How do I disable the dowloading abilities for a user account?

Henry88th

How do I disable the dowloading abilities for a user account?
Hello friends,

I just created a limited user account under XP, IE7, but I would like to
disable the downloading abilities for this new account. That is to say, the
user would be able to see web pages but is unable to download anything
(music, pictures, videos, chat rooms, etc...). Able to view things but no
downloading at all.

Any suggestions as to how to do this please?

Thanks for your help.
Don Varnau

Re: How do I disable the dowloading abilities for a user account?
Hi,
Windows SteadyState
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Henry88th" <Henry88th@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello friends,
>
> I just created a limited user account under XP, IE7, but I would like to
> disable the downloading abilities for this new account. That is to say,

the
> user would be able to see web pages but is unable to download anything
> (music, pictures, videos, chat rooms, etc...). Able to view things but no
> downloading at all.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to do this please?
>
> Thanks for your help.

VanguardLH

Henry88th wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> I just created a limited user account under XP, IE7, but I would like to
> disable the downloading abilities for this new account. That is to say, the
> user would be able to see web pages but is unable to download anything
> (music, pictures, videos, chat rooms, etc...). Able to view things but no
> downloading at all.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to do this please?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Um, just how is the user going to download the files to render a web
page without downloading the files needed to render the web page?
Content in the web page may include music or video. How would a web
browser know that it should not download a .wav file that was
"downloaded" via a dialog versus a .wav file included in the web page?
They're both just a file.

No downloading at all means no downloading the web page. I'm guessing a
lot of chat rooms use Javascript. So are you going to disable scripting
in IE (any version) which will also disable every other site that uses
it?

You need to disable the source of the content that you don't want to
show within web pages or make available through web pages. Hosts files,
ad-blocking software, censorware, DNS-side site blocking (like using
OpenDNS), and so forth are content blocking solutions upstream of the
web browser.