urlmon craches in IE*

dovkass

urlmon craches in IE*
i have installed IE8 and 99% of my sites work fine.

Two sites are giving me the same porbelm over and over again and I get the
same error message with both sites.

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer:8.0.6001.18702
Modname: urlmon.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18702
Offset: 0003e819

I have already tried regsvr32 urlmon.dll with no improvement

I have also set the compatibility mode for the two sites to no avail.

Any ideas?
rob^_^

Re: urlmon craches in IE*
Hi Dov,

Which two sites please? Are they using Flash controls?

Regards.

"dovkass" <dovkass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have installed IE8 and 99% of my sites work fine.
>
> Two sites are giving me the same porbelm over and over again and I get the
> same error message with both sites.
>
> AppName: iexplore.exe
> AppVer:8.0.6001.18702
> Modname: urlmon.dll
> ModVer: 8.0.6001.18702
> Offset: 0003e819
>
> I have already tried regsvr32 urlmon.dll with no improvement
>
> I have also set the compatibility mode for the two sites to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?

blsemp

Re: urlmon craches in IE*
I am having the same problem. Here is a site.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ategory=NEWS01
--
blsemp

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Dov,
>
> Which two sites please? Are they using Flash controls?
>
> Regards.
>
> "dovkass" <dovkass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i have installed IE8 and 99% of my sites work fine.
> >
> > Two sites are giving me the same porbelm over and over again and I get the
> > same error message with both sites.
> >
> > AppName: iexplore.exe
> > AppVer:8.0.6001.18702
> > Modname: urlmon.dll
> > ModVer: 8.0.6001.18702
> > Offset: 0003e819
> >
> > I have already tried regsvr32 urlmon.dll with no improvement
> >
> > I have also set the compatibility mode for the two sites to no avail.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: urlmon craches in IE*

"blsemp" <dmpd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:525B6A7C-871B-430A-82BE-8B97E73A8D41@microsoft.com...
>I am having the same problem. Here is a site.
> http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ategory=NEWS01

Got one error. Then a message about switching to compatibility mode.
No crash.

<paste>
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MS-RTC LM 8)
Timestamp: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 02:01:15 UTC

Message: Syntax error
Line: 3
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ry=Fron tpage
</paste>

Funny static noises from my speakers though.
Is there supposed to be sound there?

Rob is correct; there is Flash on that page.
FWIW I am using Adobe Flash 10.0.12.36

Ha. I right-clicked on the Flash program and About 10... took me to Adobe's
web site. That's when it crashed (supposedly--no change in either tab.)

<paste>
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 8.0.6001.18372 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 629aaa80
</paste>

Process Explorer isn't showing anything loaded under iexplore.exe there.
(Hence ModName: unknown.) The closest thing to it is tquery.dll (0x60000000)
and langwrbk.dll (0x62C70000). Unfortunately I didn't have ProcExp
loaded before the crash or I might have had a Stack dump for it.
Strangely Dr Watson is not intercepting this exception but in fact
I think Dr Watson has been out of commission for quite a while... ; ]

Well, as long as I'm there I guess I might as well get the latest version.
Requires Adobe AIR? WTH is that? Wow. What a confusing UI...
It indicated it was done but when I closed IE it evidently hadn't done
a thing...

Anyway, back to your page. Same error. Same static noise.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MS-RTC LM 8)
Timestamp: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 02:31:03 UTC

Message: Syntax error
Line: 3
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ry=Fron tpage

Oh. Another syntax error.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MS-RTC LM 8)
Timestamp: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 02:32:32 UTC

Message: Syntax error
Line: 3
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ry=Fron tpage

Same one. Maybe it crashed and restarted when I wasn't looking? <eg>

So that's a difference, instead of being able to right-click in a Flash program
I just get another syntax error. But no crash.

Now I've checked that I have the latest version of Flash.

Good. Now I'm getting an Information bar asking if I want to use Flash. No.
So no more problems at all. YMMV

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rob^_^

Re: urlmon craches in IE*
Hi Robert,

I can load the page
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ategory=NEWS01 no
problems, however I am unable to validate the page with the W3C validator.

I have placed a "Report a Web Page" error report.

An inspection of the source reveals that the page is being built on the fly
from injected scripts.

There is this interesting line -

<!-- Domain name -->
document.domain="greenvilleonline.com";
</script>

which I think indicates that perhaps on of the OP's security settings may be
causing their browsers to crash.

Otherwise, yes there may be other issues for these OP's because of Flash
content.

Regards.

> [...]

> http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ry=Fron tpage
>
> Oh. Another syntax error.
>
> Webpage error details
>
> User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1;
> Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MS-RTC LM 8)
> Timestamp: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 02:32:32 UTC
>

> Message: Syntax error
> Line: 3
> Char: 1
> Code: 0
> URI:
> http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ry=Fron tpage
>
> Same one. Maybe it crashed and restarted when I wasn't looking? <eg>
>
> So that's a difference, instead of being able to right-click in a Flash
> program
> I just get another syntax error. But no crash.
>
> Now I've checked that I have the latest version of Flash.
>
> Good. Now I'm getting an Information bar asking if I want to use Flash.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: urlmon craches in IE*

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:B45E2768-93EB-4FCF-8F7A-5AD68E3B1FDF@microsoft.com...
> Hi Robert,
>
> I can load the page
> http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...ategory=NEWS01 no problems,

I don't think it is just loading the page which is the issue here,
at least for me. It is only when I tried interacting with the Flash content,
e.g. right-click About... that the crashes started. They became worse
after installing the latest Flash player, including the aforementioned,
Adobe AIR.

I have now uninstalled the whole lot. If I need Flash I will go to the
Adobe archive site and get the one that was working for me before.
I suspect that this is yet another example of sites not testing during
the IE8 beta and now displaying the symptoms of that negligence
to their whole user base.

BTW this morning I found another automatic updater from Adobe
running which could only be terminated by using TM. Unbelievable!

Robert
---

rob^_^

Re: urlmon craches in IE*
Yes,

It seems every piece of third-party software is being bundled with an
updating service... shish! Adobe, Quicktime, Google, Yahoo, AOL...

Regards.