IE8 Tab Problem

herosandwich

IE8 Tab Problem
I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check that
allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7. Instead
all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right. Why?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Tab Problem

"herosandwich" <herosandwich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E16A93D7-3F99-4CF9-96A1-48D65C19719C@microsoft.com...
>I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check that
> allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7. Instead
> all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right. Why?

That feature is now implied by one or more of the other options.
E.g. try using Enable Tab Groups for a start (in Tabbed Browsing Settings).
Then see what Always switch to new tabs when they are created does
differently. You can also experiment with Use most recent order when
switching tabs with Ctrl+Tab (in Options, Advanced, Browsing section)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 Tab Problem
herosandwich wrote:

> I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check that
> allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7. Instead
> all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right.

New feature: color-coded grouping.

New version. Means things change.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-tab-page.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-browsing.aspx
Tab Grouping section

You can disable the Tab Grouping option but that doesn't make the old
options reappear for where the new tab appears. With Tab Grouping
enabled, the new tab goes into the matching tab group. Grouping also
means you can close a group of tabs instead of doing them one by one or
all at once (other than the one you are on).

> Why?
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Suggestions aren't questions. Don't post questions as suggestions.
penartur

Re: IE8 Tab Problem
"Victek" wrote:
> Are you aware of the new tab grouping feature in IE 8? Tabs opened from
> links on the same page open to the right of the active tab and are grouped
> together (and share the same color). Favorites opened in a new tab open to
> the right of all currently open tabs. I believe you are correct that you
> cannot force all tabs to open to the right of the active tab.

"Open new tabs next to the current tab" and tabs grouping are independent
features (although both of them are dealing with tabs).
If i enable tabs grouping, i still want new tabs (opened by CtrlClick on a
link, or "open this link in a new tab" from a link's context menu) appearing
right to the current tab, not last in the group.
Imagine that you're e.g. searching something by google. You're opening first
result, then second, third etc... and now you're have one tab group with all
this results. You're reading some result page, and wanting to go through the
some link on it; you're CtrlClick-ing on it, and it opens not next to your
current tab (so you can just CtrlTab to it), but somewhere on the end of your
tab group, that could contain several dozens of tabs, and you just will not
see this "new tab" as it will be somewhere very far away from your current
tab.
Of course, there are people that prefer "open tabs last in the group/last at
all if grouped tabs are disabled" option, but in IE7 we was given an option,
and there is no such option in IE8.
Inability to enable this thing makes IE8 completely unusable for me, because
i will spend half of the time searching for tabs i've opened; and then,
searching for the tab i've opened these tabs from.
Please, forgive me my bad english. I'm just trying to describe an importance
of this feature to me (and, i think, to many other people as well); and i
wonder why everybody in MS are confusing this two features ("Open tabs next
to the current tab" and tabs grouping). They're completely independent; but
it seems that someone who have projected all this just said "okay, we have
tabs grouping here, so people should be happy with new tabs opening on the
end of the group; at least, it is not so far as the end of all tabs list, so
let's remove this feature".

PS: 2OP, the title you've chosen for this thread is too uncertain, there
could be a billiong of different tab problems
rwier

RE: IE8 Tab Problem
"herosandwich" wrote:

> I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check that
> allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7. Instead
> all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right. Why?
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

It seems that it is difficult for many to understand this problem you (we)
have with IE8. I agree completely that the lack of the "directly to the right
of" tab option in IE8 is completely unacceptable and needs to be fixed pronto.
Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 Tab Problem
This is a result of Tab Grouping
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-grouping.aspx
New tabs open to the right of the tab group. If you just keep opening new
tabs, they are all the same group and new ones will open to the right of the
group. The easiest way to open a tab to the right of the current tab, is to
first ungroup the current tab. Right click on the tab & choose 'ungroup
this tab'. Then, do your normal 'open in new tab' and these two will be
grouped together with the new one being to the right of the first.

--
Steve

"rwier" <rwier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "herosandwich" wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check
>> that
>> allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7.
>> Instead
>> all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right. Why?
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

> It seems that it is difficult for many to understand this problem you (we)
> have with IE8. I agree completely that the lack of the "directly to the
> right
> of" tab option in IE8 is completely unacceptable and needs to be fixed
> pronto.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Tab Problem
"Steve Hebert" <smah_nospam_steve@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:C25A351D-5313-4591-9207-FB4440B3BEA6@microsoft.com...
> This is a result of Tab Grouping
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-grouping.aspx
> New tabs open to the right of the tab group. If you just keep opening new
> tabs, they are all the same group and new ones will open to the right of the
> group. The easiest way to open a tab to the right of the current tab, is to
> first ungroup the current tab. Right click on the tab & choose 'ungroup
> this tab'. Then, do your normal 'open in new tab' and these two will be
> grouped together with the new one being to the right of the first.

And, as I mentioned to the OP in March...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...90c&sloc=en-us

<quote note="emphasis added">
You can also experiment with
Use most recent order when switching tabs with Ctrl+Tab
(in Options, Advanced, Browsing section)
</quote>

; )

Robert
---

> --
> Steve
>

> "rwier" <rwier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "herosandwich" wrote:
>>
>>> I just upgraded to IE8. Under the Tab Settings there is no box to check
>>> that
>>> allows new Tabs to open next to the current tab like there is in IE7.
>>> Instead
>>> all new tabs open next to the last tab on the right. Why?
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>>> "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>>> this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>>> then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

>> It seems that it is difficult for many to understand this problem you (we)
>> have with IE8. I agree completely that the lack of the "directly to the
>> right
>> of" tab option in IE8 is completely unacceptable and needs to be fixed
>> pronto.

RozKidoo

Re: IE8 Tab Problem
Suggestion for the better.
When using Tab Groups and I want to open a new tab group from a link. Why is
there no quick menu or keyboard shortcut to do it?
When not using Tab Groups and want old IE7 behavor back. Why not let the
user decide with options?

I am not using IE8 until it works like i want to.