Cant install IE8 on Vista

Hugh Jeego

Cant install IE8 on Vista
I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It errors
saying "This installation does not support your system architecture (32/64
bit)".

HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install and get
that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same message.

Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
You only need 64-bit version:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c

Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...

Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
2008:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49

=========

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Hugh Jeego wrote:
> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
> downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It
> errors
> saying "This installation does not support your system architecture (32/64
> bit)".
>
> HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install and
> get
> that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same
> message.
>
> Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

Pied

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
I thought this was the site for Windows XP questions about IE8. Shouldn't
you advise him of the location of the Vista site?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You only need 64-bit version:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>
> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>
> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
> 2008:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>
> =========
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Hugh Jeego wrote:
> > I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
> > downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It
> > errors
> > saying "This installation does not support your system architecture (32/64
> > bit)".
> >
> > HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install and
> > get
> > that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same
> > message.
> >
> > Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

Jim

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista

"Pied" <Pied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I thought this was the site for Windows XP questions about IE8. Shouldn't
> you advise him of the location of the Vista site?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You only need 64-bit version:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>>
>> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>>
>> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
>> 2008:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>>
>> =========
>>
>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Hugh Jeego wrote:
>> > I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
>> > downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It
>> > errors
>> > saying "This installation does not support your system architecture
>> > (32/64
>> > bit)".
>> >
>> > HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install
>> > and
>> > get
>> > that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same
>> > message.
>> >
>> > Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

The name of this newsgroup is microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general.
You will note that no operating system is mentioned. Hence all OS specific
questions are valid.

If, by chance, you are not using a newsreader, such as OE, to read these
messages, you shouldn't.

Jim

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
While you may be accessing this newsgroup via WinXP Expert Zone Community
Newsgroups, it's also accessible via the same Vista webpage.

Nevertheless, this is an IE-specific newsgroup for any version of IE and
Windows (and most of us access it via a newsreader:

Pied wrote:
> I thought this was the site for Windows XP questions about IE8. Shouldn't
> you advise him of the location of the Vista site?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You only need 64-bit version:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>>
>> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>>
>> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
>> 2008:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>>
>> =========
>>
>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Hugh Jeego wrote:
>>> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
>>> downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It
>>> errors
>>> saying "This installation does not support your system architecture
>>> (32/64
>>> bit)".
>>>
>>> HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install and
>>> get
>>> that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same
>>> message.
>>>
>>> Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

Hugh Jeego

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
Thanks for the reply but you don't actually answer the question and you gave
wrong advice:

1) I should be able to install both 64 bit and 32 bit. I cant. You didn't
answer why nor suggest anything that works. Do you have any info I can use,
please?

2) You DON'T only need 64 bit. As you may be aware, many things don't work
with 64 bit IE and I currently have both 64 bit and 32 bit IE7 installed. It
is a HP laptop and it came installed that way when I bought it. So yes, I
need to install both but cannot install either.

As to location, Australia as you can tell by the headers in my messages
here. So I don't need language packs at all.

Does ANYONE have any idea what is going on here? I am apparently not the
only one with this problem but I cannot find an answer.

> You only need 64-bit version:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>
> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>
> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
> 2008:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>
> =========
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Hugh Jeego wrote:
>> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 with IE7 currently installed. I
>> downloaded the IE8 final 64 and 32 bit and neither will install. It
>> errors
>> saying "This installation does not support your system architecture
>> (32/64
>> bit)".
>>
>> HUH? I have a 64 bit computer and download 64 bit and try to install and
>> get
>> that message so download 32 bit and try to install and get the same
>> message.
>>
>> Anyone know why this would happen, please? Thanks.

Hugh Jeego

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
It would have helped seeing I put that in the subject line, yes.

"Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Pied" <Pied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I thought this was the site for Windows XP questions about IE8. Shouldn't
>> you advise him of the location of the Vista site?
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> You only need 64-bit version:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>>>
>>> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>>>
>>> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
>>> 2008:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>>>
>>> =========
>>>
>>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>>
>>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>>> December
>>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>>> non-domain
>>> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> The name of this newsgroup is microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general.
> You will note that no operating system is mentioned. Hence all OS
> specific questions are valid.

Wrong Jim. While this newsgroup doesn't say IE8 I did a search for an IE8
specific group and couldn't find any on this server. So, I SPECIFICALLY
mentioned VISTA in the subject line.

Hugh Jeego

Re: Cant install IE8 on Vista
Nothing to do with what I asked, though. I did SPECIFICALLY put IE8 in the
subject and so far I still don't have an answer anywhere.

> While you may be accessing this newsgroup via WinXP Expert Zone Community
> Newsgroups, it's also accessible via the same Vista webpage.
>
> Nevertheless, this is an IE-specific newsgroup for any version of IE and
> Windows (and most of us access it via a newsreader:
>

> Pied wrote:
>> I thought this was the site for Windows XP questions about IE8.
>> Shouldn't
>> you advise him of the location of the Vista site?
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> You only need 64-bit version:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-bc37bd6ab70c
>>>
>>> Depending on your locale & download, you may also need...
>>>
>>> Internet Explorer 8 Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows Server
>>> 2008:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-bb9a3c68cc49
>>>
>>> =========
>>>
>>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>>
>>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>>> December
>>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>>> non-domain
>>> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net