IE and Standards Compliance

Jake

IE and Standards Compliance
Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
building IE? It is as hard to comprehend as a car company putting the wheel
behind the drivers seat. I feel that I could cope a little better if I knew
what the reason behind is was.
Gregg Fowler

Re: IE and Standards Compliance

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
> building IE? It is as hard to comprehend as a car company putting the
> wheel
> behind the drivers seat. I feel that I could cope a little better if I
> knew
> what the reason behind is was.

Why don't you try and be a little specific? Bet you can't can you?

Jim

Re: IE and Standards Compliance

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
> building IE? It is as hard to comprehend as a car company putting the
> wheel
> behind the drivers seat. I feel that I could cope a little better if I
> knew
> what the reason behind is was.

Only a very very few of the responders in this newsgroup have any connection
with MS. Therefore, none of us are guilty of the heinous crime of ignoring
web standards when building IE.
Jim

Paul Smith

Re: IE and Standards Compliance

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
> building IE?

Errr which standards?

CSS? Passes more of the W3C's tests for 2.1 than any other browser. The
only main things not supported are standards which aren't out of draft yet,
not surprisingly.

Your point applies 5 years ago, it doesn't make sense today.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

C A Upsdell

Jake wrote:
> Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
> building IE? It is as hard to comprehend as a car company putting the wheel
> behind the drivers seat. I feel that I could cope a little better if I knew
> what the reason behind is was.

Actually, historically IE was the most standards compliant browser
beginning with IE4, and it continued to be the most compliant browser
until some time after the release of IE6. Other browsers became more
compliant only because Microsoft had a foolish policy of producing major
new releases of IE only with new releases of Windows: there was a long
gap between the release of Windows XP (when IE6 appeared) and the
release of Windows Vista (when IE7 appeared), and during this long gap
other browsers caught up to IE, and surpassed it.

Also, Microsoft did not commit to making IE fully standards compliant in
time to produce a fully compliant version of IE for Vista: this meant
that IE7 could not be fully standards compliant; IE8 appears to be very
close.
Saucy

Re: IE and Standards Compliance
"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you please explain why you consistently ignore web standards when
> building IE? It is as hard to comprehend as a car company putting the
> wheel
> behind the drivers seat. I feel that I could cope a little better if I
> knew
> what the reason behind is was.

Even IE3 could do rudimentary CSS when no other browsers even attempted. As
it is now, IE8 is near standards complaint in both HTML and CSS. Sure, some
ivory tower types can find little glitches on rounded corners or some
obscure font rendering, but otherwise IE8 is fully complaint.

IMHO, the W3C has near innumerable standards including and beyond HTML and
CSS .. and all these are changing ones at that .. moving targets .. they'd
be better called 'specifications' than standards. When I think of a
standard, I think of things like the gauge of a railroad track, same 50 yrs
ago as today and will remain so for another 50 years in all likelihood. Or I
think of a standard light bulb socket. A new eco low watt bulb fits into the
socket of a 50 year old lamp and works fine.

Anyway, as per the ever-updating web "standards" and per IE8, here are some
quotes:

"An Internet Explorer that offers near-full support for CSS2 opens up vast
possibilities. Until now, designers who build sites for mainstream users had
to steer clear of CSS2 features that could make page layout stable,
predictable, and a whole lot easier, just because Internet Explorer didn't
support them. IE8 is a complete game-changer." - Authors and CSS gurus Kevin
Yank & Rachel Andrew

"Luckily, IE8 will finally give us what we've wanted and maybe we'll see
some ingenious designs made possible that would not have been possible
before." - Web Designer Jonathan Snook

"We do like the lower memory and CPU overheads though -- IE 8 was less
resource-intensive than Firefox in our tests, so new computer users or those
with less capable machines may be perfect candidates for IE 8." - Nate
Lanxon of CNET UK

'Have a nice day,
Saucy