Video problem after install of IE8

Richard S. Sims

Video problem after install of IE8
Hi, I have a Quad Core Asus Board, 3 Gigs with a Nvidia 9800GX2 and am
running XP Professional SP2 with IE 6.0, and everything works Peachy.

Facebook is starting to complain to me when I go there that I should update
my browser, and while I never found it necessary to upgrade to IE7, I thought
I would bite the bullet and do it. When I got to the IE7 page, I found that
IE8 was out, so being an IT professional decided it was a good idea to check
that out anyway, and so I downloaded it.

Afer installing the required IE7 update, the installation went smoothly and
IE8 looks pretty good, and I thought I was done, but when I was all done
getting it the way that I wanted, I noticed that my windows were "lagging"
when I moved them on my desktop, like if I had the generic VGA driver
installed on my system instead of the proper video driver. The problem only
happens when I drag something across the desktop, if I drag across another
window everything is fine. My wallpaper is an 8 meg .BMP file, and I've
noticed that If I choose a smaller bmp for the desktop file, the "lag" of
draggin windows gets much better / ok.

I have also noticed that since I installed IE8, XP no longer can change the
desktop wallpaper on the fly. When I go to change it, it selects the new one
ok and displays it ok in the "sample window", but it does not update the
desktop until I log out and log back in.

I was unable to find anything about the wallpaper issue on the web, and I've
seen other people complain about the slow desktop refresh issue, but none of
thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore back to
before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
completely. I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
still persist each time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?
rob^_^

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
Hi Richard,

Right click on your desktop and select the NIVIDA control panel. Check that
you have the correct screen type and refresh rates.

8 mb desktop background bmp. Open the bmp file with paint or another image
editor and then save it as a jpg and resized to fit your desktop.
Then point your desktop background to the new jpg file.

Also check and try beforehand that your desktop background settings are not
Stretching the existing bmp background. Assuming that an 8mb bitmap file
would probably equate to a screen size of 10 by 6 ft, you can see why
'stretching' it would cause the Desktop refresh to slow down a lot.

Regards.

"Richard S. Sims" <RichardSSims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Quad Core Asus Board, 3 Gigs with a Nvidia 9800GX2 and am
> running XP Professional SP2 with IE 6.0, and everything works Peachy.
>
> Facebook is starting to complain to me when I go there that I should
> update
> my browser, and while I never found it necessary to upgrade to IE7, I
> thought
> I would bite the bullet and do it. When I got to the IE7 page, I found
> that
> IE8 was out, so being an IT professional decided it was a good idea to
> check
> that out anyway, and so I downloaded it.
>
> Afer installing the required IE7 update, the installation went smoothly
> and
> IE8 looks pretty good, and I thought I was done, but when I was all done
> getting it the way that I wanted, I noticed that my windows were "lagging"
> when I moved them on my desktop, like if I had the generic VGA driver
> installed on my system instead of the proper video driver. The problem
> only
> happens when I drag something across the desktop, if I drag across another
> window everything is fine. My wallpaper is an 8 meg .BMP file, and I've
> noticed that If I choose a smaller bmp for the desktop file, the "lag" of
> draggin windows gets much better / ok.
>
> I have also noticed that since I installed IE8, XP no longer can change
> the
> desktop wallpaper on the fly. When I go to change it, it selects the new
> one
> ok and displays it ok in the "sample window", but it does not update the
> desktop until I log out and log back in.
>
> I was unable to find anything about the wallpaper issue on the web, and
> I've
> seen other people complain about the slow desktop refresh issue, but none
> of
> thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore back
> before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
> completely. I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
> still persist each time.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?

Richard S. Sims

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
Hi Rob, thanks for responding...

I have tried tweaking eveything I could in the Nvidia pages, I also forgot
to mention, but after the first try at fixing this problem when I first
installed IE8, I went and downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and did a
reinstall. I have a 3 monitor set up, 2 1280x1024 analog flat panels and a
1920x1200 digital (DVI) flat panel. The resolution on the BMP is 1920x1200
which matches my 1920x1200 center screen - bmps' don't compress, hence the
large file size. Since it's digital, the refresh rate is locked at 60hz.
The 2 1280x1024 monitors are attached to a secondary nvidia video card (you
can't have multiple monitors on a 9800 gx2 while you are in Multi-GPU mode),
and the problem exists on all 3 screens.

I know I could make the bmp file smaller and thus maybe somewhat fixing the
problem, but that would be like fixing a pain in my foot by cutting it off.
Everything on my system works perfectly fine with IE6 (and I also tried IE7
last night which also works fine) - I don't want to have to make performance
compromises just because I'm changing internet browsers.

-Rich...

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I have also noticed that since I installed IE8, XP no longer can change
> > the
> > desktop wallpaper on the fly. When I go to change it, it selects the new
> > one
> > ok and displays it ok in the "sample window", but it does not update the
> > desktop until I log out and log back in.
> >
> > I was unable to find anything about the wallpaper issue on the web, and
> > I've
> > seen other people complain about the slow desktop refresh issue, but none
> > of
> > thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore back
> > before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
> > completely. I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
> > still persist each time.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?

You mean making the files smaller and stretching it to fit, or stop it from
being streched? Right now, the bmp matches my main screen's native
resolution, so it's not doing any stretching. Obviously making it smaller
and streching it would probably fix the problem, or even turning it into a
jpg, but I can't do that because I use desktop manager (from the XP
powertoys) and it only supports bmp desktop files.

As far as the DPI settings, I believe they are all set to normal (96? - not
sure, never like to change that except on really small screens).

I've already reverted back to 6, I'm hoping something changes with 8 so that
I can skip over 7 and just stay with 8.

--
-Rich...

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> What about the stretching of your background bitmaps. It’s the only other
> thing that I can think of.
>
> Failing that either
>
> Uninstall IE8 and revert back to 7
> or
> Possibly lower your screen DPI settings to the default (on all three
> screens.) - Actually do all three screens have the same DPI settings. (I
> have a slightly less dual screen setup).
>
> Regards.
>
> "Richard S. Sims" <RichardSSims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rob, thanks for responding...
> >
> > I have tried tweaking eveything I could in the Nvidia pages, I also forgot
> > to mention, but after the first try at fixing this problem when I first
> > installed IE8, I went and downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and did a
> > reinstall. I have a 3 monitor set up, 2 1280x1024 analog flat panels and
> > 1920x1200 digital (DVI) flat panel. The resolution on the BMP is
> > 1920x1200
> > which matches my 1920x1200 center screen - bmps' don't compress, hence the
> > large file size. Since it's digital, the refresh rate is locked at 60hz.
> > The 2 1280x1024 monitors are attached to a secondary nvidia video card
> > (you
> > can't have multiple monitors on a 9800 gx2 while you are in Multi-GPU
> > mode),
> > and the problem exists on all 3 screens.
> >
> > I know I could make the bmp file smaller and thus maybe somewhat fixing
> > the
> > problem, but that would be like fixing a pain in my foot by cutting it
> > off.
> > Everything on my system works perfectly fine with IE6 (and I also tried
> > IE7
> > last night which also works fine) - I don't want to have to make
> > performance
> > compromises just because I'm changing internet browsers.
> >
> > -Rich...
> >
> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Richard,
> >>
> >> Right click on your desktop and select the NIVIDA control panel. Check
> >> that
> >> you have the correct screen type and refresh rates.
> >>
> >> 8 mb desktop background bmp. Open the bmp file with paint or another
> >> image
> >> editor and then save it as a jpg and resized to fit your desktop.
> >> Then point your desktop background to the new jpg file.
> >>
> >> Also check and try beforehand that your desktop background settings are
> >> not
> >> Stretching the existing bmp background. Assuming that an 8mb bitmap file
> >> would probably equate to a screen size of 10 by 6 ft, you can see why
> >> 'stretching' it would cause the Desktop refresh to slow down a lot.
> >>
> >> Regards.
> >>
> >> "Richard S. Sims" <RichardSSims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
As for your "changing your desktop wallpaper on the fly" problem, I have the
same one. It happens on both an XP Home and Pro, SP3.

I notice it only if I have Right-Click Desktop>Arrange Icons By>Show Desktop
Icons unchecked, though. If I check it, however, it works as expected.

This only showed up after installing IE8. I tried to explain it to MS phone
support. Hope they can do something about it.

Fred

"Richard S. Sims" <RichardSSims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Quad Core Asus Board, 3 Gigs with a Nvidia 9800GX2 and am
> running XP Professional SP2 with IE 6.0, and everything works Peachy.
>
> Facebook is starting to complain to me when I go there that I should
> update
> my browser, and while I never found it necessary to upgrade to IE7, I
> thought
> I would bite the bullet and do it. When I got to the IE7 page, I found
> that
> IE8 was out, so being an IT professional decided it was a good idea to
> check
> that out anyway, and so I downloaded it.
>
> Afer installing the required IE7 update, the installation went smoothly
> and
> IE8 looks pretty good, and I thought I was done, but when I was all done
> getting it the way that I wanted, I noticed that my windows were "lagging"
> when I moved them on my desktop, like if I had the generic VGA driver
> installed on my system instead of the proper video driver. The problem
> only
> happens when I drag something across the desktop, if I drag across another
> window everything is fine. My wallpaper is an 8 meg .BMP file, and I've
> noticed that If I choose a smaller bmp for the desktop file, the "lag" of
> draggin windows gets much better / ok.
>
> I have also noticed that since I installed IE8, XP no longer can change
> the
> desktop wallpaper on the fly. When I go to change it, it selects the new
> one
> ok and displays it ok in the "sample window", but it does not update the
> desktop until I log out and log back in.
>
> I was unable to find anything about the wallpaper issue on the web, and
> I've
> seen other people complain about the slow desktop refresh issue, but none
> of
> thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore back
> before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
> completely. I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
> still persist each time.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?

sales@fatladz.com

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
On Apr 2, 9:02*pm, "Frederick R. Hutchings" <frederi...@cox.net>
wrote:
> As for your "changing your desktopwallpaperon the fly" problem, I have the
> same one. *It happens on both an XP Home and Pro, SP3.
>
> I notice it only if I have Right-Click Desktop>Arrange Icons By>Show Desktop
> Icons unchecked, though. *If I check it, however, it works as expected.
>
> This only showed up after installingIE8. *I tried to explain it to MS phone
> support. *Hope they can do something about it.
>
> Fred
>
> "Richard S. Sims" <RichardSS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:87F80495-F23D-4CD4-BA86-C9B341B27D53@microsoft.com...
>

> > Hi, I have a Quad Core Asus Board, 3 Gigs with a Nvidia 9800GX2 and am
> > running XP Professional SP2 with IE 6.0, and everything works Peachy.

> > Facebook is starting to complain to me when I go there that I should
> > update
> > my browser, and while I never found it necessary to upgrade to IE7, I
> > thought
> > I would bite the bullet and do it. *When I got to the IE7 page, I found
> > that
> >IE8was out, so being an IT professional decided it was a good idea to
> > check
> > that out anyway, and so I downloaded it.

> > Afer installing the required IE7 update, the installation went smoothly
> > and
> >IE8looks pretty good, and I thought I was done, but when I was all done
> > getting it the way that I wanted, I noticed that my windows were "lagging"
> > when I moved them on my desktop, like if I had the generic VGA driver
> > installed on my system instead of the proper video driver. *The problem
> > only
> > happens when I drag something across the desktop, if I drag across another
> > window everything is fine. *Mywallpaperis an 8 meg .BMP file, and I've
> > noticed that If I choose a smaller bmp for the desktop file, the "lag" of
> > draggin windows gets much better / ok.

> > I have also noticed that since I installedIE8, XP no longer can change
> > the
> > desktopwallpaperon the fly. *When I go to change it, it selects the new
> > one
> > ok and displays it ok in the "sample window", but it does not update the
> > desktop until I log out and log back in.

> > I was unable to find anything about thewallpaperissue on the web, and
> > I've
> > seen other people complain about the slow desktop refresh issue, but none
> > of
> > thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore back
> > before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
> > completely. *I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
> > still persist each time.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?- Hide quoted text -

i believe ive found the fix

right click on desktop
then move to "arrange icons by" and then untick "lock web items on
desktop"
ive read this thread a few times as i was also trying to sort this
error
so i signed up just to share this
hope it helps
let us know if the fix worked for you guys
Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
Nope, didn't help. Lock Web Items on Desktop was already unticked. Thanks
anyway.

Fred

wrote:
> [...]

> > none
> > of
> > thier questions seemed to have any answers, so I did a system restore
> > back
> > before the upgrade, and all the issues that I've describe here went away
> > completely. I then tried the upgrade 2 more times, and the same problems
> > still persist each time.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?- Hide quoted text -

i believe ive found the fix

right click on desktop
then move to "arrange icons by" and then untick "lock web items on
desktop"
ive read this thread a few times as i was also trying to sort this
error
so i signed up just to share this
hope it helps
let us know if the fix worked for you guys

JeffreyCox

Re: Video problem after install of IE8
I saw the same thing (the slow refresh) after installing the ie8 RC. I
uninstalled that and all was good.

On a whim, I installed ie8, the released version, and yesterday all was
okay. But, today, I have the slow refresh problem again.

Exporer.exe spikes the CPU whenever you drag any windows anywhere and the
screen leaves trails everywhere while it tires to refresh.

I really love ie8 so I'm hoping there is a fix for this soon.