Installing IE on a non-boot drive

Ildhund

Installing IE on a non-boot drive
For more than two years, I have had IE7 installed on a partition
which does not contain my boot drive. IE6 still sits on the C drive,
which is short of space. IE7 is my default browser (on XPSP3), and
I've experienced no problems at all with this arrangement. Still,
I'd now like to give IE8 a try, and I'd like to put it on my boot
drive to eliminate any quirks that could result from not doing so.
I'll free up the space required, but how can I force IE8 to install
to C:\Program Files instead of %programfiles%, which is designated
as E:\program files? A command line parameter?
--
Noel

Leonard Grey

Re: Installing IE on a non-boot drive
Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system. It installs
where it was designed by Microsoft to install. This is not subject to
user control.

One of the keys to success when upgrading Windows is to ensure that your
existing copy of Windows is being operated in a supported manner. If you
choose to operate your computer otherwise, the results of upgrading are
not predictable in advance.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ildhund wrote:
> For more than two years, I have had IE7 installed on a partition which
> does not contain my boot drive. IE6 still sits on the C drive, which is
> short of space. IE7 is my default browser (on XPSP3), and I've
> experienced no problems at all with this arrangement. Still, I'd now
> like to give IE8 a try, and I'd like to put it on my boot drive to
> eliminate any quirks that could result from not doing so. I'll free up
> the space required, but how can I force IE8 to install to C:\Program
> Files instead of %programfiles%, which is designated as E:\program
> files? A command line parameter?

Ildhund

Re: Installing IE on a non-boot drive
Thanks, Leonard - but that doesn't really answer my question. IE7
installed itself in %programfiles%, so I can only assume that this
is "where it was designed by Microsoft to install". When trying to
find an answer to my question by searching this group (and other
sites), the only reference I came across said that IE must be
installed on the boot drive. So, how do I make sure that that is
what happens? I'm not the first person in the world to have had to
move %programfiles% because of shortage of space on C:
--
Noel