IE8 Trusted Sites - How to remove?

Joe727

IE8 Trusted Sites - How to remove?
Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I noticed
there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I have no idea how
they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.

Here's a screenshot:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg

Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites simply
re-appear.

The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard (MicroStar
International) websites, including the MSI forums.

Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?

Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from Trusted
Sites in IE8?

Thanks

Re: IE8 Trusted Sites - How to remove?
Are the sites still present and unremovable if you uninstall IE8?

Is it an MSI Notebook PC?

Do you have any MSI (Micro-Star Int'l) hardware installed (e.g.,
motherboard; BIOS; graphics)?

Joe727 wrote:
> Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I noticed
> there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I have no idea how
> they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.
>
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg
>
> Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites simply
> re-appear.
>
> The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard (MicroStar
> International) websites, including the MSI forums.
>
> Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?
>
> Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from Trusted
> Sites in IE8?
>
> Thanks

VanguardLH

Joe727 wrote:

> Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I noticed
> there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I have no idea how
> they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.
>
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg
>
> Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites simply
> re-appear.
>
> The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard (MicroStar
> International) websites, including the MSI forums.
>
> Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?
>
> Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from Trusted
> Sites in IE8?
>
> Thanks

You might need to edit the registry to remove those domains. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...742924b8cfdd32

This deletes sites from ALL security zone (Internet and Restricted
Sites).
Joe727

Re: IE8 Trusted Sites - How to remove?
It's a Desktop PC.

I have an MSI motherboard, and several MSI programs installed, one of which
will check for any updates if to the BIOS, etc. All of those programs have
to be run manually.

None of the sites in the screenshot were present in the Trusted Zone in IE6
or IE7.

Joe

> Are the sites still present and unremovable if you uninstall IE8?
>
> Is it an MSI Notebook PC?
>
> Do you have any MSI (Micro-Star Int'l) hardware installed (e.g.,
> motherboard; BIOS; graphics)?
>

> Joe727 wrote:
>> Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I noticed
>> there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I have no idea how
>> they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.
>>
>> Here's a screenshot:
>>
>> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg
>>
>> Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites simply
>> re-appear.
>>
>> The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard (MicroStar
>> International) websites, including the MSI forums.
>>
>> Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?
>>
>> Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from Trusted
>> Sites in IE8?
>>
>> Thanks

Joe727

> Joe727 wrote:
>
>> Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I noticed
>> there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I have no idea how
>> they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.
>>
>> Here's a screenshot:
>>
>> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg
>>
>> Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites simply
>> re-appear.
>>
>> The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard (MicroStar
>> International) websites, including the MSI forums.
>>
>> Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?
>>
>> Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from Trusted
>> Sites in IE8?
>>
>> Thanks

> You might need to edit the registry to remove those domains. See:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...742924b8cfdd32
>
> This deletes sites from ALL security zone (Internet and Restricted
> Sites).

Thanks for the link. I looked through the Zone Map sub-keys, but did not
find the three domains in the Trusted Zone. Before posting here, I did a
"Find" search of the registry, but that search did not find the three
domains in the screenshot.

There are plenty of other Zone Map sub-keys, since I use SpyBot Search and
Destroy which automatically installs and updates the Hosts file for the
Restricted Zone in the registry.

VanguardLH

Joe727 wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Joe727 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi - I just installed Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro SP3 PC. I
>>> noticed there are three entries in the Trusted Sites section. I
>>> have no idea how they got there, and I cannot get rid of them.
>>>
>>> Here's a screenshot: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink/IE8.jpg
>>> Even if I Uncheck the https box, and click remove, the 3 sites
>>> simply re-appear.
>>>
>>> The sites are *not* malicious. They are the MSI motherboard
>>> (MicroStar International) websites, including the MSI forums.
>>>
>>> Question 1 - Where are the Trusted Sites stored in XP?
>>> Question 2 - How can I permanently remove these 3 websites from
>>> Trusted Sites in IE8?

>> You might need to edit the registry to remove those domains. See:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...742924b8cfdd32
>> This deletes sites from ALL security zone (Internet and Restricted
>> Sites).

> Thanks for the link. I looked through the Zone Map sub-keys, but did not
> find the three domains in the Trusted Zone. Before posting here, I did a
> "Find" search of the registry, but that search did not find the three
> domains in the screenshot.

Try starting IE8 in its no add-ons mode? Maybe one of those utilities
installed an add-on or updates the list dynamically to allow unfettered
access to their sites. Did you go through all the processes shown in
Task Manager's Processes list to ensure that one of those utilities
isn't running? Tried resetting IE8 yet (Internet Options -> Advanced
tab -> Reset).

By the way, the registry key mentioning in my linked article only
addresses the Domains key under the HKCU hive. Did you check for a
matching Domains key under the HKLM hive?

> There are plenty of other Zone Map sub-keys, since I use SpyBot Search and
> Destroy which automatically installs and updates the Hosts file for the
> Restricted Zone in the registry.

And therein lies the slowdown problem with IE8. When thousands of
entries are in the Restricted Sites security zone, IE8 will slow. This
is a known problem and mentioned in several posts here about IE8 being
slow. The solution is to delete the entries under the Restricted Sites
security zone until Microsoft gets around to issuing a patch that
addresses this problem.
Joe727

> Joe727 wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> You might need to edit the registry to remove those domains. See:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...742924b8cfdd32
>>> This deletes sites from ALL security zone (Internet and Restricted
>>> Sites).

>> Thanks for the link. I looked through the Zone Map sub-keys, but did not
>> find the three domains in the Trusted Zone. Before posting here, I did a
>> "Find" search of the registry, but that search did not find the three
>> domains in the screenshot.

> Try starting IE8 in its no add-ons mode? Maybe one of those utilities
> installed an add-on or updates the list dynamically to allow unfettered
> access to their sites. Did you go through all the processes shown in
> Task Manager's Processes list to ensure that one of those utilities
> isn't running? Tried resetting IE8 yet (Internet Options -> Advanced
> tab -> Reset).
>
> By the way, the registry key mentioning in my linked article only
> addresses the Domains key under the HKCU hive. Did you check for a
> matching Domains key under the HKLM hive?
>
>> There are plenty of other Zone Map sub-keys, since I use SpyBot Search
>> and
>> Destroy which automatically installs and updates the Hosts file for the
>> Restricted Zone in the registry.

> And therein lies the slowdown problem with IE8. When thousands of
> entries are in the Restricted Sites security zone, IE8 will slow. This
> is a known problem and mentioned in several posts here about IE8 being
> slow. The solution is to delete the entries under the Restricted Sites
> security zone until Microsoft gets around to issuing a patch that
> addresses this problem.

I am not complaining about the slowness of IE8, and yes it is slow. I am
trying to delete the entries in the Trusted Zone that magically appeared
there when I upgraded from IE7.

Joe

VanguardLH

Joe727 wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Joe727 wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Thanks for the link. I looked through the Zone Map sub-keys, but did not
>>> find the three domains in the Trusted Zone. Before posting here, I did a
>>> "Find" search of the registry, but that search did not find the three
>>> domains in the screenshot.

>> Try starting IE8 in its no add-ons mode? Maybe one of those utilities
>> installed an add-on or updates the list dynamically to allow unfettered
>> access to their sites. Did you go through all the processes shown in
>> Task Manager's Processes list to ensure that one of those utilities
>> isn't running? Tried resetting IE8 yet (Internet Options -> Advanced
>> tab -> Reset).
>>
>> By the way, the registry key mentioning in my linked article only
>> addresses the Domains key under the HKCU hive. Did you check for a
>> matching Domains key under the HKLM hive?
>>
>>> There are plenty of other Zone Map sub-keys, since I use SpyBot Search
>>> and
>>> Destroy which automatically installs and updates the Hosts file for the
>>> Restricted Zone in the registry.

>> And therein lies the slowdown problem with IE8. When thousands of
>> entries are in the Restricted Sites security zone, IE8 will slow. This
>> is a known problem and mentioned in several posts here about IE8 being
>> slow. The solution is to delete the entries under the Restricted Sites
>> security zone until Microsoft gets around to issuing a patch that
>> addresses this problem.

> I am not complaining about the slowness of IE8, and yes it is slow. I am
> trying to delete the entries in the Trusted Zone that magically appeared
> there when I upgraded from IE7.
>
> Joe

If using the no add-ons mode doesn't work, see if those items still
appear when you reboot into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking)?

Frankly, I can't see how any entries would be listed if the Domain keys
are deleted from the registry, plus you said you searched for those
strings in the registry and they weren't there, and no add-ons were
used.
Joe727

> Joe727 wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> Try starting IE8 in its no add-ons mode? Maybe one of those utilities
>>> installed an add-on or updates the list dynamically to allow unfettered
>>> access to their sites. Did you go through all the processes shown in
>>> Task Manager's Processes list to ensure that one of those utilities
>>> isn't running? Tried resetting IE8 yet (Internet Options -> Advanced
>>> tab -> Reset).
>>>
>>> By the way, the registry key mentioning in my linked article only
>>> addresses the Domains key under the HKCU hive. Did you check for a
>>> matching Domains key under the HKLM hive?

>>> And therein lies the slowdown problem with IE8. When thousands of
>>> entries are in the Restricted Sites security zone, IE8 will slow. This
>>> is a known problem and mentioned in several posts here about IE8 being
>>> slow. The solution is to delete the entries under the Restricted Sites
>>> security zone until Microsoft gets around to issuing a patch that
>>> addresses this problem.

>> I am not complaining about the slowness of IE8, and yes it is slow. I
>> am
>> trying to delete the entries in the Trusted Zone that magically appeared
>> there when I upgraded from IE7.
>>
>> Joe

> If using the no add-ons mode doesn't work, see if those items still
> appear when you reboot into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking)?
>
> Frankly, I can't see how any entries would be listed if the Domain keys
> are deleted from the registry, plus you said you searched for those
> strings in the registry and they weren't there, and no add-ons were
> used.

Did exactly as you suggested. Those three domains were quite persistent.
Hijack This got rid of them, but unfortunately, Hijack This did not report
the exact registry keys it deleted.

So far, so good.

Thanks for your assistance.

Joe

VanguardLH

Joe727 wrote:

> Did exactly as you suggested. Those three domains were quite persistent.
> Hijack This got rid of them, but unfortunately, Hijack This did not report
> the exact registry keys it deleted.

I noticed that the .inf file from MVPS used to get rid of the sites
listed in the security zones deletes (and recreates) more than just the
ZoneMap/Domains key.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf

If you get hit with again, try using that .inf file (download it, right-
click and Install) to see if that gets rid of those ghost entries.