IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!

funkymom

IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
I downloaded IE8 yesterday and it messed me up big time. At first I had my IE
shortcut on my desktop. I could click it but, I couldn't get online. Then
after clearing files and restarting I lost IE completely. It is no longer in
my program files or my desktop no where can it be found. I am now going thru
my start menu and going thru my favorites to get on. Daughter came over and
installed firefox. She says IE is not good at all and she won't use it. After
this experience I am starting to agree with her. What happened to my IE? Why
can't I find it anywhere in my computer yet my favorites seem to work using
IE? Please help.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
Is there a file on your computer by the name of iexplore.exe?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

funkymom wrote:
> I downloaded IE8 yesterday and it messed me up big time. At first I had my IE
> shortcut on my desktop. I could click it but, I couldn't get online. Then
> after clearing files and restarting I lost IE completely. It is no longer in
> my program files or my desktop no where can it be found. I am now going thru
> my start menu and going thru my favorites to get on. Daughter came over and
> installed firefox. She says IE is not good at all and she won't use it. After
> this experience I am starting to agree with her. What happened to my IE? Why
> can't I find it anywhere in my computer yet my favorites seem to work using
> IE? Please help.

harvey@schmidlapp.biz

Re: IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
There are several things you can do. Locate the following using
Windows Explorer ... not Internet Explorer:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

and click on that file ... iexplore.exe

This should cause IE8 to open 'normally'. Go back to Windows Explorer
and RIGHT CLICK on that same file, mouse over SEND TO and left click
on Desktop. This will put your blue E on the desktop.

If none of this works, try opening Control Panel, left click
Add/Remove Programs, and UNinstall IE8 which should revert you back to
IE7 and hopefully your blue E on your desktop.

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:52:04 -0700, funkymom
<funkymom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I downloaded IE8 yesterday and it messed me up big time. At first I had my IE
>shortcut on my desktop. I could click it but, I couldn't get online. Then
>after clearing files and restarting I lost IE completely. It is no longer in
>my program files or my desktop no where can it be found. I am now going thru
>my start menu and going thru my favorites to get on. Daughter came over and
>installed firefox. She says IE is not good at all and she won't use it. After
>this experience I am starting to agree with her. What happened to my IE? Why
>can't I find it anywhere in my computer yet my favorites seem to work using
>IE? Please help.

Re: IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
posting to this newsgroup.

Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK => What happens?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

funkymom wrote:
> I downloaded IE8 yesterday and it messed me up big time. At first I had my
> IE shortcut on my desktop. I could click it but, I couldn't get online.
> Then
> after clearing files and restarting I lost IE completely. It is no longer
> in
> my program files or my desktop no where can it be found. I am now going
> thru
> my start menu and going thru my favorites to get on. Daughter came over
> and
> installed firefox. She says IE is not good at all and she won't use it.
> After this experience I am starting to agree with her. What happened to my
> IE? Why can't I find it anywhere in my computer yet my favorites seem to
> work using IE? Please help.

kc#erica

RE: IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
It seems like to me your internet explorer didn't get deleted if you're able
to click on the favorites and go onto internet explorer. If you want a
shortcut for internet explorer you can just go to the homepage you want,
highlight the address, copy the address, and paste it to the desktop and if
you want it on the start menu right click the shortcut you made and select
pin to start menu. You can also reinstall internet explorer and this will
recreate the files that got erased and put shortcut on desktop and start menu
and make the folders in your programs file. I think the files just got erased
which is different from a program being uninstalled.
"funkymom" wrote:

> I downloaded IE8 yesterday and it messed me up big time. At first I had my IE
> shortcut on my desktop. I could click it but, I couldn't get online. Then
> after clearing files and restarting I lost IE completely. It is no longer in
> my program files or my desktop no where can it be found. I am now going thru
> my start menu and going thru my favorites to get on. Daughter came over and
> installed firefox. She says IE is not good at all and she won't use it. After
> this experience I am starting to agree with her. What happened to my IE? Why
> can't I find it anywhere in my computer yet my favorites seem to work using
> IE? Please help.

Anna

RE: IE 8 Messed up my computer big time.....Help!!!
I made that mistake as well. Not only would IE8 not work, but when I did a
System Restore, I found that IE7 was corrupted and dead in the water! Thank
goodness I tried IE8 on a secondary computer and not my main one! I was not a
happy camper! After trying what seemed like a ton of suggestions to get IE7
running (as well as several 'restore' points), I finally went back to the
point where IE8 was installed.....was able to uninstall it....and 'thank the
gods', IE7 was restored and is now working just fine. I won't be installing
IE8 anytime in the near future. As an FYI....my computer has Windows XP
Professional SP3.