what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??

2harts4ever

what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
Good afternoon,

I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.

I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this world
eons ago ..lol

Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
and click on one of the items for more information.

The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: HHCTRL
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1904
Date: 3/26/2009
Time: 1:59:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.

The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous Internet
Explorer releases.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

--
" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."
Kevin

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
I'm getting them here too. As you said it appears to be related to using
Help

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>
> I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
> with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this
> world
> eons ago ..lol
>
> Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
> appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
> and click on one of the items for more information.
>
> The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: HHCTRL
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1904
> Date: 3/26/2009
> Time: 1:59:39 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
> The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be
> found.
> The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
> message
> DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
> use
> the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
> for
> details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
>
> The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
> seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous
> Internet
> Explorer releases.
>
> Is this something I should be concerned with?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
>

> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

2harts4ever

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reporting you are experiencing the same entry. I was hoping it
wasn't just me. Hopefully someone will come along and tell us what the
HHCTRL entry in our Event Viewer > Application Section actually means.

I have 'googled' it but what I find leaves me clueless.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--

"Kevin" wrote:

> I'm getting them here too. As you said it appears to be related to using
> Help
>
> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good afternoon,
> >
> > I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> > 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
> >
> > I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
> > with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this
> > world
> > eons ago ..lol
> >
> > Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
> > appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
> > and click on one of the items for more information.
> >
> > The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
> >
> > Event Type: Information
> > Event Source: HHCTRL
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 1904
> > Date: 3/26/2009
> > Time: 1:59:39 PM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be
> > found.
> > The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
> > message
> > DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
> > use
> > the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
> > for
> > details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
> >
> > The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
> > seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous
> > Internet
> > Explorer releases.
> >
> > Is this something I should be concerned with?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >

> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

Kevin

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
2harts4ever,
I too Googled HHCTRL. Most of the posts that I found were from last year or
the year before. Nothing recent.
I'd give it a few days, once people start actually reading through the Help
file and look at their Event Viewer.
-Kevin
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for reporting you are experiencing the same entry. I was hoping it
> wasn't just me. Hopefully someone will come along and tell us what the
> HHCTRL entry in our Event Viewer > Application Section actually means.
>
> I have 'googled' it but what I find leaves me clueless.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."
>

> "Kevin" wrote:
>
>> I'm getting them here too. As you said it appears to be related to using
>> Help
>>
>> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Good afternoon,
>> >
>> > I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
>> > 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>> >
>> > I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than
>> > pleased
>> > with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this
>> > world
>> > eons ago ..lol
>> >
>> > Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
>> > appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet
>> > Explorer >
>> > and click on one of the items for more information.
>> >
>> > The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
>> >
>> > Event Type: Information
>> > Event Source: HHCTRL
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 1904
>> > Date: 3/26/2009
>> > Time: 1:59:39 PM
>> > User: N/A
>> > Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be
>> > found.
>> > The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
>> > message
>> > DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
>> > use
>> > the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
>> > for
>> > details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
>> >
>> > The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
>> > seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous
>> > Internet
>> > Explorer releases.
>> >
>> > Is this something I should be concerned with?
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> >
>> > 2harts4ever
>> >

>> > --
>> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

ju.c

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
"This problem occurs because security update 896358 and 890175
prevent HTML content that is outside the Local Machine zone
from creating an instance of the HTML Help ActiveX control
(HHCTRL). This change was introduced to reduce security
vulnerabilities in HTML Help."

Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you
install security update 896358 or security update 890175
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675

A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358

ju.c

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D288305-6DBF-439B-90A8-26D93693C28C@microsoft.com...
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>
> I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
> with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this world
> eons ago ..lol
>
> Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
> appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
> and click on one of the items for more information.
>
> The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: HHCTRL
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1904
> Date: 3/26/2009
> Time: 1:59:39 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
> The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
> The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
> DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
> the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
> details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
>
> The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
> seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous Internet
> Explorer releases.
>
> Is this something I should be concerned with?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
>

> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

2harts4ever

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??

ju.c,

So what are we supposed to do or do we just let it alone?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

"ju.c" wrote:

> "This problem occurs because security update 896358 and 890175
> prevent HTML content that is outside the Local Machine zone
> from creating an instance of the HTML Help ActiveX control
> (HHCTRL). This change was introduced to reduce security
> vulnerabilities in HTML Help."
>
> Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you
> install security update 896358 or security update 890175
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675
>
> A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
>

> ju.c
>

> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D288305-6DBF-439B-90A8-26D93693C28C@microsoft.com...
> > Good afternoon,
> >
> > I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> > 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
> >
> > I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
> > with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this world
> > eons ago ..lol
> >
> > Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
> > appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
> > and click on one of the items for more information.
> >
> > The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
> >
> > Event Type: Information
> > Event Source: HHCTRL
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 1904
> > Date: 3/26/2009
> > Time: 1:59:39 PM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
> > The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
> > DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
> > the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
> > details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
> >
> > The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
> > seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous Internet
> > Explorer releases.
> >
> > Is this something I should be concerned with?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >

> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

ju.c

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
Ignore the errors. They're not actually errors, but someone decided
that we would want to see them. I disagree, as you probably do too.

ju.c

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85049FEB-B5FC-46B3-957D-471BE0E428DA@microsoft.com...

> ju.c,
>
> So what are we supposed to do or do we just let it alone?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
>

> "ju.c" wrote:
>
>> "This problem occurs because security update 896358 and 890175
>> prevent HTML content that is outside the Local Machine zone
>> from creating an instance of the HTML Help ActiveX control
>> (HHCTRL). This change was introduced to reduce security
>> vulnerabilities in HTML Help."
>>
>> Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you
>> install security update 896358 or security update 890175
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675
>>
>> A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D288305-6DBF-439B-90A8-26D93693C28C@microsoft.com...
>> > Good afternoon,
>> >
>> > I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
>> > 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>> >
>> > I just installed IE8 about two days ago and so far I am more than pleased
>> > with it. It has some problems but so did I when I first entered this world
>> > eons ago ..lol
>> >
>> > Seriously, since installing IE8 I notice that a new entry has started
>> > appearing in my Event Viewer everytime I go to Help > Internet Explorer >
>> > and click on one of the items for more information.
>> >
>> > The entry in my Event Viewer looks like this:
>> >
>> > Event Type: Information
>> > Event Source: HHCTRL
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 1904
>> > Date: 3/26/2009
>> > Time: 1:59:39 PM
>> > User: N/A
>> > Computer: xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
>> > The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
>> > DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
>> > the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
>> > details. The following information is part of the event: about:blank,
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.
>> >
>> > The help section seems to be working just fine but I don't ever recall
>> > seeing this HHCTRL entry in my Event Viewer with any of the previous Internet
>> > Explorer releases.
>> >
>> > Is this something I should be concerned with?
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> >
>> > 2harts4ever
>> >

>> > --
>> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too! ..."

2harts4ever

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
ju.c,

Thank you for your answer. That is what I was looking for.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

2harts4ever
--

"ju.c" wrote:

> Ignore the errors. They're not actually errors, but someone decided
> that we would want to see them. I disagree, as you probably do too.
>

> ju.c
>

> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85049FEB-B5FC-46B3-957D-471BE0E428DA@microsoft.com...
> >
> > ju.c,
> >
> > So what are we supposed to do or do we just let it alone?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >

> > "ju.c" wrote:
> >
> >> "This problem occurs because security update 896358 and 890175
> >> prevent HTML content that is outside the Local Machine zone
> >> from creating an instance of the HTML Help ActiveX control
> >> (HHCTRL). This change was introduced to reduce security
> >> vulnerabilities in HTML Help."
> >>
> >> Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you
> >> install security update 896358 or security update 890175
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675
> >>
> >> A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
> >>

> >> ju.c

ju.c

Re: what are the HHCTRL entries listed in Event Viewer??
You're welcome, and a good weekend to you too!

ju.c