Internet Explorer 8 Smart Screen Filter

Gus

Internet Explorer 8 Smart Screen Filter
Hi, What is the difference between smart screen filter and
McAfee Site Advisor?...Thanks
rob^_^

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Smart Screen Filter
Hi Gus,

Site Advisor relies on public reviews of web sites, Smart Screen users
real-time listings of know phishing or malware sites which is maintained by
Security spe******ts.

Criminals will quickly change the address of their phishing sites to avoid
detection so it is important that the listings are updated asap.

Regards.

"Gus" <Gus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, What is the difference between smart screen filter and
> McAfee Site Advisor?...Thanks

VanguardLH

rob^_^ wrote:

> Gus wrote ...
>>
>> Hi, What is the difference between smart screen filter and
>> McAfee Site Advisor?...Thanks

> Site Advisor relies on public reviews of web sites, Smart Screen users
> real-time listings of know phishing or malware sites which is maintained by
> Security spe******ts.
>
> Criminals will quickly change the address of their phishing sites to avoid
> detection so it is important that the listings are updated asap.

Actually Site Advisor uses a web crawler to interrogate web pages
looking for malicious content, dynamically obfuscated code, and links to
other bad sites. I don't how the spam detection works since it would
mean subscribing to the site. It takes a LOT of user votes to change a
site's rating from what the McAfee algorithms decided but it can be
done. Just be sure to give a lot of leeway to the user votes and their
comments as some haven't a clue what they're talking about, make
mistakes, or don't like that the site wasn't really free for its content
(i.e., like children, they think everyone is their parents and they
should get everything free). You'll see a lot of voting with no
comments. Of those with comments, well, they obviously aren't the most
intelligent voters. That's probably why it takes many votes to get
McAfee's rating changed.

Considering that the vast majority of sites that I visit had a yellow
light (meaning that SiteAdvisor had no rating for them) and considering
the army of boobs that are voting on the veracity of a site, I gave up
on SiteAdvisor (and on WOT, too). Boobs that vote a site as bad because
they don't like the content aren't helping with the ratings. Boobs that
complain a web site's experts charge for their help when that same info
can be found elsewhere for free has no bearing on the rating of the web
site. They rate a site as spammy just because they got some unwanted
e-mails from there but haven't a clue what is the definition of spam.

So if you get a lot of boobs pushing on a giant ball, will it really
roll in the right direction?
VanguardLH

Gus wrote:

> Hi, What is the difference between smart screen filter and
> McAfee Site Advisor?...Thanks

Remember what IE7 called its Phishing Filter?
New name, same functionality.

If you had the Phishing Filter on before, you'll want SmartScreen on
now. And visa versa.

Read:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...en-filter.aspx