Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8

Peter Afonin

Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
Hello,

I've installed IE8, but rarely use it because the Inline Autocomplete
feature has been disabled in this version, and I use this feature all the
time.

I'm just curious - why? It must be a serious reason for this, since this
feature even is not available as an option anymore . Plus, Microsoft
positions this change as "Address bar improvement".

Shift + Enter is definitely not a replacement for Inline Autocomplete.

I've searched the Google and found that many people are asking this
question, but getting no answers.

Thank you.

VanguardLH

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
Peter Afonin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed IE8, but rarely use it because the Inline Autocomplete
> feature has been disabled in this version, and I use this feature all the
> time.
>
> I'm just curious - why? It must be a serious reason for this, since this
> feature even is not available as an option anymore . Plus, Microsoft
> positions this change as "Address bar improvement".
>
> Shift + Enter is definitely not a replacement for Inline Autocomplete.
>
> I've searched the Google and found that many people are asking this
> question, but getting no answers.
>
> Thank you.

The answer is the feature is gone. Just because users don't like the
answer doesn't mean there isn't one.

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...ess+bar%22&p=1
(first 3 results, primarily)

Peter Afonin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed IE8, but rarely use it because the Inline Autocomplete
> feature has been disabled in this version, and I use this feature all the
> time.
>
> I'm just curious - why? It must be a serious reason for this, since this
> feature even is not available as an option anymore . Plus, Microsoft
> positions this change as "Address bar improvement".
>
> Shift + Enter is definitely not a replacement for Inline Autocomplete.
>
> I've searched the Google and found that many people are asking this
> question, but getting no answers.
>
> Thank you.

Peter Afonin

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
????

This wasn't a question. The question was - why it's gone?

The only answer I've found:

In IE8 Autocomplete Suggestion is essentially the same thing (only now you
use SHIFT+ENTER instead of just ENTER).

First - it's not the same, second - why not leave Inline Autocomplete as an
option?

Peter Afonin wrote:

> ????
>
> This wasn't a question. The question was - why it's gone?
>
> The only answer I've found:
>
> In IE8 Autocomplete Suggestion is essentially the same thing (only now you
> use SHIFT+ENTER instead of just ENTER).
>
> First - it's not the same, second - why not leave Inline Autocomplete as an
> option?

You only find users in the newsgroup. It's not a direct line to the IE
Development department. Answering "Why?" would be just guesswork by us
users.

If you want the feature returned, you could ask the entity that has
actual control over the product: Microsoft.

"Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st
December 2009."
(shorter URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ceo4jd)

When you go through the prompts, pick Windows XP or Vista. Later you
get to pick Internet Explorer. You should get a no-charge call and case
number and then transferred to a 1st-line tech rep to discuss the issue.
Be persistent and polite. If you are calling for a request for
enhancement (RFE) or request for change (RFC) to the product, make sure
you fortify that reason for calling so they understand you are not
asking for technical support. For an RFE/RFC, they don't even bother to
ask for your Windows product ID. For an RFE/RFC, don't demand that this
be fixed now but are asking the change be present in a future patch,
update, or next minor version.

You could also try submitting feedback using the web form available for
IE8 Beta. Since IE8 is now released, Microsoft may no longer be
reviewing this feedback.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback
Peter Afonin

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
OK, thanks.

> Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> ????
>>
>> This wasn't a question. The question was - why it's gone?
>>
>> The only answer I've found:
>>
>> In IE8 Autocomplete Suggestion is essentially the same thing (only now
>> you
>> use SHIFT+ENTER instead of just ENTER).
>>
>> First - it's not the same, second - why not leave Inline Autocomplete as
>> an
>> option?

> You only find users in the newsgroup. It's not a direct line to the IE
> Development department. Answering "Why?" would be just guesswork by us
> users.
>
> If you want the feature returned, you could ask the entity that has
> actual control over the product: Microsoft.
>
> "Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st
> December 2009."
> (shorter URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ceo4jd)
>
> When you go through the prompts, pick Windows XP or Vista. Later you
> get to pick Internet Explorer. You should get a no-charge call and case
> number and then transferred to a 1st-line tech rep to discuss the issue.
> Be persistent and polite. If you are calling for a request for
> enhancement (RFE) or request for change (RFC) to the product, make sure
> you fortify that reason for calling so they understand you are not
> asking for technical support. For an RFE/RFC, they don't even bother to
> ask for your Windows product ID. For an RFE/RFC, don't demand that this
> be fixed now but are asking the change be present in a future patch,
> update, or next minor version.
>
> You could also try submitting feedback using the web form available for
> IE8 Beta. Since IE8 is now released, Microsoft may no longer be
> reviewing this feedback.
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback

kevin

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
BRING BACK INLINE AUTOCOMPLETE IN IE8

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...ess+bar%22&p=1
> (first 3 results, primarily)
>
> Peter Afonin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've installed IE8, but rarely use it because the Inline Autocomplete
> > feature has been disabled in this version, and I use this feature all the
> > time.
> >
> > I'm just curious - why? It must be a serious reason for this, since this
> > feature even is not available as an option anymore . Plus, Microsoft
> > positions this change as "Address bar improvement".
> >
> > Shift + Enter is definitely not a replacement for Inline Autocomplete.
> >
> > I've searched the Google and found that many people are asking this
> > question, but getting no answers.
> >
> > Thank you.

Christian R

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8
I agree. Mickeysoft needs to change IE8 to have the autocomplete
functionality exactly as it was in IE7 rather than the convoluted way it
currently works in IE8.

Does Mickeysoft not have focus groups to get input on new products??

Everyone that upgraded to IE8 *HATES* the autocomplete changes.

Myself, I installed IE8, gave it a chance for a few days, but not having the
same autocomplete function as IE7 turned out to be VERY annoying, so I
uninstalled IE8 and started using Google Chrome more.

Why does Mickeysoft hire morons? First the stupid "ribbon" idead in Office
2007 (couldn't you at least have had a "classic" mode to have the original
Office menus instead of the ribbon crap??) and now this? Guess I might need
to break down and start learning Linux if MS doesn't consider user inputs in
their products.

"kevin" wrote:

> BRING BACK INLINE AUTOCOMPLETE IN IE8
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/search.aspx...ess+bar%22&p=1
> > (first 3 results, primarily)
> >
> > Peter Afonin wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've installed IE8, but rarely use it because the Inline Autocomplete
> > > feature has been disabled in this version, and I use this feature all the
> > > time.
> > >
> > > I'm just curious - why? It must be a serious reason for this, since this
> > > feature even is not available as an option anymore . Plus, Microsoft
> > > positions this change as "Address bar improvement".
> > >
> > > Shift + Enter is definitely not a replacement for Inline Autocomplete.
> > >
> > > I've searched the Google and found that many people are asking this
> > > question, but getting no answers.
> > >
> > > Thank you.

Thomas Jensen

Re: Inline Autocomplete disabled in IE8