IE8 Beta Accelerators: turning off for site, not in browser

Nick

IE8 Beta Accelerators: turning off for site, not in browser
How can I, a website developer, disable Accelerators and Activities
from functioning for my websites?

The subtlety of their user interface design means most users will
likely think they're my content, and I can't see what they say. Shared
terminals, including institutional and public terminals, may not
permit their being turned off at a browser. Therefore, I want to
prevent their preview or execution on my websites or those I develop.
I already use a method to prevent SmartTag parsing, a method you used
to publish.

Have you published a sitewide or per-page means by which Accelerators
and Activities do not occur for a given website or website page?

I didn't find anything at microsoft.com and I've been asking around
but, so far, solutions are still being sought by developers.

Thank you.

--
Nick
rob^_^

Re: IE8 Beta Accelerators: turning off for site, not in browser

will also disable context menus.

"Nick" <Nick_Levinson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I, a website developer, disable Accelerators and Activities
> from functioning for my websites?
>
> The subtlety of their user interface design means most users will
> likely think they're my content, and I can't see what they say. Shared
> terminals, including institutional and public terminals, may not
> permit their being turned off at a browser. Therefore, I want to
> prevent their preview or execution on my websites or those I develop.
> I already use a method to prevent SmartTag parsing, a method you used
> to publish.
>
> Have you published a sitewide or per-page means by which Accelerators
> and Activities do not occur for a given website or website page?
>
> I didn't find anything at microsoft.com and I've been asking around
> but, so far, solutions are still being sought by developers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Nick

Nick

Re: IE8 Beta Accelerators: turning off for site, not in browser
Looks good on first impression, except I assume we should omit the
colon. Also, we need to know what else is on a context menu besides
Accelerators and that is not on a menubar menu, because then
oncontextmenu might be overkill. It depends.

For anyone wanting more info, see, e.g., <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/ms536914(VS.85).aspx>, <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-
html5-20080610/semantics.html>, <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html>,
all as accessed 3-31-09.