IE8 doesn't open file downloaded

YYZRic

IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
When you click on a link to download a file, only the first download works,
all subsequent downloads will get stuck on 99%. I've experienced this
behaviour on IE8 Beta, and it's now happening on the released version of IE8.
It happens for all file types (.zip, .rar, .pdf and even photos from
Hotmail), and it's not related to a site, it happens for any site.

I read in a newsgroup this issue was related to ANTIVIRUS program, so I
uninstalled AVAST ANTIVIRUS (rebooted), and I still had the same problem
downloading files. I even subscribed to MICROSOFT ONE CARE, hoping it would
be better integrated with VISTA, but no luck.

I've also checked all possible options in Tools > Internet Options >
Advanced, and couldn't find anything that would help with this issue.

Please help.

IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
RAM: 8 GB
System type: 64-bit
Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
Windows is activated
mkeen211

RE: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded

Was curious if you found a sloution i am having the same problem as well
with 3 computers in the house and seems like I tried everything you did with
no results
"YYZRic" wrote:

> When you click on a link to download a file, only the first download works,
> all subsequent downloads will get stuck on 99%. I've experienced this
> behaviour on IE8 Beta, and it's now happening on the released version of IE8.
> It happens for all file types (.zip, .rar, .pdf and even photos from
> Hotmail), and it's not related to a site, it happens for any site.
>
> I read in a newsgroup this issue was related to ANTIVIRUS program, so I
> uninstalled AVAST ANTIVIRUS (rebooted), and I still had the same problem
> downloading files. I even subscribed to MICROSOFT ONE CARE, hoping it would
> be better integrated with VISTA, but no luck.
>
> I've also checked all possible options in Tools > Internet Options >
> Advanced, and couldn't find anything that would help with this issue.
>
> Please help.
>
> IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
> RAM: 8 GB
> System type: 64-bit
> Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
> Windows is activated

YYZRic

RE: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
I haven't found a solution yet, and I don't think anybody from MICROSOFT
reads this group. It's hard to believe they haven't experienced this issue
and published a hotfix.

Whenever I need to download something, I download from my other computer - a
MAC with SAFARI.

Which version of VISTA are you using on your computers? 32 or 64-bit?
I'm using 64-bit, and I'm afraid it's an issue with 64-bit version only,
because nobody else seems to complain about this issue.

"mkeen211" wrote:

> Was curious if you found a sloution i am having the same problem as well
> with 3 computers in the house and seems like I tried everything you did with
> no results
> "YYZRic" wrote:
>
> > When you click on a link to download a file, only the first download works,
> > all subsequent downloads will get stuck on 99%. I've experienced this
> > behaviour on IE8 Beta, and it's now happening on the released version of IE8.
> > It happens for all file types (.zip, .rar, .pdf and even photos from
> > Hotmail), and it's not related to a site, it happens for any site.
> >
> > I read in a newsgroup this issue was related to ANTIVIRUS program, so I
> > uninstalled AVAST ANTIVIRUS (rebooted), and I still had the same problem
> > downloading files. I even subscribed to MICROSOFT ONE CARE, hoping it would
> > be better integrated with VISTA, but no luck.
> >
> > I've also checked all possible options in Tools > Internet Options >
> > Advanced, and couldn't find anything that would help with this issue.
> >
> > Please help.
> >
> > IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> > Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
> > RAM: 8 GB
> > System type: 64-bit
> > Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
> > Windows is activated

Leo

Re: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
I'm unable to replicate your problem here and am wondering if it is not related
to something in your setup or a hardware problem.

--
Leo

Liberalism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

"mkeen211" <mkeen211@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Was curious if you found a sloution i am having the same problem as well
> with 3 computers in the house and seems like I tried everything you did with
> no results
> "YYZRic" wrote:
>
>> When you click on a link to download a file, only the first download works,
>> all subsequent downloads will get stuck on 99%. I've experienced this
>> behaviour on IE8 Beta, and it's now happening on the released version of IE8.
>> It happens for all file types (.zip, .rar, .pdf and even photos from
>> Hotmail), and it's not related to a site, it happens for any site.
>>
>> I read in a newsgroup this issue was related to ANTIVIRUS program, so I
>> uninstalled AVAST ANTIVIRUS (rebooted), and I still had the same problem
>> downloading files. I even subscribed to MICROSOFT ONE CARE, hoping it would
>> be better integrated with VISTA, but no luck.
>>
>> I've also checked all possible options in Tools > Internet Options >
>> Advanced, and couldn't find anything that would help with this issue.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
>> Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
>> RAM: 8 GB
>> System type: 64-bit
>> Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
>> Windows is activated

Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
Pick something secure & safe beforehand to download. Then, reboot in safe
mode with networking, navigate to that [known, safe] site and try
downloading that [known, safe] file. Does it behave properly when running
in safe mode?

Steve

"mkeen211" <mkeen211@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Was curious if you found a sloution i am having the same problem as well
> with 3 computers in the house and seems like I tried everything you did
> with
> no results
> "YYZRic" wrote:
>
>> When you click on a link to download a file, only the first download
>> works,
>> all subsequent downloads will get stuck on 99%. I've experienced this
>> behaviour on IE8 Beta, and it's now happening on the released version of
>> IE8.
>> It happens for all file types (.zip, .rar, .pdf and even photos from
>> Hotmail), and it's not related to a site, it happens for any site.
>>
>> I read in a newsgroup this issue was related to ANTIVIRUS program, so I
>> uninstalled AVAST ANTIVIRUS (rebooted), and I still had the same problem
>> downloading files. I even subscribed to MICROSOFT ONE CARE, hoping it
>> would
>> be better integrated with VISTA, but no luck.
>>
>> I've also checked all possible options in Tools > Internet Options >
>> Advanced, and couldn't find anything that would help with this issue.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
>> Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
>> RAM: 8 GB
>> System type: 64-bit
>> Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
>> Windows is activated

YYZRic

Re: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
Hi Steve,

I rebooted in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK, try to download some pictures from
HOTMAIL that I sent to myself, and the same thing happens: it stops at 99%
and it doesn't open the image. If I use SAFARI or FIREFOX, I can successfully
download the images.
I also tried a few other downloads from Microsoft site, and it's doesn't
work either.

I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE 64bit 8GB RAM, could you try to reproduce the
problem on the same OS?

Thank you

IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
RAM: 8 GB
System type: 64-bit
Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
Windows is activated

Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
I have no problem downloading anything. I think that the problem is not
directly IE. When using IE on Vista, downloaded files are saved to a
temporary location, then moved to the real download location. You can
sometimes see this and it happens when the download gets to about 99%. If
you create a new windows user account, does downloading behave correctly
there?

Steve

"YYZRic" <YYZRic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> I rebooted in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK, try to download some pictures from
> HOTMAIL that I sent to myself, and the same thing happens: it stops at 99%
> and it doesn't open the image. If I use SAFARI or FIREFOX, I can
> successfully
> download the images.
> I also tried a few other downloads from Microsoft site, and it's doesn't
> work either.
>
> I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE 64bit 8GB RAM, could you try to reproduce the
> problem on the same OS?
>
> Thank you
>
> IE8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits - Service Pack 1
> RAM: 8 GB
> System type: 64-bit
> Processor: Intel Xeon 3GHZ
> Windows is activated

YYZRic

Re: IE8 doesn't open file downloaded
I've tried that as well... created a new ADMIN user, rebooted the computer,
and no luck.

I believe the issue is IE8 conflicting with something else installed on my
computer. I disabled all ADD-INS, ANTIVIRUS, and FIREWALL, and still cannot
download.

I had the same problem with IE8 Beta a few months ago, so I uninstalled IE8
and went back to IE7. There's no issue downloading with IE7.

My next step is to install IE8 on a clean virtual machine (VMware). If it
works, than it's definitely a conflict with something else installed on my
computer. I have several development tools installed on this computer: SDKs,
SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008, Expression 2, and a few others.