IE7 and IE8 do not work.

Michel Racicot

IE7 and IE8 do not work.
I have a weird problem.

My IE7 just stopped working some time ago.

When I clicked on the icon, I got this message:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe'. Make
sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,
click the Start button, and then click Search.

However, the iexplore.exe *IS* located in the above path and even if I click
the .exe normally, (without using the shortcut), I still got the message.

Installed IE8 this morning and... I got the same problem!

Nothing can be found in my event viewer.

Any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 and IE8 do not work.

"Michel Racicot" <mracicot@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23y1FSciqJHA.5624@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have a weird problem.
>
> My IE7 just stopped working some time ago.
>
> When I clicked on the icon, I got this message:
>
> Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe'. Make
> sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,
> click the Start button, and then click Search.
>
> However, the iexplore.exe *IS* located in the above path and even if I click
> the .exe normally, (without using the shortcut), I still got the message.
>
> Installed IE8 this morning and... I got the same problem!
>
> Nothing can be found in my event viewer.
>

> Any ideas?

It's probably coming for one of the modules that iexplore.exe
wants to load. Try using msinfo32.exe to check out that
possibility. E.g. in an English version of XP you could do
that explicitly with Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

msinfo32.exe /category IEFileVersions

Sort descending on the Version column and look for
<File Missing>. (Don't worry about the iecont* files
or that there is no info for *.inf files. <w>)

Otherwise you could use ProcMon to get more insight
on what your symptom really means. Another diagnostic
which could yield some interesting results would be to
run iexplore.exe under DependencyWalker's Profiler
feature. E.g. then you could find out which calls occurred
leading up to the message.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: IE7 and IE8 do not work.
You have a hijackware problem and upgrading to IE8 isn't going to fix it.

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075