IE 8 and XP SP3

titus12

IE 8 and XP SP3
I uninstalled IE 8. It was slowing down my other programs from getting
updates from the Internet. IE 8 does not work well with XP. It appears
that IE 8 is more better for Vista.

Max Burke

Re: IE 8 and XP SP3
titus12 wrote:
> I uninstalled IE 8. It was slowing down my other programs from getting
> updates from the Internet. IE 8 does not work well with XP. It appears
> that IE 8 is more better for Vista.

My experience so far. (It's NOT pretty and 6+ hours wasted)

A little background.
Running XP Pro SP3 on a 1.6Ghz Intel Pentium CPU, 1.3GB ram, with Avast
AV, Comodo Firewall, Spybot Tea timer, and Comodo Memory Firewall.

I have been running IE7 with the following add ons:
IE7 Pro,
http://www.ie7pro.com/

BID (Bulk Image Down loader)
http://antibody-software.com/

Orbit Download manager
http://www.orbitdownloader.com/

Plus Google Tool bar

Three weeks ago I installed/upgraded to IE8 RC1, the install went
perfectly and all my IE7 settings were imported without a hitch, and
with the above add ons.

The improvement IE8 RC1 made over IE7 was very good, everything was
faster and there were no problems with the upgrade...

This morning I downloaded and installed IE8 RTM.

The first thing I noticed it took a LOT longer to install (25+minutes)
than IE8 RC1 (10+ minutes)

Then at the end of the install it said it had installed successfully but
had not installed the updates it had downloaded and I should log to
Windows update to install them after my computer had rebooted.

I let the computer reboot. (normal boot time is 2 minutes to a usable
desktop with everything loaded and running)

Five minutes later the Desktop finally appears.
Five minutes after that every thing (AV, Firewall, etc) is loaded and
running (sort of)
Avast says it's resident protection is not running. Event viewer says
the Avast service failed to start.

I reboot again. Again it takes 10+ minutes to boot.
Avast is now running properly.

I click on the IE icon in the task bar.
Statbar immediately shows CPU usage jump to 100%
The mouse becomes sluggish
IE8 RTM still hasn't loaded after 5+ minutes.
I press CTRL ALT Delete to get task manager running.
IE8 RTM finally loads but it's a blank page, with a single tab saying
connecting....

The Address bar has my homepage url in it.

3-4 minutes later my home page finally loads and Task Manager finally
starts.
The Task manager running processes list show IE8 RTM is using 100% of CPU.

I try going to a few other websites on my favorites bar, they load
SLOWLY in the current tab; I try to start a new tab, the tab just shows
the connecting message again.I try to close the tab after 5 minutes.
Nothing happens. CPU still at 100%

I go to the Task manager and cancel IE8 RTM process. CPU still at 100%
and I notice that IE8 keeps showing up and disappearing as a running
process.

Ity finally disappears. CPU still at 100% with no indication in the
running process list what is using 100% CPU.

I decide to reboot the computer again.
I go through the same scenario above several more times with the same
end result.

I then decide to uninstall IE8 RTM, and roll back to IE7.

This goes OK, and once I'm up and running with IE7 everything is back to
normal.

I then re-install IE8 RTM (just in case the first install hadn't worked
properly.
Again I get all the problems above.

I uninstall IE8 RTM, roll back to IE7, then reinstall IE8 RC1.

The computer is now working as it should and IE8 RC1 is working perfectly.

Conclusion: IE8 RC1 should have been the IE8 RTM version.
And I will stay with IE8 RC1 until I see confirmation that IE8 RTM has
been fixed.

Question. Do/will/does IE8 RC1 have an expiry date? I cant find any
mention of one anywhere
Will

RE: IE 8 and XP SP3
spybot installed by chance??