? Are you in IE
to see the e-mail in which you click a URL link? Or are you in an
e-mail client and clicking on a URL link in an e-mail?

"E-mail" is a document. It doesn't say HOW you are accessing that
document. It's possible you are using something other than a webmail
agent (via IE) or an e-mail client to view that document. You are
posting in a newsgroup that discusses IE so the heavier weight for
assumption would go to you using IE to connect to an e-mail site to use
their webmail agent to access the e-mails in your mailbox there.

Assuming you are in IE and using the e-mail provider's webmail agent to
view your mailbox items (so you are in IE when you click on a link),
have you yet tried the following (one at a time) and retested?

- Change to Compatibility mode and refresh the web page. (1)
- Use Compatibility mode and use a different user-agent string. (2)
- Load IE8 in its no add-ons mode. (3)
- Disable the DEP/NX buffer overrun option: Internet Options -> Advanced
tab -> Security section -> Enable memory protection to help mitigate
online attacks.
- Reboot into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking).
- Disable all security software (anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall).

(1) The Compatibility button does not always appear for every site. Try
it if it appears and make sure to refresh the page.
(2) You lie to the site as to what web browser and version of it that
you are using to connect to that site. Web pages can be coded to
handle multiple different web browsers. They may be using a branch
of code that doesn't work with IE8 but might still render okay in
IE8 if you lie to the site that, for example, you are using IE7.
UAPick makes this handy. Change the user-agent string (to like that
you are using IE7), change to Compatibility mode, and refresh.
(http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp)
(3) Right-click on the IE desktop icon and choose "Start with add-ons".
Many add-ons are not compatible with new features in IE8.

Did you try copying the URL link from the e-mail, loading IE8 yourself,
and then pasting that URL into IE's address bar to see if IE8 can
actually render that site without problems?
Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 Doesn't Open from e-mail link
My guess is that the OP is clicking a hyperlink (to a web site) in an e-mail
message (whatever client) and expects IE to open that site.

huterabq - with IE closed, try re-registering this dll by typing this at a
command prompt (elevated if using Vista)
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Steve