why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error

why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error
Instead of telling you what actually happened (such as: dns lookup failed,
server rejected tcp connection), which is useful information, it shows a
static page of guesses. Is there any way to change this?

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error
What page?

> What page?

Not sure what you are asking. I am referring to the ie8 "cannot display the
webpage" error page.

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error
Cite a webpage (link; URL) where you encounter this error.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

> Cite a webpage (link; URL) where you encounter this error.

I guess you didn't understand the first post, I am not asking for help
accessing any given url. I am asking why the error page conceals the cause
of the problem and if there is any setting that will force it to reveal it.

You can generate the error page by navigating to a non existent host (dns
error) or a non listening port on a real host (tcp connection error). The
ie8 error page will not tell you what actually failed, dns, tcp or whatever
other subsystem.

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error
If you choose not to quote my entire replies and only answer selective
questions, I can't help you. Good luck.

_ wrote:
>> Cite a webpage (link; URL) where you encounter this error.
>>

> I guess you didn't understand the first post, I am not asking for help
> accessing any given url. I am asking why the error page conceals the
> cause
> of the problem and if there is any setting that will force it to reveal
> it.
>
> You can generate the error page by navigating to a non existent host (dns
> error) or a non listening port on a real host (tcp connection error). The
> ie8 error page will not tell you what actually failed, dns, tcp or
> whatever
> other subsystem.

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page conceal the actual error
Alexander Grigoriev

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page conceal the actual error
Try to go to settings (Internet options), Advanced, disable Show Friendly
HTTP error messages.

But when it's a script fails, and IE displays little cute "Operation
aborted" box (and then resets already shown page), I agree, it sucks.

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Try to go to settings (Internet options), Advanced, disable Show Friendly
> HTTP error messages.

I already tried that and it has not effect. Both dns and connection errors
still produce the generic "cannot display" error page with no information.
Are you getting something different?

Max Burke

Re: why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actualerror
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Cite a webpage (link; URL) where you encounter this error.

My 2c worth...
I find that this error is completely random, it can occur on any web
page. Pressing F5 or CTRL F5 IE8 connects to the web page.
The next time I go to that web page it doesn't happen (I dont get the
error.)

The symptoms are:
You click on a link in Google and IE8 immediately says 'cannot display
web page' with reasons why (offline, web site down, etc), and possible
fixes.
Or you type in a url and it happens. Or you click on a favourites
icon/link and it happens

Pressing F5 or CTRL F5 forces IE8 to display the website.

Some of the websites it has happened on are:

My homepage: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke (just happened
now as I'm typing this, F5 fixed it)
Major Geeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/
Google home page (NZ Google and Google.com)
Wikipedia home page

And numerous other websites since installing IE8 RTM

I haven't been able to determine any pattern to it, and it's the last
annoyance with IE8 RTM that I want to fix. The URLMON crashes seem to
have stopped, I haven't had any for the last 3 days.

I have re-installed Spyware Blaster with it's immunise option disabled
and IE8 is working fine with it installed.