Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009
Kamen
 

Posts: n/a
Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search to
improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar in Internet
Explorer 8?
I won't install Search 4.0 - my machine will hardly take indexing search -
it's 3-years old and not of the fastest on Earth.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8

"Kamen" <Kamen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B8E3A8A2-C673-4E96-8A17-C7C4AF2B2190@microsoft.com...
> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search to
> improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar in
> Internet
> Explorer 8?
> I won't install Search 4.0 - my machine will hardly take indexing search -
> it's 3-years old and not of the fastest on Earth.


It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it:

Copy and paste the following into the Run box and click OK:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ
/d 99 /f

As always it's best to back up any Registry Key before making changes.
Before making the above mentioned change, use the Registry Editor to Export
the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

Save it to your Desktop as "WindowsSearch.reg"

You can use it to restore the Registry should anything go wrong.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2009
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Kamen wrote:

> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search to
> improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar in
> Internet Explorer 8?
> I won't install Search 4.0 - my machine will hardly take indexing search -
> it's 3-years old and not of the fastest on Earth.


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513
"Internet Explorer 8 may prompt you with the following message when you type
inside the Address bar: "Download Windows Search to improve history and
favorites results".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2009
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Donald Anadell wrote:

> Kamen wrote ...
>>
>> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search
>> to improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar
>> in Internet Explorer 8?

>
> It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it. Copy and paste the
> following [as 1 line but shown below in 2 lines] into the Run box and
> click OK:
>
> REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t
> REG_SZ /d 99 /f
>
> As always it's best to back up any Registry Key before making
> changes. Before making the above mentioned change, use the Registry
> Editor to Export the following Key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search
>
> Save it to your Desktop as "WindowsSearch.reg" You can use it to
> restore the Registry should anything go wrong.


So, in the registry, this lies that Windows Search is installed (and at
version 99) when, in fact, it is not installed. Wouldn't lying about
the presence of Windows Search cause problems in applications, including
those in Windows, that would then believe Windows Search was installed?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2009
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gq51uv$t8i$1@news.motzarella.org...
> Donald Anadell wrote:
>
>> Kamen wrote ...
>>>
>>> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search
>>> to improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar
>>> in Internet Explorer 8?

>>
>> It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it. Copy and paste the
>> following [as 1 line but shown below in 2 lines] into the Run box and
>> click OK:
>>
>> REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t
>> REG_SZ /d 99 /f
>>
>> As always it's best to back up any Registry Key before making
>> changes. Before making the above mentioned change, use the Registry
>> Editor to Export the following Key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search
>>
>> Save it to your Desktop as "WindowsSearch.reg" You can use it to
>> restore the Registry should anything go wrong.

>
> So, in the registry, this lies that Windows Search is installed (and at
> version 99) when, in fact, it is not installed.


> Wouldn't lying about
> the presence of Windows Search cause problems in applications, including
> those in Windows, that would then believe Windows Search was installed?


I wouldn't think so VanguardLH, since "Windows Search" is an add-on
application in Windows XP. I can't think of any XP Operating System
functionality that would be impacted by this Registry Tweak. Of course Vista
and Windows 7 come with Windows Search installed by default, so the nag in
IE8 about installing it is a moot point for those operating systems.

Having said that, I've been known to be wrong before. But for now that's my
story and I'm sticking to it)

Donald Anadell



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009
Kamen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Did the trick yesterday and no problems so far...
Though I use Search 4 at work and on my laptop and I am with mixed feelings
- unstable but quite fast and convinient. So, I'd advise people to install
it, in case they consider the Indexing service won't slow down their
machines...

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Donald Anadell wrote:
>
> > Kamen wrote ...
> >>
> >> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search
> >> to improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar
> >> in Internet Explorer 8?

> >
> > It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it. Copy and paste the
> > following [as 1 line but shown below in 2 lines] into the Run box and
> > click OK:
> >
> > REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t
> > REG_SZ /d 99 /f
> >
> > As always it's best to back up any Registry Key before making
> > changes. Before making the above mentioned change, use the Registry
> > Editor to Export the following Key:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search
> >
> > Save it to your Desktop as "WindowsSearch.reg" You can use it to
> > restore the Registry should anything go wrong.

>
> So, in the registry, this lies that Windows Search is installed (and at
> version 99) when, in fact, it is not installed. Wouldn't lying about
> the presence of Windows Search cause problems in applications, including
> those in Windows, that would then believe Windows Search was installed?
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009
Kamen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Really, dude, do you thnink this article is anywhere near useful in case I
want the line removed and Search not installed?

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> Kamen wrote:
>
> > How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search to
> > improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar in
> > Internet Explorer 8?
> > I won't install Search 4.0 - my machine will hardly take indexing search -
> > it's 3-years old and not of the fastest on Earth.

>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513
> "Internet Explorer 8 may prompt you with the following message when you type
> inside the Address bar: "Download Windows Search to improve history and
> favorites results".
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Kamen wrote:

> Really, dude, do you thnink this article is anywhere near useful in case I
> want the line removed and Search not installed?


Please, feel free to ignore my post.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Kamen wrote:
>>
>>> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows Search to
>>> improve history and favorites results' line from the address bar in
>>> Internet Explorer 8?
>>> I won't install Search 4.0 - my machine will hardly take indexing
>>> search - it's 3-years old and not of the fastest on Earth.

>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513
>> "Internet Explorer 8 may prompt you with the following message when you
>> type inside the Address bar: "Download Windows Search to improve history
>> and favorites results".
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8
Donald Anadell wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Donald Anadell wrote:
>>
>>> Kamen wrote ...
>>>>
>>>> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows
>>>> Search to improve history and favorites results' line from the
>>>> address bar in Internet Explorer 8?
>>>
>>> It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it. ...
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

>>
>> So, in the registry, this lies that Windows Search is installed (and
>> at version 99) when, in fact, it is not installed. Wouldn't lying
>> about the presence of Windows Search cause problems in applications,
>> including those in Windows, that would then believe Windows Search
>> was installed?

>
> I wouldn't think so VanguardLH, since "Windows Search" is an add-on
> application in Windows XP. ...


Isn't that same registry entry used by the Windows Search *program*?
How do you get the add-on without installing the program? As with
Adobe Reader, you install the *program* to also include its add-on.
You can't just get the add-on (because it is just a handler to pass the
document to the server engine which is the program).

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-5b98904f7cda
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remove 'Download Windows Search' line from IE8

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gq8v1k$iv8$1@news.motzarella.org...
> Donald Anadell wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>>
>>> Donald Anadell wrote:
>>>
>>>> Kamen wrote ...
>>>>>
>>>>> How can I remove the annoyingly irritating 'Download Windows
>>>>> Search to improve history and favorites results' line from the
>>>>> address bar in Internet Explorer 8?
>>>>
>>>> It requires a Registry Tweak to remove it. ...
>>>>
>>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search
>>>
>>> So, in the registry, this lies that Windows Search is installed (and
>>> at version 99) when, in fact, it is not installed. Wouldn't lying
>>> about the presence of Windows Search cause problems in applications,
>>> including those in Windows, that would then believe Windows Search
>>> was installed?

>>
>> I wouldn't think so VanguardLH, since "Windows Search" is an add-on
>> application in Windows XP. ...

>


> Isn't that same registry entry used by the Windows Search *program*?


Yes, but that Reg key is put there by the IE8 installation on a Windows XP
machine if you don't have Windows Search installed already. Presumably so
that it can nag you about installing Windows Search in order to utilize the
new Smart Address Bar feature.

If:
1. You don't want to use the new Smart Address Feature in IE8 on your
Windows XP installation.
2. You don't want to install Windows Search on Windows XP in order to
facilitate that new Feature.
3. You don't want to be nagged about about installing Windows Search in the
Address Bar.

Then adding the String Value of "CurrenVersion" with a Data Value of "99"
will remove that nag in the Address Bar about installing Windows Search.

> How do you get the add-on without installing the program?


You don't, but that's precisely what the OP wants. He doesn't want to
install Windows Search and he doesn't want to be nagged about installing it
either.

> As with
> Adobe Reader, you install the *program* to also include its add-on.


That's correct, but in this case the user doesn't want to install the add-on
and doesn't want to be nagged about it either. If he doesn't install
Windows Search then he just doesn't get the indexing of History and
Favorites in the Smart Address bar.

Donald Anadell



> You can't just get the add-on (because it is just a handler to pass the
> document to the server engine which is the program).
>
> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-5b98904f7cda



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning of prompt to download Windows search Laimonas microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 5 03-21-2009 16:30
Download Search Connectors for Windows 7 Federated Search WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 01-30-2009 19:20
How do you remove the e-mail address from "To line" in Windows Mai USNRet microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 8 12-28-2007 21:59
Article ID: 930433 The "Remove Search Computer Link" Group Policy setting removes the "Search the Internet" option that is in the Start menu search box instead of the "See all results" option in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Can't remove explorer menu bar after install/remove Live Search Club toolbar Robert Firth microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 08-08-2007 10:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120