IE 8 and spyware

titus12

IE 8 and spyware
How does IE 8 hold up on its' own without having a anti-spyware program like
Spybot or SpywareBlaster? Will Windows Defender fill in the gap?

Thank you,
David

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 and spyware
I don't know what "hold up on its' own" means. Every computer user, no
matter what web browser they use, must have comprehensive anti-malware
software, that scans for all types of malware and runs in the background
at all times. And that's only the second line of defense.

The first line of defense is your commitment to safe computing.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

titus12 wrote:
> How does IE 8 hold up on its' own without having a anti-spyware program
> like Spybot or SpywareBlaster? Will Windows Defender fill in the gap?
>
> Thank you,
> David

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 and spyware
Hi Titus,

The Smart Screen Filter (when turned on) will tell you if you navigate to a
phishing or malware site if it is a known baddie and then give you
additional prompts before it will let you download from the site. Network
Administrators can stop users from even navigating to known baddies sites.

Smart Screen Filter is more up-to-date than any of the other site blocking
tools.

Regards.

"titus12" <titus12@msn.com> wrote in message
> How does IE 8 hold up on its' own without having a anti-spyware program
> like Spybot or SpywareBlaster? Will Windows Defender fill in the gap?
>
> Thank you,
> David

Saucy

Re: IE 8 and spyware
"titus12" <titus12@msn.com> wrote in message
> How does IE 8 hold up on its' own without having a anti-spyware program
> like Spybot or SpywareBlaster? Will Windows Defender fill in the gap?
>
> Thank you,
> David

It will hold it's own if you keep Windows patched and do not agree to the
installation of Active X controls and don't download junk. Otherwise, it
does protect itself from 'drive by' attacks so long as you don't lower the
security settings.

That said, a competent virus scanner installed on the system such as
Grisoft's AVG, or such as Avast! should be a must so you can scan anything
and everything of the few selected things you've downloaded (other than flat
JPEG wallpaper (because current version of Windows are safe from JPEG
exploits)).

These days, most of the malware / spyware etc. comes in from your agreeing
to let it be downloaded and run. It usually cannot get in on its own onto a
system that is kept patched.

One thing to note is that you should avoid 'hacker' websites and any of the
more nefarious sites. They will try to exploit your system. Also avoid those
torrent and share programs because the stuff you get from them is riddled
with malware. And don't believe any website that claims it has just scanned
your computer and found a virus. These websites that "scan" then offer their
virus scanners are really just offering malware. The scan they do is just a
JavaScript trick they do with graphics and what they know about Windows
systems and not a real scan.

Saucy