IE 8 Release version is sharing session cookies across browsers

Rob ^_^

Re: IE 8 Release version is sharing session cookies across browsers
Referrers IP address.

Regards.
"jdaigle" <jdaigle.3qaks1@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> EricLaw/PA Bear,
> I can validate what version of a browser the end user of our app is
> running, is there any way to also validate that, if it is IE8, the IE8
> window was opened with -NoMerge option? or another way to ensure it has
> its own unique session, not linked to any other existing IE windows.
>
> thanks,
> Jeremiah
>
> 'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
>> ;1207117']~waves & thanx @EricLaw~
>>
>> EricLaw wrote:
>> > This behavior is by-design for IE8. We elected to make session
>> > handling more consistent. Previously, some entry points would create
>> > a new session (e.g. clicking a desktop icon) while others did not
>> > (e.g. File > New Window).
>> >
>> > There's a little test page that makes this easy to demo here:
>> > 'Browser Session Test' (http://www.enhanceie.com/test/sessions/)
>> >
>> > Now in IE8, new sessions are created explicitly, by clicking File >
>> > New Session, or by starting iexplore.exe with the -nomerge command
>> > line parameter.
>> >
>> > I'll be putting up a post on this topic on the IEBlog

>> (blogs.msdn.com/
>> > ie) shortly.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Eric Lawrence
>> > Security Program Manager

>> web

>> session

>> how it

>> session. No

>> you can

> --
> jdaigle

jdaigle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE 8 Release version is sharing session cookies across browsers
Not sure what you are talking about, could you clarify?
thanks,
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob ^_^ View Post

Referrers IP address.

Regards.

> EricLaw/PA Bear,
> I can validate what version of a browser the end user of our app is
> running, is there any way to also validate that, if it is IE8, the IE8
> window was opened with -NoMerge option? or another way to ensure it has
> its own unique session, not linked to any other existing IE windows.
>
> thanks,
> Jeremiah
>
> 'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
>> ;1207117']~waves & thanx @EricLaw~
>>
>> EricLaw wrote:
>> > This behavior is by-design for IE8. We elected to make session
>> > handling more consistent. Previously, some entry points would create
>> > a new session (e.g. clicking a desktop icon) while others did not
>> > (e.g. File > New Window).
>> >
>> > There's a little test page that makes this easy to demo here:
>> > 'Browser Session Test' (Browser Session Test)
>> >
>> > Now in IE8, new sessions are created explicitly, by clicking File >
>> > New Session, or by starting iexplore.exe with the -nomerge command
>> > line parameter.
>> >
>> > I'll be putting up a post on this topic on the IEBlog
>> (blogs.msdn.com/
>> > ie) shortly.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Eric Lawrence
>> > Security Program Manager

>> web
>> session
>> how it

>> session. No
>> you can

> --
> jdaigle

Rob ^_^

Re: IE 8 Release version is sharing session cookies across browsers
Each request to a server has a referrer.

Store sessionID's and IP address pairs on session start. Remove them on
session end.
On session start check if the IP address of the referrer already has a
session ID. Send them back a message page of such if that is your intent.
(One session per PC/Workstation)
"jdaigle" <jdaigle.3qank7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Not sure what you are talking about, could you clarify?
> thanks,
> Jeremiah
>

> Rob ^_^;1218538 Wrote:
>>

>> Referrers IP address.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> > EricLaw/PA Bear,
>> > I can validate what version of a browser the end user of our app is
>> > running, is there any way to also validate that, if it is IE8, the

>> IE8
>> > window was opened with -NoMerge option? or another way to ensure it

>> has
>> > its own unique session, not linked to any other existing IE windows.
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > Jeremiah

>> create

>> (http://www.enhanceie.com/test/sessions/))

>> to a

>> exactly

>> example.

>> this.

>> > --
>> > jdaigle

> jdaigle

KingAragorn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE 8 Release version is sharing session cookies across browsers
>> EricLaw wrote:
> > This behavior is by-design for IE8. We elected to make session
> > handling more consistent. Previously, some entry points would[/color]
>> create
> > a new session (e.g. clicking a desktop icon) while others did not
> > (e.g. File > New Window).

> > There's a little test page that makes this easy to demo here:
> > 'Browser Session Test' ('Browser Session Test'

>> (Browser Session Test))[color=darkred]
> >
> > Now in IE8, new sessions are created explicitly, by clicking File
>> >
> > New Session, or by starting iexplore.exe with the -nomerge command
> > line parameter.
> >
> > I'll be putting up a post on this topic on the IEBlog
> (blogs.msdn.com/ie) shortly.

> > Thanks,

> > Eric Lawrence
> > Security Program Manager
> > Internet Explorer

Eric

I recently tried your test page and found inconsistent behaviour when using the File > New Session. Whilst it worked correctly for a few color changes eventually window 1 was affected by changes in window 2 (The window opened using File>New Session)

The only way I have found so far is to create a new session is to use a In Private session.

Peter Thiele