IE8 search boxes not working

Steve Breibart

IE8 search boxes not working
My machine runs XP SP3 and I have tried several times to install IE8, most
recently in safe mode (to avoid any possible conflicts with other software).
On each occasion I have found that none of the search boxes will work - I can
type stuff in but nothing happens when I press <cr>.

In addition, at boot time, various other applications fail to start - with a
variety of error messages. These include some microsoft software.

If I uninstall IE8 the system reverts to IE7 and works perfectly again.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,
--
Steve Breibart
Director
You Know Who ~

Re: IE8 search boxes not working
while I generally like microsoft products, I have found it prudent never to
install a "first edition". There are simply too many chances for bugs.
instlaling then the first service pack is available generally gets you a
very good product.
\b\

"Steve Breibart" <SteveBreibart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My machine runs XP SP3 and I have tried several times to install IE8, most
> recently in safe mode (to avoid any possible conflicts with other
> software).
> On each occasion I have found that none of the search boxes will work - I
> can
> type stuff in but nothing happens when I press <cr>.
>
> In addition, at boot time, various other applications fail to start - with
> variety of error messages. These include some microsoft software.
>
> If I uninstall IE8 the system reverts to IE7 and works perfectly again.
>
> Any ideas welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Steve Breibart
> Director
> TSO Communication

rob^_^

Re: IE8 search boxes not working
Hi Steve,

More information please.

Search Box(es)? - There is only one built-in search box in IE. All the
rest(?) belong to third-party toolbars that you have installed.

Please quote any error messages that you receive in verbatim.

Check (toolbar.google.com, toolbar.live.com, toolbar.yahoo.com) your toolbar
vendors for updates to their software for IE8.

Switch off any firewall or site blocking software (HOSTs file) blocking that
may be blocking google.com, live.com etc.... the domain of your search
provider.... Actually there is an old hijack whereby the google domain is
placed in the HOSTs file by a third-party toolbar installer (details escape
me).

Was your firewall running when you installed IE8?

Regards.