IE8 Error on startup (Corrupted Search Provider)

Brad

IE8 Error on startup (Corrupted Search Provider)
After installing IE8 on 3 computers, there is one that wants to be stubborn.

After launching IE8, it will display the error message as follows:
"A program on your computer has corrupted your local search provider".

I've searched on Google and some sites said to delete a few registry keys.
This didn't work. Tried disabling Internet Security suite incase it was
blocking something. Issue still is there.

I even used filemon.exe to see all the files that it accesses before,
during, and after the error. I've investigated them all to no avail.

Any ideas on this one?
rob^_^

Re: IE8 Error on startup (Corrupted Search Provider)
Hi Brad,

"A program on your computer has corrupted your local search provider".

Sounds like the FunWebProducts search provider hijack.(Cursor Mania, Smiley
Central toolbars). These addons will display a yellow message box on the
bottom rhs, even though addons have been disabled.

You can either choose to ignore the message (it does nothing anyway.... it
is just meant to trick you into changing your default Search Provider to
theirs) or uninstall either of the above addons if they are installed.

Regards.

"Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing IE8 on 3 computers, there is one that wants to be
> stubborn.
>
> After launching IE8, it will display the error message as follows:
> "A program on your computer has corrupted your local search provider".
>
> I've searched on Google and some sites said to delete a few registry keys.
> This didn't work. Tried disabling Internet Security suite incase it was
> blocking something. Issue still is there.
>
> I even used filemon.exe to see all the files that it accesses before,
> during, and after the error. I've investigated them all to no avail.
>
> Any ideas on this one?

Brad

Re: IE8 Error on startup (Corrupted Search Provider)
These add-ons are not present. The computers that are in my place are not
infected with any crap-ware.

This is an actual message presented by IE8. When you click on "OK" (which
you are forced to), it opens up the Search Providers area.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> "A program on your computer has corrupted your local search provider".
>
> Sounds like the FunWebProducts search provider hijack.(Cursor Mania, Smiley
> Central toolbars). These addons will display a yellow message box on the
> bottom rhs, even though addons have been disabled.
>
> You can either choose to ignore the message (it does nothing anyway.... it
> is just meant to trick you into changing your default Search Provider to
> theirs) or uninstall either of the above addons if they are installed.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After installing IE8 on 3 computers, there is one that wants to be
> > stubborn.
> >
> > After launching IE8, it will display the error message as follows:
> > "A program on your computer has corrupted your local search provider".
> >
> > I've searched on Google and some sites said to delete a few registry keys.
> > This didn't work. Tried disabling Internet Security suite incase it was
> > blocking something. Issue still is there.
> >
> > I even used filemon.exe to see all the files that it accesses before,
> > during, and after the error. I've investigated them all to no avail.
> >
> > Any ideas on this one?

Not Happy Jan!

Re: IE8 Error on startup (Corrupted Search Provider)
As usual Microsoft are in denial and will not admit there is a problem.
MS, stop arguing with the customer and FIX the problem!