Possible to open tab in new window?

SDreamer

Possible to open tab in new window?
Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to display
information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a hassel
to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
logging in sometimes.

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
Huh?

Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SDreamer wrote:
> Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to
> display
> information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a
> hassel
> to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
> logging in sometimes.

Don Varnau

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
Hi,
Not sure I understand, but do any of these steps give the result you're
after?
1. File> New Window or Ctrl + n
2. Right-click> open in a new window or Shift + click

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"SDreamer" <saelientdreams@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to

display
> information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a

hassel
> to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
> logging in sometimes.

SDreamer

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
Sorry forgot about that. Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, Internet Explorer 8. Here's
the hypothetical situation. I currently have two tabs open in IE8, and I
realize I needed to open a new window of the 2nd tab, not in a a tab. Unlike
Google Chrome, IE8 doesn't seem to have the feature of "tab tearing," but is
there some context menu I could perhaps add to when I right click a tab to
choose to make the tab a new window instead? So then I have Tab A and Tab B,
and I right click on Tab > "Open in New Window" and Tab B will open in a new
window, so I can view both websites side by side. I realized this would be
helpful to my workflow when I was updating my personal calendar on Google
Calendar, with a schedule from another website. It's kinda annoying having
to open a new window, then navigate to the site, especially if it's a site
where I must log in again. Thanks.

> Huh?
>
> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> SDreamer wrote:
>> Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to
>> display
>> information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a
>> hassel
>> to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
>> logging in sometimes.

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
To open an IE window or tab in new IE window: CTRL+N

SDreamer wrote:
> Sorry forgot about that. Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, Internet Explorer 8.
> Here's
> the hypothetical situation. I currently have two tabs open in IE8, and I
> realize I needed to open a new window of the 2nd tab, not in a a tab.
> Unlike
> Google Chrome, IE8 doesn't seem to have the feature of "tab tearing," but
> is
> there some context menu I could perhaps add to when I right click a tab to
> choose to make the tab a new window instead? So then I have Tab A and Tab
> B,
> and I right click on Tab > "Open in New Window" and Tab B will open in a
> new
> window, so I can view both websites side by side. I realized this would be
> helpful to my workflow when I was updating my personal calendar on Google
> Calendar, with a schedule from another website. It's kinda annoying having
> to open a new window, then navigate to the site, especially if it's a site
> where I must log in again. Thanks.

>> Huh?
>>
>> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
>> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> SDreamer wrote:
>>> Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to
>>> display
>>> information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a
>>> hassel
>>> to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
>>> logging in sometimes.

Steve Hebert

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
Well, almost, but not exactly.....
If you have another instance of IE already open (or open a new one), you can drag from the address bar of 'old tab' to anywhere in the body of the 'new window' and the new window will open that page.

Steve

"SDreamer" <saelientdreams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%236TfLjNsJHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Sorry forgot about that. Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, Internet Explorer 8. Here's
> the hypothetical situation. I currently have two tabs open in IE8, and I
> realize I needed to open a new window of the 2nd tab, not in a a tab. Unlike
> Google Chrome, IE8 doesn't seem to have the feature of "tab tearing," but is
> there some context menu I could perhaps add to when I right click a tab to
> choose to make the tab a new window instead? So then I have Tab A and Tab B,
> and I right click on Tab > "Open in New Window" and Tab B will open in a new
> window, so I can view both websites side by side. I realized this would be
> helpful to my workflow when I was updating my personal calendar on Google
> Calendar, with a schedule from another website. It's kinda annoying having
> to open a new window, then navigate to the site, especially if it's a site
> where I must log in again. Thanks.

>> Huh?
>>
>> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
>> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> SDreamer wrote:
>>> Was wondering if this was possible, so two windows could be used to
>>> display
>>> information. Sometimes, I already have two tabs opened up, and it's a
>>> hassel
>>> to open up another IE window and then copying and pasting the url, and
>>> logging in sometimes.

dariusz

Re: Possible to open tab in new window?
@SDreamer - Tab tearing is a great feature for sure. You can do
something similar with the Tab Mix Plus! addon for Firefox. I wrote
about this same issue today http://grabka.org/internet/2009/04/alttabforweb/

@PA Bear - Absolutely the worst MVP response I have ever seen, to date.