After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows Expl

Engbert

After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows Expl
Two weeks ago, I installed the RC1 of ie8, and also updated Norton 360. Then
I found that in Windows Exploer/Computer, and also Power Desk 7 which uses
some of WE, any time I delete a file Windows Explorer crashes and restarts.

In PowerDesk I can use shift delete, which does not use the recycle bin, or
Ctrl-K, which scrubs the file, OK. Other programs which delete files, such
as ACDSee, Adobe Bridge work perfectly well. I reinstalled Windows because I
could not find a fix. Norton said they did not support IE8, so I used McAfee.

Now IE8 is released, I installed it again and then installed the latest
Norton 360, v3.0. Everything else works fine, but then I noticed that the
delete problem has reappeared.

Is there a way to repair Window Explorer without reinstalling Windows? I
have Vista Home Premium, always kept fully updated.

TaurArian

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows Expl
Engbert wrote:
:: Two weeks ago, I installed the RC1 of ie8, and also updated Norton
:: 360. Then I found that in Windows Exploer/Computer, and also Power
:: Desk 7 which uses some of WE, any time I delete a file Windows
:: Explorer crashes and restarts.
::
:: In PowerDesk I can use shift delete, which does not use the recycle
:: bin, or Ctrl-K, which scrubs the file, OK. Other programs which
:: delete files, such as ACDSee, Adobe Bridge work perfectly well. I
:: reinstalled Windows because I could not find a fix. Norton said
:: they did not support IE8, so I used McAfee.
::
:: Now IE8 is released, I installed it again and then installed the
:: latest Norton 360, v3.0. Everything else works fine, but then I
:: noticed that the delete problem has reappeared.
::
:: Is there a way to repair Window Explorer without reinstalling
:: Windows? I have Vista Home Premium, always kept fully updated.

Have you tried reversing your steps -

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Engbert

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
Thank you for your reply.

Before going through all this again, I would just like to know if anyone
else has this problem. I could not find it in search. Unfortunately, I do
not know whether the problem is w ie8 final or n360 or the combination. Is
there a way to separately repair Windows Explorer without reinstalling
Windows?

Incidentally, Windows Dfender is also running.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Engbert wrote:
> :: Two weeks ago, I installed the RC1 of ie8, and also updated Norton
> :: 360. Then I found that in Windows Exploer/Computer, and also Power
> :: Desk 7 which uses some of WE, any time I delete a file Windows
> :: Explorer crashes and restarts.
> ::
> :: In PowerDesk I can use shift delete, which does not use the recycle
> :: bin, or Ctrl-K, which scrubs the file, OK. Other programs which
> :: delete files, such as ACDSee, Adobe Bridge work perfectly well. I
> :: reinstalled Windows because I could not find a fix. Norton said
> :: they did not support IE8, so I used McAfee.
> ::
> :: Now IE8 is released, I installed it again and then installed the
> :: latest Norton 360, v3.0. Everything else works fine, but then I
> :: noticed that the delete problem has reappeared.
> ::
> :: Is there a way to repair Window Explorer without reinstalling
> :: Windows? I have Vista Home Premium, always kept fully updated.
>

> Have you tried reversing your steps -
>
> How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Engbert

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
I contacted Norton again, and uninstalled n360. The problem was cured.

Reinstalled Norton 360 v 3, and the problem reappeared. The Norton tech in
chat says that there are still incompatibilities twixt N360 and ie8. I can
put up with this for now - I can delete files in power Desk 7 using either
the shift delete or ControlK.

"Engbert" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Before going through all this again, I would just like to know if anyone
> else has this problem. I could not find it in search. Unfortunately, I do
> not know whether the problem is w ie8 final or n360 or the combination. Is
> there a way to separately repair Windows Explorer without reinstalling
> Windows?
>
> Incidentally, Windows Dfender is also running.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Engbert wrote:
> > :: Two weeks ago, I installed the RC1 of ie8, and also updated Norton
> > :: 360. Then I found that in Windows Exploer/Computer, and also Power
> > :: Desk 7 which uses some of WE, any time I delete a file Windows
> > :: Explorer crashes and restarts.
> > ::
> > :: In PowerDesk I can use shift delete, which does not use the recycle
> > :: bin, or Ctrl-K, which scrubs the file, OK. Other programs which
> > :: delete files, such as ACDSee, Adobe Bridge work perfectly well. I
> > :: reinstalled Windows because I could not find a fix. Norton said
> > :: they did not support IE8, so I used McAfee.
> > ::
> > :: Now IE8 is released, I installed it again and then installed the
> > :: latest Norton 360, v3.0. Everything else works fine, but then I
> > :: noticed that the delete problem has reappeared.
> > ::
> > :: Is there a way to repair Window Explorer without reinstalling
> > :: Windows? I have Vista Home Premium, always kept fully updated.
> >

> > Have you tried reversing your steps -
> >
> > How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >

> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> > or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> > Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Carpediem99

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
I Think that I have found a solution to this problem

1- Download : Shellexview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html)

2- Run shellexview and sort the entries on one of the last column, the
Microsoft one.

3- Dont touch to the Microsoft lines

4- Spot the powerdesk context menus line and disabled it.

Worked for me

The right click with Internet security 2009, ie8 and powerdesk was always
closing explorer.exe and nowit's work.

Carpediem

Engbert

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
Thank you for your reply. But since this happens in Windows Explorer (or
Computer) I doubt that PowerDesk is the problem.

Do you use pwerDesk 7?

Does your solution disable all context menus in Power Desk?

"Carpediem99" wrote:

> I Think that I have found a solution to this problem
>
> 1- Download : Shellexview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html)
>
> 2- Run shellexview and sort the entries on one of the last column, the
> Microsoft one.
>
> 3- Dont touch to the Microsoft lines
>
> 4- Spot the powerdesk context menus line and disabled it.
>
> Worked for me
>
> The right click with Internet security 2009, ie8 and powerdesk was always
> closing explorer.exe and nowit's work.
>

> Carpediem

Carpediem99

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
HI,

As english is not my native language, I had made my first message short.

Yes I use Powerdesk 7 (cannot live without it !) and the right click was not
working with windows explorer (every where with explorer, explorer,
workstation, etc), powerdesk and anything that the usage is to manipulate
files and directories. And the trouble has happened when I have added
Internet explorer 8. And yes, I use Norton Internet security 2009.

And Yes, the context menus in powerdesk continue to work even if I have put
something disabled.

I have asked in some others forums why they work but I have not received a
response.

I can only say, try it. You have nothing to lost. If it's not working,
shellexview will let you reverse any change you could have make.

Carpediem

"Engbert" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. But since this happens in Windows Explorer (or
> Computer) I doubt that PowerDesk is the problem.
>
> Do you use pwerDesk 7?
>
> Does your solution disable all context menus in Power Desk?
>

> "Carpediem99" wrote:
>
> > I Think that I have found a solution to this problem
> >
> > 1- Download : Shellexview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html)
> >
> > 2- Run shellexview and sort the entries on one of the last column, the
> > Microsoft one.
> >
> > 3- Dont touch to the Microsoft lines
> >
> > 4- Spot the powerdesk context menus line and disabled it.
> >
> > Worked for me
> >
> > The right click with Internet security 2009, ie8 and powerdesk was always
> > closing explorer.exe and nowit's work.
> >

> > Carpediem

Engbert

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
You are right. it worked. Thank you !!!
Bryan

"Carpediem99" wrote:

> HI,
>
> As english is not my native language, I had made my first message short.
>
> Yes I use Powerdesk 7 (cannot live without it !) and the right click was not
> working with windows explorer (every where with explorer, explorer,
> workstation, etc), powerdesk and anything that the usage is to manipulate
> files and directories. And the trouble has happened when I have added
> Internet explorer 8. And yes, I use Norton Internet security 2009.
>
> And Yes, the context menus in powerdesk continue to work even if I have put
> something disabled.
>
> I have asked in some others forums why they work but I have not received a
> response.
>
> I can only say, try it. You have nothing to lost. If it's not working,
> shellexview will let you reverse any change you could have make.
>

> Carpediem
>

> "Engbert" wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. But since this happens in Windows Explorer (or
> > Computer) I doubt that PowerDesk is the problem.
> >
> > Do you use pwerDesk 7?
> >
> > Does your solution disable all context menus in Power Desk?
> >

> > "Carpediem99" wrote:
> >
> > > I Think that I have found a solution to this problem
> > >
> > > 1- Download : Shellexview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html)
> > >
> > > 2- Run shellexview and sort the entries on one of the last column, the
> > > Microsoft one.
> > >
> > > 3- Dont touch to the Microsoft lines
> > >
> > > 4- Spot the powerdesk context menus line and disabled it.
> > >
> > > Worked for me
> > >
> > > The right click with Internet security 2009, ie8 and powerdesk was always
> > > closing explorer.exe and nowit's work.
> > >

> > > Carpediem

Carpediem99

Re: After ie8 and Norton 360, cannnot delete any files in Windows
Hi,

If you prefer an official solution, I have found this on the web site of
powerdesk

http://kb.avanquestusa.com/display/4...spx?tab=search

search for a line saying:

PowerDesk crashes when right-clicking on some files and folders.

Powerdesk really seem to be the reason of the problem.

Carpediem