Suggested Sites - how to turn off in IE8?

Dave Horne

Suggested Sites - how to turn off in IE8?
I'm a glutton for punishment. I've reinstalled IE8 to give it another
chance. I want to turn off Suggested Sites so I looked in Help. There is
no 'Suggested Sites' option anywhere I can find in Tools.

Am I not understanding this?

KCB

Re: Suggested Sites - how to turn off in IE8?

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
> I'm a glutton for punishment. I've reinstalled IE8 to give it another
> chance. I want to turn off Suggested Sites so I looked in Help.
> There is no 'Suggested Sites' option anywhere I can find in Tools.
>
> Am I not understanding this?

I found it in the Tools menu on the Command Bar, but not in the File
Menu/Tools Menu. The Command Bar is just under the Search Box, and
includes your Home button. Click Tools over there and you'll see
Suggested Sites. If it's checked, it's on; if it's not checked, it's
off. If your Command Bar is not showing, right click the empty space
under your Address Bar, then select it.

Re: Suggested Sites - how to turn off in IE8?
<QP>
....if you want to disable Suggested Sites entry points, you can use the
Group Policy editor. Or you can import the registry values directly:
www.enhanceie.com/dl/disablesuggestedsites.reg
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lable-now.aspx
(Comments section)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave Horne wrote:
> I'm a glutton for punishment. I've reinstalled IE8 to give it another
> chance. I want to turn off Suggested Sites so I looked in Help. There is
> no 'Suggested Sites' option anywhere I can find in Tools.
>
> Am I not understanding this?

Dave Horne

"KCB" <bcgc_qc@hootmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> I'm a glutton for punishment. I've reinstalled IE8 to give it another
>> chance. I want to turn off Suggested Sites so I looked in Help. There is
>> no 'Suggested Sites' option anywhere I can find in Tools.
>>
>> Am I not understanding this?

> I found it in the Tools menu on the Command Bar, but not in the File
> Menu/Tools Menu. The Command Bar is just under the Search Box, and
> includes your Home button. Click Tools over there and you'll see
> Suggested Sites. If it's checked, it's on; if it's not checked, it's off.
> If your Command Bar is not showing, right click the empty space under your
> Address Bar, then select it.

Thanks, now I see it. I was just looking at the Tools menu from the Menu
bar.

Thanks. DH

libeccio42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Suggested Sites - how to turn off in IE8?
I am a user of Windows XP Pro – SP3 totally up to date.
After trying all the suggestions above, with negative results (the damn Suggested Sites kept on reappearing on my Favorite bar) I decided on drastic actions, and this worked.
I went to Start > Run > regedit – From here I searched for the I edit-searched for “Suggested Sites” and found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Suggested Sites]
I deleted this registry HKEY and guess what? The damn Suggested Sites are no more!
I have used the system for several days now, with no problem. The tab “Suggested Sites” in the dropdown menu “Tools” is not clickable.