IE8 read mail button

jtsr

IE8 read mail button
Is there something I'm overlooking my read mail button will not pull up
Outlook even though I've choosen it in the Internet Options. aahh!
VanguardLH

Re: IE8 read mail button
jtsr wrote:

> Is there something I'm overlooking my read mail button will not pull up
> Outlook even though I've choosen it in the Internet Options. aahh!

In Outlook, deselect its configuration option to make it the default
e-mail client. Exit Outlook. In Internet Options -> Programs tab, make
OE the default e-mail client. In OE, configure its option to make sure
it is the default e-mail client. Exit OE. Does the Read Mail button
still start Outlook or does it now start OE? I'm assuming OE is
actually in your OS as you never mentioned WHICH version of Windows that
you use. If Vista, replace OE with Windows Mail in the above procedure.
jtsr

Re: IE8 read mail button
Im using xpsp3 I change all the items but still the button doesn't open
anything
--
jtsr

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> jtsr wrote:
>
> > Is there something I'm overlooking my read mail button will not pull up
> > Outlook even though I've choosen it in the Internet Options. aahh!

> In Outlook, deselect its configuration option to make it the default
> e-mail client. Exit Outlook. In Internet Options -> Programs tab, make
> OE the default e-mail client. In OE, configure its option to make sure
> it is the default e-mail client. Exit OE. Does the Read Mail button
> still start Outlook or does it now start OE? I'm assuming OE is
> actually in your OS as you never mentioned WHICH version of Windows that
> you use. If Vista, replace OE with Windows Mail in the above procedure.

jtsr

Re: IE8 read mail button
The (send link by email button) opens Outlook to send email ???
--
jtsr

"jtsr" wrote:

> Im using xpsp3 I change all the items but still the button doesn't open
> anything
> --
> jtsr
>

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
> > jtsr wrote:
> >
> > > Is there something I'm overlooking my read mail button will not pull up
> > > Outlook even though I've choosen it in the Internet Options. aahh!

> > In Outlook, deselect its configuration option to make it the default
> > e-mail client. Exit Outlook. In Internet Options -> Programs tab, make
> > OE the default e-mail client. In OE, configure its option to make sure
> > it is the default e-mail client. Exit OE. Does the Read Mail button
> > still start Outlook or does it now start OE? I'm assuming OE is
> > actually in your OS as you never mentioned WHICH version of Windows that
> > you use. If Vista, replace OE with Windows Mail in the above procedure.

jtsr

Re: IE8 read mail button
OK! I've fixed this problem...go to start, right click, then click
properties, click cutomize, recheck email as outlook and ok .. it took two
times but it worked!!!!
--
jtsr

"jtsr" wrote:

> The (send link by email button) opens Outlook to send email ???
> --
> jtsr
>

> "jtsr" wrote:
>
> > Im using xpsp3 I change all the items but still the button doesn't open
> > anything
> > --
> > jtsr

> > > In Outlook, deselect its configuration option to make it the default
> > > e-mail client. Exit Outlook. In Internet Options -> Programs tab, make
> > > OE the default e-mail client. In OE, configure its option to make sure
> > > it is the default e-mail client. Exit OE. Does the Read Mail button
> > > still start Outlook or does it now start OE? I'm assuming OE is
> > > actually in your OS as you never mentioned WHICH version of Windows that
> > > you use. If Vista, replace OE with Windows Mail in the above procedure.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: IE8 read mail button
Fix: "Read Mail" button does not work in Internet Explorer - The
Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...rnet-explorer/

--
Regards,

jtsr wrote:

> OK! I've fixed this problem...go to start, right click, then click
> properties, click cutomize, recheck email as outlook and ok .. it took two
> times but it worked!!!!

Sorry, I don't use the fluffy Fisher-Price Start menu (first thing I
disable after a Windows XP install) so I don't see those property
options in the classic Start menu. Never thought about finding them
there.
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: IE8 read mail button
You don't have to use the XP Start menu, VanguardLH.
After setting the default mail client via Taskbar Properties, you may revert
back to the Classic Start menu.

--
Regards,

> jtsr wrote:
>
>> OK! I've fixed this problem...go to start, right click, then click
>> properties, click cutomize, recheck email as outlook and ok .. it took
>> two
>> times but it worked!!!!

> Sorry, I don't use the fluffy Fisher-Price Start menu (first thing I
> disable after a Windows XP install) so I don't see those property
> options in the classic Start menu. Never thought about finding them
> there.

jtsr

Re: IE8 read mail button
thanks for the support!!
--
jtsr

"Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Fix: "Read Mail" button does not work in Internet Explorer - The
> Winhelponline Blog:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...rnet-explorer/
>
> --
> Regards,

> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "jtsr" <jtsr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there something I'm overlooking my read mail button will not pull up
> > Outlook even though I've choosen it in the Internet Options. aahh!

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 read mail button
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP wrote:

> You don't have to use the XP Start menu, VanguardLH.
> After setting the default mail client via Taskbar Properties, you may revert
> back to the Classic Start menu.

But I have to wonder if the suggestion that you select OE even if it is
selected (to ensure it really is selected) merely changes the same mail
registry settings as does the Internet Options -> Programs -> E-mail
setting does. I suspect the OP saw OE was already selected there but
didn't RE-select it. In fact, sometimes you have to toggle away from a
setting and toggle back (so the object sees a *change* in state) to
ensure a setting got changed to the final yet original value.

As a test, in a virtual machine, I installed Thunderbird (so I had a
choice of e-mail clients, not just OE). I then installed InstallWatch
so I could monitor what changes on my host when I make config changes or
install programs. Testing showed:

Internet Options -> Programs -> E-mail program
Action: Change from OE to Thunderbird
Result: HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail
Both changed from OE to Tbird

Changed back to OE as e-mail client.

Start Menu properties -> Start Menu tab -> Start menu radio box
Action: Change e-mail client from OE to Tbird
Result: HKCU\Software\Classes\mailto
HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail
Set to Tbird

So the Internet Options choice is a global change across all users since
it is an HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM) change that applies to all accounts.
The Start Menu change was only for the current account because it
changed HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU).

I never realized before that changing Internet Options settings was also
banging the other accounts to match those changes. So I checked what
got changed when the user changed a config setting in Tbird to make it
the default e-mail client (when OE was currently the default e-mail
client).

Tbird -> Tools -> Options -> General
Action: Click the "Check Now" button (to make Tbird the default)
Result: HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail
Changed to Tbird

Then I went into OE and made it check it was the default:

OE -> Tools -> Options -> General
Action: Click "Make Default" button (for e-mail handler)
Result: HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail
Changed to OE

So the config settings in the e-mail clients to make them the default
e-mail client affect the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings. Since HKCU (user)
settings override the HKLM (local machine) settings, whatever the Start
Menu's e-mail client is set to will override what is specified in
Internet Options or within the e-mail clients. Interesting but stupid.
Changes in Internet Options or the e-mail clients should really only
affect the user's account under which those settings were changed.