what is IETldCache

ie8 creates an "IETldCache" folder in %USERPROFILE%, containing index.dat,
which seems to contain a random selection of second level domains which were
never visited. Where does that list come from and how is it used?

Re: what is IETldCache
<_> wrote in message news:%23pt$w0gsJHA.4140@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> ie8 creates an "IETldCache" folder in %USERPROFILE%, containing index.dat,
> which seems to contain a random selection of second level domains which
> were never visited. Where does that list come from and how is it used?

No one from MS read this group?

Re: what is IETldCache
_ wrote:
>> ie8 creates an "IETldCache" folder in %USERPROFILE%, containing
>> index.dat,
>> which seems to contain a random selection of second level domains which
>> were never visited. Where does that list come from and how is it used?

> No one from MS read this group?

This is a peer-to-peer support newsgroup which the IE Team may occasionally
monitor.

See if this recent post in IE Blog gives you a clue or two:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie8-rtw.aspx

More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...patibility&p=1

More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...d+sites%22&p=1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: what is IETldCache
>_ wrote:
>>> ie8 creates an "IETldCache" folder in %USERPROFILE%, containing
>>> index.dat,
>>> which seems to contain a random selection of second level domains which
>>> were never visited. Where does that list come from and how is it used?

>> No one from MS read this group?

> This is a peer-to-peer support newsgroup which the IE Team may
> occasionally monitor.
>
> See if this recent post in IE Blog gives you a clue or two:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie8-rtw.aspx
>
> More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...patibility&p=1
>
> More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...d+sites%22&p=1

There is no indication that "%USERPROFILE%\IETldCache\index.dat" has
anything to do with the compatibility list. Why are you suggesting it does?

I've already searched for IETldCache on MSDN, MSTN, MSKB, and blogs, there
are no hits. So if the IE team does occasionally monitor, it would be nice
for them to explain it.

na2rboy

Re: what is IETldCache
My computer is hanging for a few seconds each time I access certain
addresses, and using Process Monitor, I see it is hanging when accessing
IETldCache/index.dat. Does anyone from MS know what this is and how to
disable it? It is accessed even when using Firefox.

"_" wrote:

> >> No one from MS read this group?

> > This is a peer-to-peer support newsgroup which the IE Team may
> > occasionally monitor.
> >
> > See if this recent post in IE Blog gives you a clue or two:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie8-rtw.aspx
> >
> > More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...patibility&p=1
> >
> > More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...d+sites%22&p=1

> There is no indication that "%USERPROFILE%\IETldCache\index.dat" has
> anything to do with the compatibility list. Why are you suggesting it does?
>
> I've already searched for IETldCache on MSDN, MSTN, MSKB, and blogs, there
> are no hits. So if the IE team does occasionally monitor, it would be nice
> for them to explain it.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: what is IETldCache

"na2rboy" <na2rboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18D0E1F2-8396-4EB6-B08A-B3DE65DC5577@microsoft.com...
> My computer is hanging for a few seconds each time I access certain
> addresses, and using Process Monitor, I see it is hanging when accessing
> IETldCache/index.dat. Does anyone from MS know what this is and how to
> disable it? It is accessed even when using Firefox.

My guess is that it is an assist for that TLD coloring feature in the Address bar.

Do a find /i "ietld:" index.dat to see that all it is is a list of unusual multi level
"TLD" names. Some users were offended that theirs weren't being recognized
as TLD names earlier, so this would be a way of solving that issue. Hopefully
the file will be signed, otherwise this might be a great opportunity for the bad guys
to make their domain names look good too. ; }

---

> "_" wrote:

>> > This is a peer-to-peer support newsgroup which the IE Team may
>> > occasionally monitor.
>> >
>> > See if this recent post in IE Blog gives you a clue or two:
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie8-rtw.aspx
>> >
>> > More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...patibility&p=1
>> >
>> > More: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...d+sites%22&p=1

>> There is no indication that "%USERPROFILE%\IETldCache\index.dat" has
>> anything to do with the compatibility list. Why are you suggesting it does?
>>
>> I've already searched for IETldCache on MSDN, MSTN, MSKB, and blogs, there
>> are no hits. So if the IE team does occasionally monitor, it would be nice
>> for them to explain it.

na2rboy

Re: what is IETldCache
Ahhhhh, after literally 8+ hours over two nights trying to figure this out, I
found this page:
http://windowsfixup.com/2009/03/spee...et-explorer-8/

which has a utility to delete all of the restricted sites that
Spywareblaster, Spybot S-D and IESpyAd had added. I ran the inf file, and
immediately every internet-related program was back to normal. As someone on
another page said, it appears IE8 has its own way to handle restricted sites,
and all of these additions were bogging it down.

It was the craziest thing--I would run the Malwarebytes updater, and it
would hang for 10-15 seconds before connecting and downloading an update.
Firefox too, in certain situations.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "na2rboy" <na2rboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18D0E1F2-8396-4EB6-B08A-B3DE65DC5577@microsoft.com...
> > My computer is hanging for a few seconds each time I access certain
> > addresses, and using Process Monitor, I see it is hanging when accessing
> > IETldCache/index.dat. Does anyone from MS know what this is and how to
> > disable it? It is accessed even when using Firefox.

> My guess is that it is an assist for that TLD coloring feature in the Address bar.
>
> Do a find /i "ietld:" index.dat to see that all it is is a list of unusual multi level
> "TLD" names. Some users were offended that theirs weren't being recognized
> as TLD names earlier, so this would be a way of solving that issue. Hopefully
> the file will be signed, otherwise this might be a great opportunity for the bad guys
> to make their domain names look good too. ; }
>

> ---
>

> > "_" wrote:
> >
> >> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> There is no indication that "%USERPROFILE%\IETldCache\index.dat" has
> >> anything to do with the compatibility list. Why are you suggesting it does?
> >>
> >> I've already searched for IETldCache on MSDN, MSTN, MSKB, and blogs, there
> >> are no hits. So if the IE team does occasionally monitor, it would be nice
> >> for them to explain it.

Re: what is IETldCache
Why did you hijack someone else's thread?

See this related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
--
~PA Bear

na2rboy wrote:
> Ahhhhh, after literally 8+ hours over two nights trying to figure this
> out,
> I found this page:
> http://windowsfixup.com/2009/03/spee...et-explorer-8/
>
> which has a utility to delete all of the restricted sites that
> Spywareblaster, Spybot S-D and IESpyAd had added. I ran the inf file, and
> immediately every internet-related program was back to normal. As someone
> on
> another page said, it appears IE8 has its own way to handle restricted
> sites, and all of these additions were bogging it down.
>
> It was the craziest thing--I would run the Malwarebytes updater, and it
> would hang for 10-15 seconds before connecting and downloading an update.
> Firefox too, in certain situations.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "na2rboy" <na2rboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> My computer is hanging for a few seconds each time I access certain
>>> addresses, and using Process Monitor, I see it is hanging when accessing
>>> IETldCache/index.dat. Does anyone from MS know what this is and how to
>>> disable it? It is accessed even when using Firefox.

>> My guess is that it is an assist for that TLD coloring feature in the
>> Address bar.
>>
>> Do a find /i "ietld:" index.dat to see that all it is is a list of
>> unusual multi level "TLD" names. Some users were offended that theirs
>> weren't being recognized
>> as TLD names earlier, so this would be a way of solving that issue.
>> Hopefully
>> the file will be signed, otherwise this might be a great opportunity for
>> the bad guys
>> to make their domain names look good too. ; }
>>

>> ---

na2rboy

Re: what is IETldCache
Man, it is high-horse responses like this that make people not ask questions.
If you read above, you can see I thought I was having an issue with
IETldCache. Then I finally figured out it wasn't, so I wanted to post and
state such (and what the actual problem was). Thanks "MS MVP."

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why did you hijack someone else's thread?
>
> See this related discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> na2rboy wrote:
> > Ahhhhh, after literally 8+ hours over two nights trying to figure this
> > out,
> > I found this page:
> > http://windowsfixup.com/2009/03/spee...et-explorer-8/
> >
> > which has a utility to delete all of the restricted sites that
> > Spywareblaster, Spybot S-D and IESpyAd had added. I ran the inf file, and
> > immediately every internet-related program was back to normal. As someone
> > on
> > another page said, it appears IE8 has its own way to handle restricted
> > sites, and all of these additions were bogging it down.
> >
> > It was the craziest thing--I would run the Malwarebytes updater, and it
> > would hang for 10-15 seconds before connecting and downloading an update.
> > Firefox too, in certain situations.
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >

> >> "na2rboy" <na2rboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> My guess is that it is an assist for that TLD coloring feature in the
> >> Address bar.
> >>
> >> Do a find /i "ietld:" index.dat to see that all it is is a list of
> >> unusual multi level "TLD" names. Some users were offended that theirs
> >> weren't being recognized
> >> as TLD names earlier, so this would be a way of solving that issue.
> >> Hopefully
> >> the file will be signed, otherwise this might be a great opportunity for
> >> the bad guys
> >> to make their domain names look good too. ; }
> >>

> >> ---

ju.c

Re: what is IETldCache
If you want to keep your Trusted Sites, use:

ZonedOut - the IE zone manager.
Import, Export and Manager Internet explorers Zones.

ZonedOut 226 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.funkytoad.com/
Download: http://www.funkytoad.com/download/ZonedOut.zip

ju.c