Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll

Gary

Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
I'm unable to open Internet Explorer. Every time I try I get the error an
error 410. Unable to find ordinal in urlmon.dll

This is IE 8. I've tried to reinstall it and no luck. It says that urlmon
is in use. Any ideas.

After this problem started I install Firefox and it works.

HELP!!!!!
Chris

RE: Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
Got the same error on XP SP3 after upgrade to IE8, tried several times even
after removal of IE7 first. Then again removed IE8, reinstalled IE7 and
everything works again. No solution found sofar. It seems the upgrade is not
able to upgrade the urlmon.dll in c:\windows\system32, I tried to do it
manually but the dll is placed back before you copy a new one, you can
overwrite it but it seems the installer is not able to upgrade properly.
Will wait and try a newer IE8 in a couple of months.
Rgds
Boidd

Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
urlmon
Thanks for the info; I've had nothing but problems in accessing a variety of
websites ever since downloading Ineternet Explore 8, and have repeatedly
encountered the same error message you did. Thanks to your explanation of the
error, I won't waste any more time trying to find a fix for it; I'll just do
what you suggested... return to IE 7 and hope that somewhere down the road
Microsoft gets the bugs out. I certainly hope that they have more luck in
resolving IE8 issues like ours than they've had in getting Silverlight 2 to
work as well on Netflix Instant Watch as their previous (and far superior)
Windows Media-based player did.

Re: Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
And you would be replying to...?

Boidd wrote:
> urlmon
> Thanks for the info; I've had nothing but problems in accessing a variety
> of
> websites ever since downloading Ineternet Explore 8, and have repeatedly
> encountered the same error message you did. Thanks to your explanation of
> the error, I won't waste any more time trying to find a fix for it; I'll
> just do what you suggested... return to IE 7 and hope that somewhere down
> the road Microsoft gets the bugs out. I certainly hope that they have more
> luck in resolving IE8 issues like ours than they've had in getting
> Silverlight 2 to work as well on Netflix Instant Watch as their previous
> (and far superior) Windows Media-based player did.

Boidd

Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
Sorry, PA Bear, I was responding to the previous post by Chris (about
problems upgrading to IE 8).

Re: Ordinal Error 401 in urlmon.dll
Thanks. (It's customery to quote the entire post to which you're replying
here.) The fact that neither of your posts' subjects was prepended by "Re:"
tells us that the newsserver for the web-based interface for MS newsgroups
is still screwed up.

Actually, this thread was started by Gary on 27 Mar-09:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

Such problems are usually caused by security-related applications running in
the background when IE8 is installed and/or uninstalled. Also by attempting
to fix problems caused by a horked install by using System Restore instead
of uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs (WinXP) or Installed Programs
(Vista).

If you need assistance, feel free to begin a new thread about your specific
problem.