IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL

Steve Klein

IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
I recently upgraded to IE8 RTM after running the beta sucessfully for a
number of weeks. Since upgrading, IE8 now reliably crashes in URLMON when
visiting one of my company's intranet pages, which is running sharepoint.
Most intranet sharepoint pages work, just this one crashes.

- I am running Vista SP1 x64
- The crash occurs with all add-ons disabled, and also occurs in safe mode.
- The upgrade to IE8 also causes the same crash in URLMON when starting
Office Communicator 2007 (Communicator is completely broken now).
- Uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE7 works fine on this intranet
page and also fixes the crash on Communicator 2007.

Here are the problem details for the IE8 crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003e819
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

=========================
Here are the problem details for the Communicator 2007 crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: communicator.exe
Application Version: 2.0.6362.111
Application Timestamp: 494871f7
Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003e819
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
Steve Klein wrote:

> I recently upgraded to IE8 RTM after running the beta sucessfully for a
> number of weeks. Since upgrading, IE8 now reliably crashes in URLMON when
> visiting one of my company's intranet pages, which is running sharepoint.
> Most intranet sharepoint pages work, just this one crashes.
>
> - I am running Vista SP1 x64
> - The crash occurs with all add-ons disabled, and also occurs in safe mode.
> - The upgrade to IE8 also causes the same crash in URLMON when starting
> Office Communicator 2007 (Communicator is completely broken now).
> - Uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE7 works fine on this intranet
> page and also fixes the crash on Communicator 2007.

Have you yet tried (one at a time) the following and then retest?
- Re-register urlmon.dll.
- Disable the DEP/NX buffer overrun option: Internet Options -> Advanced
tab -> Security section -> Enable memory protection to help mitigate
online attacks.
- Reboot into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking).
- Disable all security software (anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall).

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
And in Compatibility Mode, what happend?

Steve Klein wrote:
> I recently upgraded to IE8 RTM after running the beta sucessfully for a
> number of weeks. Since upgrading, IE8 now reliably crashes in URLMON when
> visiting one of my company's intranet pages, which is running sharepoint.
> Most intranet sharepoint pages work, just this one crashes.
>
> - I am running Vista SP1 x64
> - The crash occurs with all add-ons disabled, and also occurs in safe
> mode.
> - The upgrade to IE8 also causes the same crash in URLMON when starting
> Office Communicator 2007 (Communicator is completely broken now).
> - Uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE7 works fine on this intranet
> page and also fixes the crash on Communicator 2007.
>
> Here are the problem details for the IE8 crash:
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: iexplore.exe
> Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0003e819
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>
> =========================
> Here are the problem details for the Communicator 2007 crash:
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: communicator.exe
> Application Version: 2.0.6362.111
> Application Timestamp: 494871f7
> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0003e819
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Additional information about the problem:
> LCID: 1033

Steve Klein

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
Responding to both the previous posts --

- Re-registered urlmon.dll, still crashes
- Already tried safe mode (with networking), it still crashed
- Already tried disabling all firewall, AV, security - still crashed
- Disabled "memory protection", still crashes
- Already tried compatibility mode, still crashes in either mode.

I tried debugging both iexplore.exe and communicator.exe, and in both cases
the call stack shows urlmon.dll is failing in
CSecurityManager::CheckMappings(), which I believe is related to the security
zones. So I tried turning all the security settings to their lowest value in
all zones, and it still crashes. Also tried with and without "Protected
Mode", to no avail.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And in Compatibility Mode, what happend?
>
> Steve Klein wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to IE8 RTM after running the beta sucessfully for a
> > number of weeks. Since upgrading, IE8 now reliably crashes in URLMON when
> > visiting one of my company's intranet pages, which is running sharepoint.
> > Most intranet sharepoint pages work, just this one crashes.
> >
> > - I am running Vista SP1 x64
> > - The crash occurs with all add-ons disabled, and also occurs in safe
> > mode.
> > - The upgrade to IE8 also causes the same crash in URLMON when starting
> > Office Communicator 2007 (Communicator is completely broken now).
> > - Uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE7 works fine on this intranet
> > page and also fixes the crash on Communicator 2007.
> >
> > Here are the problem details for the IE8 crash:
> >
> > Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: iexplore.exe
> > Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> > Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
> > Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> > Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 0003e819
> > OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> > Additional Information 1: fd00
> > Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> > Additional Information 3: fd00
> > Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> >
> > =========================
> > Here are the problem details for the Communicator 2007 crash:
> >
> > Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: communicator.exe
> > Application Version: 2.0.6362.111
> > Application Timestamp: 494871f7
> > Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> > Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 0003e819
> > OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> >
> > Additional information about the problem:
> > LCID: 1033

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL

Steve Klein wrote:
> Responding to both the previous posts --
>
> - Re-registered urlmon.dll, still crashes
> - Already tried safe mode (with networking), it still crashed
> - Already tried disabling all firewall, AV, security - still crashed
> - Disabled "memory protection", still crashes
> - Already tried compatibility mode, still crashes in either mode.
>
> I tried debugging both iexplore.exe and communicator.exe, and in both
> cases
> the call stack shows urlmon.dll is failing in
> CSecurityManager::CheckMappings(), which I believe is related to the
> security zones. So I tried turning all the security settings to their
> lowest value in all zones, and it still crashes. Also tried with and
> without "Protected Mode", to no avail.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> And in Compatibility Mode, what happend?
>>
>> Steve Klein wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded to IE8 RTM after running the beta sucessfully for a
>>> number of weeks. Since upgrading, IE8 now reliably crashes in URLMON
>>> when
>>> visiting one of my company's intranet pages, which is running
>>> sharepoint.
>>> Most intranet sharepoint pages work, just this one crashes.
>>>
>>> - I am running Vista SP1 x64
>>> - The crash occurs with all add-ons disabled, and also occurs in safe
>>> mode.
>>> - The upgrade to IE8 also causes the same crash in URLMON when starting
>>> Office Communicator 2007 (Communicator is completely broken now).
>>> - Uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE7 works fine on this intranet
>>> page and also fixes the crash on Communicator 2007.
>>>
>>> Here are the problem details for the IE8 crash:
>>>
>>> Problem signature:
>>> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>>> Application Name: iexplore.exe
>>> Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
>>> Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
>>> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
>>> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
>>> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
>>> Exception Code: c0000005
>>> Exception Offset: 0003e819
>>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
>>> Locale ID: 1033
>>> Additional Information 1: fd00
>>> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>>> Additional Information 3: fd00
>>> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>>>
>>> =========================
>>> Here are the problem details for the Communicator 2007 crash:
>>>
>>> Problem signature:
>>> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>>> Application Name: communicator.exe
>>> Application Version: 2.0.6362.111
>>> Application Timestamp: 494871f7
>>> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
>>> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
>>> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
>>> Exception Code: c0000005
>>> Exception Offset: 0003e819
>>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
>>> Locale ID: 1033
>>>
>>> Additional information about the problem:
>>> LCID: 1033

Steve Klein

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
No AV or security was installed when I installed IE8. Even Defender was not
running, nor was any 3-rd party firewall (in fact, even Windows Firewall was
disabled).

The interesting thing is that IE8 RC1 (or a later beta, I can't remember)
was running on this machine, and did not have these crashes. It was only when
I upgraded to RTM that the crashes began. I can't absolutely swear that
nothing was installed between RC1 and RTM, but I don't think it was anything
other than Windows Update types of stuff.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> Steve Klein wrote:
> > Responding to both the previous posts --
> >
> > - Re-registered urlmon.dll, still crashes
> > - Already tried safe mode (with networking), it still crashed
> > - Already tried disabling all firewall, AV, security - still crashed
> > - Disabled "memory protection", still crashes
> > - Already tried compatibility mode, still crashes in either mode.
> >
> > I tried debugging both iexplore.exe and communicator.exe, and in both
> > cases
> > the call stack shows urlmon.dll is failing in
> > CSecurityManager::CheckMappings(), which I believe is related to the
> > security zones. So I tried turning all the security settings to their
> > lowest value in all zones, and it still crashes. Also tried with and
> > without "Protected Mode", to no avail.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> And in Compatibility Mode, what happend?

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
Steve Klein wrote:

> Responding to both the previous posts --
>
> - Re-registered urlmon.dll, still crashes
> - Already tried safe mode (with networking), it still crashed
> - Already tried disabling all firewall, AV, security - still crashed
> - Disabled "memory protection", still crashes
> - Already tried compatibility mode, still crashes in either mode.
>
> I tried debugging both iexplore.exe and communicator.exe, and in both cases
> the call stack shows urlmon.dll is failing in
> CSecurityManager::CheckMappings(), which I believe is related to the security
> zones. So I tried turning all the security settings to their lowest value in
> all zones, and it still crashes. Also tried with and without "Protected
> Mode", to no avail.

Did you erase all sites listed in all security zone? If there are
thousands of them, it's easier to delete and recreate the registry key
holding those entries. There is even an MVPS .inf file to do the same.
However, the CSecurityManager is part of the CryptoAPI (CAPI), not of
IE.

I suppose the CryptoAPI gets called by IE (as the parent process) if you
visited a site where login credentials were cached in the registry
(because they are encrypted there so someone just can't go perusing the
registry to grab logins for the auto-complete function in IE). It might
also get involved when using SSL to connect to a secured site. An app
can call CryptoAPI functions but they're not part of the app. Hard to
know if urlmon is composing an API call with illegal parameters or if
the problem resides in an update CryptoAPI. Maybe the CryptoAPI Monitor
(CAPIMON) can tell you where the calls are coming from (I've never used
it to know if it is usable).

You already know the calls are coming from urlmon.dll but maybe this
tells you more about the content or parameters of the call. Since
Office 2007 Communicator looks to be some type of collaboration
software, maybe it secures its network traffic (would be obvious if all
the URLs started with "https:"). Did you try putzing around with the
SSL/TSL settings in Advanced config settings for IE? SSL 2.0 is
disabled by default but maybe Communicator needs it.

In the Advanced tab for Internet Options, have you tried unchecking the
"Check for Server certificate revocation" option (and restart IE)?
Steve Klein

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
I installed CAPIMON but was not able to get it to actually log anything;
perhaps this is an x64 issue. However, running procmon shows that
communicator is heavily quering the internet explorer zone settings right
before it crashes, so I still think it has to do with the zone handling in
urlmon.dll.

I played around with various settings in the advanced tab, but to no avail.

Then I created a virtual machine running Vista SP1 x64 with IE8, and does
not fail if I am not logged into a domain -- when I hit our intranet site, it
prompts for a domain username/password, and when I enter one, IE renders the
page fine; however, when I log into the desktop using a domain account, and
then pull up the intranet page, it of course does not prompt me, but uses my
stored domain credentials, and this is when IE8 crashes in urlmon.

So the clean install in a VM really rules out a lot of configuration
problems or possible conflicts with 3rd-party apps. This was a clean install
from an ISO image, followed by installing IE8 with all defaults. That's all I
did.

Does anyone know how I might go about escalating this with Microsoft
Support? I looked around for IE8 support but the free support is for
non-domain-users only, and otherwise you have to use a support contract.

Steve Klein wrote:

> I looked around for IE8 support but the free support is for
> non-domain-users only, and otherwise you have to use a support contract.

"Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st
December 2009."
(shorter URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ceo4jd)

When you go through the prompts, pick Windows XP or Vista. Later you
get to pick Internet Explorer. You should get a no-charge call and case
number and then transferred to a 1st-line tech rep to discuss the issue.
Be persistent and polite. If you are calling for a request for
enhancement (RFE) to the product, make sure you fortify that reason for
calling so they understand you are not asking for technical support.
For an RFE, they don't even bother to ask for your Windows product ID.
For an RFE, don't demand that this be fixed now but are asking the
change be present in a future patch, update, or next minor version.

You could also try submitting feedback using the web form available for
IE8 Beta. Since IE8 is now released, Microsoft may no longer be
reviewing this feedback.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback

The first one (where you call) says it is not for advanced issues. The
2nd one (MS Connect) should be usable by anyone, even those logging
under a domain.
david@play-guitar.biz

Re: IE8 crashes in URLMON.DLL
On Apr 1, 5:51*am, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Steve Klein wrote:
> > I looked around for IE8 support but the free support is for
> > non-domain-users only, and otherwise you have to use a support contract..

> "Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st
> December 2009."http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?timestmp=63373588786106...
> (shorter URL:http://preview.tinyurl.com/ceo4jd)
>
> When you go through the prompts, pick Windows XP or Vista. *Later you
> get to pick Internet Explorer. *You should get a no-charge call and case
> number and then transferred to a 1st-line tech rep to discuss the issue.
> Be persistent and polite. *If you are calling for a request for
> enhancement (RFE) to the product, make sure you fortify that reason for
> calling so they understand you are not asking for technical support.
> For an RFE, they don't even bother to ask for your Windows product ID.
> For an RFE, don't demand that this be fixed now but are asking the
> change be present in a future patch, update, or next minor version.
>
> You could also try submitting feedback using the web form available for
> IE8 Beta. *Since IE8 is now released, Microsoft may no longer be
> reviewing this feedback. *
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback
>
> The first one (where you call) says it is not for advanced issues. *The
> 2nd one (MS Connect) should be usable by anyone, even those logging
> under a domain.

I've been suffering the same bug ever since installing IE8 on a PC
running Xp sp3. eventually went to microsoft.com support pages,
searched on Ie8 found no answer but did find an option to email them.
Did that, expecting ittle or nothing in response but did receive a
reply . unfortunately the initial advice was useless ( it was ideas
already tried likedisable Http1.1 in intenet options & reset security
zones to default & run without add-ons); the next advice was worse
than useless -
I was then told to replace urlmon.dll with an earlier version , but
when I switched in last but one urlmon.dll ( from an IE7 update I
think) that crashed exploerer after a restart. i.e. after reboiot
windows did not load - gave a missing ordinal 421 error in urlmon.dll
- then a blank desktop - no start button - no icons.
I was able - just- to reover from that by getting into taks manager
then into a dos windwo where I could renmae files & retrieve the
proper version, which I@d not deleted, hust renamed to urlmon.old.

So I complained to microsoft via the same email + one to the guys
supervisor & I've now had a phone call from microsoft to arrange for
their research team to call me. am awaiting that call now & will
report back if productive.

PS the web site route I used was microsoft.com --- help & support
home - problems with internet explorer -- then go though the wizard's
steps until it give up & offers a free contact us form. ( at the foot
of this page)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_symptoms2100