IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?

mike

IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
why is it not supported on thier own OS? this makes no sense. how can i
install it on basic?

Gordon

Re: IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
"mike" <michael@com.net> wrote in message
> why is it not supported on thier own OS? this makes no sense. how can i
> install it on basic?

So why can't you?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

VanguardLH

mike wrote:

> why is it not supported on thier own OS? this makes no sense. how can i
> install it on basic?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

Says IE8 is support on Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. It does not
differentiate between editions within a family. So it should be
supported.

- No mention of why you believe IE8 "is not supported" on Vista Basic.
- No mention of what happens when you try to install IE8.

And you want detailed help based on that dearth of information? Also,
IE8 was *just* released. You might find folks with longer histories of
experience with IE8 over in the beta newsgroup (which still exists) at:

A much better solution is to use a newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, Forte Agent, 40tude Dialog, XanaNews, Xnews). If you do
not have or do not want to use your own NNTP (Network News Transfer
Protocol) server, connect your newsreader to:

msnews.microsoft.com

Then go visit the Internet Explorer *BETA* group at:

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

However, they will still need more details than you provided here.
mike

Re: IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
Since you Gave the most details on your reply. i will explain why i say it
is not supported.

you pointed out the following in your reply:

- No mention of why you believe IE8 "is not supported" on Vista Basic.
- No mention of what happens when you try to install IE8.

so here is the Exact reason i say this:

Yesterday I was on slashdot. where it was mentioned thaT ie 8 was now better
than firefox. So wanting to evaluate this . i went to the official microsoft
web site. and Downloaded the new IE 8 once it was downloaded. I double
clicked it, and it unpacked the file and started the install proccess. then
it stops after the compatibility check. and comes up with a message stating
"This operating system is not supported. and when you click the X it
terminates the install. Thinking it might be a rights issue. i right click
on the install file i downloaded and selected run as administrator. and
again it comes out with the not supported message.

thinking maybe i downloaded the wrong version i went back to the microsoft
web site and looked to the right information so i can ensure i am
downloading the correct version. in the requirements it shows Vista is
supported. so i deleted the download and redownloaded it. only to have it
say the same not supported message. I then checked my updates to ensure i
have all the latest updates. and im on SP1 of Vista. but still it says basic
is unsupported. I installed it on Vusta premium and it installed fine. but
not on basic.

THUS the reson im asking why it is not supported on Vista Basic.
> mike wrote:
>
>> why is it not supported on thier own OS? this makes no sense. how can i
>> install it on basic?

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>
> Says IE8 is support on Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. It does not
> differentiate between editions within a family. So it should be
> supported.
>
> - No mention of why you believe IE8 "is not supported" on Vista Basic.
> - No mention of what happens when you try to install IE8.
>
> And you want detailed help based on that dearth of information? Also,
> IE8 was *just* released. You might find folks with longer histories of
> experience with IE8 over in the beta newsgroup (which still exists) at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>
> A much better solution is to use a newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express,
> Thunderbird, Forte Agent, 40tude Dialog, XanaNews, Xnews). If you do
> not have or do not want to use your own NNTP (Network News Transfer
> Protocol) server, connect your newsreader to:
>
> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> Then go visit the Internet Explorer *BETA* group at:
>
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>
> However, they will still need more details than you provided here.

mike

Re: IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
I found the problem:

I have Business plan pro. and it interferes with the IE setup application
for some reason while the update program is rinning in idle mode it causes
IE8 to report this false not supported error. I disabled it on start up and
rebooted. IE then started without any issues.

> [...]

>> - No mention of why you believe IE8 "is not supported" on Vista Basic.
>> - No mention of what happens when you try to install IE8.
>>
>> And you want detailed help based on that dearth of information? Also,
>> IE8 was *just* released. You might find folks with longer histories of
>> experience with IE8 over in the beta newsgroup (which still exists) at:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>>
>> A much better solution is to use a newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express,
>> Thunderbird, Forte Agent, 40tude Dialog, XanaNews, Xnews). If you do
>> not have or do not want to use your own NNTP (Network News Transfer
>> Protocol) server, connect your newsreader to:
>>
>> msnews.microsoft.com
>>
>> Then go visit the Internet Explorer *BETA* group at:
>>
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>>
>> However, they will still need more details than you provided here.

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
Hi Mike,

Are you using the x32 or x64 version of Vista Basic? The x64 version will
not install on a x32 OS.

Regards.

mike wrote:

> I found the problem:
>
> I have Business plan pro. and it interferes with the IE setup application
> for some reason while the update program is rinning in idle mode it causes
> IE8 to report this false not supported error. I disabled it on start up and
> rebooted. IE then started without any issues.

So Business Plan Pro must leave some background program or service
running all the time. Typically when installing service packs, security
software (anti-virus, anti-malware, HIPS, firewalls, etc.), or even a
major application, I go through the icons in the system tray and exit
those apps and then go through Task Manager's Processes tab to see what
else should be stopped (using the services.msc applet, an option in the
program, or by killing the process). I'll disable the anti-virus
program (but not the firewall) and any HIPS (host intrusion protection)
security program (to eliminate all the popups asking if I want all the
apps to run or if they can call other apps or DLL methods). Then I do
the install. In your case, if the problem continued, I would've next
tried temporarily disabling UAC and then, if that didn't work, try
Windows' Safe Mode.

But you found the culprit. Good work. Sometimes it is the security
software or features that get in the way. In your case, it was a rude
app. I don't have a lot of experience with a myriad of business
applications. Some of those that I had to give help were actually a
hodgepodge mess of multiple modules that were badly interconnected.
VanguardLH

rob^_^ wrote:

> Are you using the x32 or x64 version of Vista Basic? The x64 version will
> not install on a x32 OS.

From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx,
the popup that appears tests your OS to offer you the download
appropriate for it. They don't have a list of installer files from
which the user can select. So if, for example, you are on Windows XP
x64 when you visit the site then they probably offer the installer for
x64, but you moving it to an x86 host would fail because that's a 32-bit
version of Windows. Mike never mentioned doing any of that so the
assumption is that he opened the web browser on the host where he
intended to update to IE8.

On the "Download Now" button on IE8's home page, there is a "Click here
for other locales and versions" link. The page that follows is where
the user has to be careful to pick the correct installer version.

Don't know how Mike navigated to the download for IE8 since he never
mentioned it. Looks like he fixed the problem, anyway: a conflict with
a program that was left running in the background (Business Plan Pro).

Re: IE 8 not Supported on Vista basic?
IE8 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

The above page seems to disagree with you, Mike.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/