IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites

Ripsnort

IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. When opening up only certain sites, I
get this weird and wonderful sound, something like ... EEEERRRNNN ... it last
a split second. Sounds on the system (from Control Panel) doesn't give any
sounds like this. I've unchecked the sounds in the Popup Blocker, also
unchecked "sounds in the webpages" but of course that doesn't change anything.
I've cleared the cache - done several spyware checks, but this thing isn't
going away.
A couple sites that give this is the following ...

http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html

Also ... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...s/?days=Sunday

.... but cannot get the latter one to repeat it. The former seems to be more
consistent but not 100% of the time.

Anyone with an idea as to what might be causing this grief?
rob^_^

Re: IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
Hi Pipsnort,

Both sites use popups. Check the settings of any toolbars that you have
installed in IE and turn off their popup blockers... you don't need them as
IE8 and IE7 have their own built-in.

Regards.

"Ripsnort" <Ripsnort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. When opening up only certain sites,
> get this weird and wonderful sound, something like ... EEEERRRNNN ... it
> last
> a split second. Sounds on the system (from Control Panel) doesn't give any
> sounds like this. I've unchecked the sounds in the Popup Blocker, also
> unchecked "sounds in the webpages" but of course that doesn't change
> anything.
> I've cleared the cache - done several spyware checks, but this thing isn't
> going away.
> A couple sites that give this is the following ...
>
> http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html
>
> Also ...
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...s/?days=Sunday
>
> ... but cannot get the latter one to repeat it. The former seems to be
> more
> consistent but not 100% of the time.
>
> Anyone with an idea as to what might be causing this grief?

Ripsnort

Re: IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. You're deailng with somewhat of a novice here. You say
"check the settings in toolbars" ... actually, what am I to check for?
Obviously you've got something in mind, so can you clarify please. Thanks!

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Pipsnort,
>
> Both sites use popups. Check the settings of any toolbars that you have
> installed in IE and turn off their popup blockers... you don't need them as
> IE8 and IE7 have their own built-in.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Ripsnort" <Ripsnort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. When opening up only certain sites,
> > get this weird and wonderful sound, something like ... EEEERRRNNN ... it
> > last
> > a split second. Sounds on the system (from Control Panel) doesn't give any
> > sounds like this. I've unchecked the sounds in the Popup Blocker, also
> > unchecked "sounds in the webpages" but of course that doesn't change
> > anything.
> > I've cleared the cache - done several spyware checks, but this thing isn't
> > going away.
> > A couple sites that give this is the following ...
> >
> > http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html
> >
> > Also ...
> > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...s/?days=Sunday
> >
> > ... but cannot get the latter one to repeat it. The former seems to be
> > more
> > consistent but not 100% of the time.
> >
> > Anyone with an idea as to what might be causing this grief?

Ripsnort

Re: IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
Thanks for the reply

Since you are dealing with somewhat of a novice here, I would understand you
to mean by "toolbars" such as Google / Ask etc. Am I correct?

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
> > Hi Pipsnort,
> >
> > Both sites use popups. Check the settings of any toolbars that you have
> > installed in IE and turn off their popup blockers... you don't need them as
> > IE8 and IE7 have their own built-in.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > "Ripsnort" <Ripsnort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. When opening up only certain sites,
> > > get this weird and wonderful sound, something like ... EEEERRRNNN ... it
> > > last
> > > a split second. Sounds on the system (from Control Panel) doesn't give any
> > > sounds like this. I've unchecked the sounds in the Popup Blocker, also
> > > unchecked "sounds in the webpages" but of course that doesn't change
> > > anything.
> > > I've cleared the cache - done several spyware checks, but this thing isn't
> > > going away.
> > > A couple sites that give this is the following ...
> > >
> > > http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html
> > >
> > > Also ...
> > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...s/?days=Sunday
> > >
> > > ... but cannot get the latter one to repeat it. The former seems to be
> > > more
> > > consistent but not 100% of the time.
> > >
> > > Anyone with an idea as to what might be causing this grief?

rob^_^

Re: IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
Hi Ripsnort,

There is usually a button on a toolbar that looks like a spanner or
alternatively a button to the left of the Toolbar's search box. If you hover
your mouse over different parts of the toolbar you should see small tooltip
windows open up with a description of the purpose of the button or menu.

What you are after is the Settings or Options for the Toolbar. Find the
button or menu option on the toolbar and then click it to display the
Toolbars settings. It should have options for the other optional 'features'
of the toolbar including a popup blocker. Disable this feature by unchecking
it if it is already selected.

Do this for each of your toolbars that you have installed.

There is also http://www.popuptest.com where you can test your popup
blockers. Turn off the IE built-in popup blocker (Tools>Popup blocker) and
then go to this site. If IE is still blocking the test popups on this site
when you have disabled the IE popup blocker then you will know that there is
another popup blocker in one of your toolbars that is enabled.

> Rob,
>
> Thanks for the reply. You're deailng with somewhat of a novice here. You
> say
> "check the settings in toolbars" ... actually, what am I to check for?
> Obviously you've got something in mind, so can you clarify please. Thanks!
>

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Pipsnort,
>>
>> Both sites use popups. Check the settings of any toolbars that you have
>> installed in IE and turn off their popup blockers... you don't need them
>> as
>> IE8 and IE7 have their own built-in.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Ripsnort" <Ripsnort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. When opening up only certain
>> > sites,
>> > get this weird and wonderful sound, something like ... EEEERRRNNN ...
>> > it
>> > last
>> > a split second. Sounds on the system (from Control Panel) doesn't give
>> > any
>> > sounds like this. I've unchecked the sounds in the Popup Blocker, also
>> > unchecked "sounds in the webpages" but of course that doesn't change
>> > anything.
>> > I've cleared the cache - done several spyware checks, but this thing
>> > isn't
>> > going away.
>> > A couple sites that give this is the following ...
>> >
>> > http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html
>> >
>> > Also ...
>> > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...s/?days=Sunday
>> >
>> > ... but cannot get the latter one to repeat it. The former seems to be
>> > more
>> > consistent but not 100% of the time.
>> >
>> > Anyone with an idea as to what might be causing this grief?

Ripsnort

Re: IE8 makes weird noise opening up several sites
Rob, I think you might be onto something. I turned off the popup blocker here
on IE8 and went to the test site. I tried several of them and not one popup
came up.

The only thing I can see on this toolbar are three things that might stop
popups ... one being Google, of which I turned off the popup blocker. The
next one is "Ask" and I don't see anything there at all to turn off.

Thirdly, there is Norton 360 ... and I can't see anything in here to turn on
or turn off a popup blocker. I do see something checked off called Norton
Safe Web. Not sure if that's what I should uncheck or not, but I'll wait for
your further advice.

Appreciate the help.