Turning of prompt to download Windows search

Laimonas

Turning of prompt to download Windows search
Hello,
is there any way to turn of proposal to download Windows search when
entering www address? It is so annoying, I would better return to IE 7, if
there is no such possibility.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Turning of prompt to download Windows search

"Laimonas" <Laimonas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA7C3754-8DFC-471C-B21C-81D7D43A5AD9@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> is there any way to turn of proposal to download Windows search when
> entering www address? It is so annoying, I would better return to IE 7, if
> there is no such possibility.

Uncheck in AutoComplete for Address bar:
Use Windows Search for better results
(in Options, Content tab, AutoComplete Settings dialog)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Laimonas

Re: Turning of prompt to download Windows search
If unchecking, browsing history disappears

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Laimonas" <Laimonas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA7C3754-8DFC-471C-B21C-81D7D43A5AD9@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> > is there any way to turn of proposal to download Windows search when
> > entering www address? It is so annoying, I would better return to IE 7, if
> > there is no such possibility.

> Uncheck in AutoComplete for Address bar:
> Use Windows Search for better results
> (in Options, Content tab, AutoComplete Settings dialog)
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

VanguardLH

Laimonas wrote:

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>>
>> Laimonas wrote ...
>>>
>>> is there any way to turn of proposal to download Windows search
>>> when entering www address?

>> Uncheck in AutoComplete for Address bar:

> If unchecking, browsing history disappears

True. You either get AutoComplete (with the nag to download their file
indexing software if you don't already have it) or you disable the
AutoComplete feature (to get rid of the nag). Microsoft wants to
promote their search tool through their web browser. For me, I disable
AutoComplete. If I need to see my history, I click on the Favorites
toolbar button and look under the History tab.
Laimonas

Re: Turning of prompt to download Windows search
Returned to IE 7. Windows search is good for a computer having more than 1 GB
RAM, but a disaster for mine with 512 MB and Windows XP. Everything almost
freezes. Search results for Outlook Express are very poor.
Will wait for a some time - maybe MS will give an opportunity to turn off
this function. If not, will be forced to choose Firefox until buying new PC.
Overall, IE8 looks good except two things - this thrusted Windows search and
pale characters in the address bar.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Laimonas wrote:
>
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >>
> >> Laimonas wrote ...

> >> Uncheck in AutoComplete for Address bar:

> > If unchecking, browsing history disappears

> True. You either get AutoComplete (with the nag to download their file
> indexing software if you don't already have it) or you disable the
> AutoComplete feature (to get rid of the nag). Microsoft wants to
> promote their search tool through their web browser. For me, I disable
> AutoComplete. If I need to see my history, I click on the Favorites
> toolbar button and look under the History tab.

Donald Anadell

> Laimonas wrote:
>
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>>>
>>> Laimonas wrote ...

>>> Uncheck in AutoComplete for Address bar:

>> If unchecking, browsing history disappears

> True. You either get AutoComplete (with the nag to download their file
> indexing software if you don't already have it) or you disable the
> AutoComplete feature (to get rid of the nag).

Or, you can use a Registry Tweak to get rid of it.

HOWTO:
Disable "Download Windows Search" advertising in IE8 address bar.
Open up a Command Window or RUN dialog and run this command.

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ
/d 99 /f

Good luck,

Donald Anadell