Loses Connectivity

John M

Loses Connectivity
In a nut shell,

Running Vista Home Premium

I'll be on line pursuing some topic with multiple pages and multiple tabs
open. Doesn't HAVE to be a lot going on but often there is. When suddenly,
between one click and the next, IE won't open a new page or tab. The page
opens but IE acts as though I have no web connection. (I do have though. My
e-mail "send/receive" still functions and MSN Messenger is still on line and
functional).

Many times this IE loss of connectivity occurs while I'm away from the
computer with pages left open. If I've closed all IE pages it never happens.

When this happens, even after I close all iterations of IE, one will still
be showing in the task manager. It's usually holding about 17,000K of
memory, and will not close with the "End Process" button.

Further, at this point the only fix seems to be to shut down and reboot,
which has to be done by forcing a shutdown with the power button.

Leonard Grey

Re: Loses Connectivity
Same experience with add-ons disabled?

Possible your computer has malware?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

John M wrote:
> In a nut shell,
>
> Running Vista Home Premium
>
> I'll be on line pursuing some topic with multiple pages and multiple
> tabs open. Doesn't HAVE to be a lot going on but often there is. When
> suddenly, between one click and the next, IE won't open a new page or
> tab. The page opens but IE acts as though I have no web connection. (I
> do have though. My e-mail "send/receive" still functions and MSN
> Messenger is still on line and functional).
>
> Many times this IE loss of connectivity occurs while I'm away from the
> computer with pages left open. If I've closed all IE pages it never
> happens.
>
> When this happens, even after I close all iterations of IE, one will
> still be showing in the task manager. It's usually holding about 17,000K
> of memory, and will not close with the "End Process" button.
>
> Further, at this point the only fix seems to be to shut down and reboot,
> which has to be done by forcing a shutdown with the power button.

John M

Re: Loses Connectivity
Actually I havent tried it without add-ons. Because the fault is so
erratic, sometimes it won't occur for 6 or 8 hours, other times it happens
in 20 minutes, it would be almost impossible to track down one add-on at a
time. However, that aside, it probably wouldn't help anyway, BECAUSE, and
here's the clincher, I have the exact same problem running Firefox. So
apparently it isn't the browser, but some process supporting web browsing in
general. Like I said though, e-mail and Windows Live Messenger continue to
work.