Deprecate text/javascript

Markus Peloquin

Deprecate text/javascript
text/javascript was deprecated three years ago in favor of
application/javascript: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4329#section-3

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: Deprecate text/javascript
This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

"Markus Peloquin" <Markus Peloquin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsDAC3CEB-2EB0-437C-A74F-CABF99CBBFCD@microsoft.com...
> text/javascript was deprecated three years ago in favor of
> application/javascript: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4329#section-3
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

VanguardLH

Markus Peloquin wrote:

> text/javascript was deprecated three years ago in favor of
> application/javascript: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4329#section-3

Deprecated does NOT mean unsupported; see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecate

Contact the web site where you feel they should update the code on their
web page.

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

<CLEAR> is also a deprecated tag. The ALIGN attribute in tags is
deprecated because, gee, we're supposed to be using style sheets now.
Doesn't mean sites don't still use them. Doesn't mean web browsers
won't support them.

Your suggestion won't happen until the deprecated attribute is actually
*removed* from a later HTML specification and until the web browsers no
longer support the older HTML specifications for backward compatibility.

Deprecation means old, not gone.
Markus Peloquin

Re: Deprecate text/javascript
The point is that 'application/javascript' is not recognized.
VanguardLH

Markus Peloquin wrote:

> The point is that 'application/javascript' is not recognized.

But that's not what you said in your original post. If you˙re coding
with a strict doctype, you definitely don˙t want to use any deprecated
attributes or elements.

http://hafnerdesigns.com/blog/2009/0...ionjavascript/

Where does W3C.org say text/javascript has been deprecated? I looked in
the HTML 5.0 spec at:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#scripting-1

and the mention the attribute and *without* noting it has been
deprecated. From what I recall, if you saw an element or attribute that
had been deprecated, there was a "[DEPRECATED]" link next to it. In
this HTML spec, no such deprecated link, but there is a link to RFC
2046. In fact, if I search the entire HTML 5.0 spec, there was no match
on "application/javascript".

So I went to http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt. I didn't find a
list of script content types there. What I did find is:

- Text media types are for ´textual information [for which] no special
software is required to get the full meaning of the textˇ
- Application media types are for ´information to be processed by an
application.ˇ

So, yeah, the obsolence makes sense since an interpreter is involved to
process that text. Seems like this wasn't a problem, however, until
around 2006 although RFC 2036 was ratified back in 1996.

I did find text/javascript[ver] and application/javascript mentioned at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4329.txt - but this is an informational
RFC, not a standards RFC. It mentions the text/javascript content type
is obsolete but gives no references to a standards RFC for verification.
So is the obsolescence only proposed or has it been ratified? Several
folks have cited RFC 4329 as registering those application types for
script languages but that is NOT what that RFC does. As an example,
http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feed...dbackID=338278
has someone again claiming RFC 4329 is a standard when it is NOT. Note
that RFC 4329 is "Category: Informational" whereas RFC 2046, for example
is "Category: Standards Track".

text/javascript was an unregistered content type and yet it was
documented in HTML 4.01 and was used by all web browsers. The newer
proposed application/javascript might be supported in web browsers other
than IE but then they don't handle text/javascript and text/ecmascript
any differently than application/javascript and application/ecmascript.
Gotta love them MIMEtype wars. Hell, at some point, they may even
unobsolete the obsoleted MIME types.

I guess when RFC 4329 is no longer an informational article and when
text/javascript is actually tagged as "[DEPRECATED]" in the HTML spec
(which will have to be after v5.0) then Microsoft might care. I doubt
anyone should be overriding the HTML spec with an informational RFC.
So, for now, use text/javascript until the HTML spec says it has been
deprecated (and until whenever the web browsers catch up).
Markus Peloquin

Re: Deprecate text/javascript
I partially concede my argument to deprecate text/javascript then, until
something formal is issued. I still want the new MIME type in IE8. I was
browsing the ECMAScript wiki, and found this by Pratap Lakshman, a Microsoft
Employee, who says 'we ought to follow RFC 4329':
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=es3.1:mime_type
xavier

Re: Deprecate text/javascript
Hi,

I think the two of us are rigth, I think the problem
is that the IANA reference text/javascript as obsolete, W3C not,
it's just a draft since 2005.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/

I thougth this standard's problems disappeared in the 90's

Anyway, editors like netbeans or eclipse do not support this mime type but
it's confusing for users.

For my part, I really thougth after going on IANA when site for something
else that I should change my javascript mime type.

Regards,