Cannot Install IE8

DrGaryG

Cannot Install IE8
In trying to install IE8 I get the message, "IE8 is not supported on this
operating system." I am running Windows XP Home. Can someone help?

Paul Smith

Re: Cannot Install IE8
"DrGaryG" <DrGaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In trying to install IE8 I get the message, "IE8 is not supported on this
> operating system." I am running Windows XP Home. Can someone help?

Hello.

IE8 requires Windows XP SP2 or higher. You can grab Service Pack 2 (or 3
which is the latest) from Windows Update.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

DrGaryG

Re: Cannot Install IE8
Thanks. I am unable to install Sp2 so they are sending me a CD to do this. I
hope that will fix it. When I try to install SP2 from the laptop it quits
halfway through and fouls up my computer.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "DrGaryG" <DrGaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In trying to install IE8 I get the message, "IE8 is not supported on this
> > operating system." I am running Windows XP Home. Can someone help?
> >

> Hello.
>
> IE8 requires Windows XP SP2 or higher. You can grab Service Pack 2 (or 3
> which is the latest) from Windows Update.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/

Re: Cannot Install IE8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DrGaryG wrote:
> Thanks. I am unable to install Sp2 so they are sending me a CD to do this.
> hope that will fix it. When I try to install SP2 from the laptop it quits
> halfway through and fouls up my computer.
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
>> "DrGaryG" <DrGaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> In trying to install IE8 I get the message, "IE8 is not supported on
>>> this
>>> operating system." I am running Windows XP Home. Can someone help?
>>>

>> Hello.
>>
>> IE8 requires Windows XP SP2 or higher. You can grab Service Pack 2 (or 3
>> which is the latest) from Windows Update.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
>> http://www.dasmirnov.net/

DrGaryG

Re: Cannot Install IE8
Can I add SP3 without 2? When I try to install SP my computer quits halfway
and screws the system up. I have to run system restore to fix it.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "DrGaryG" <DrGaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In trying to install IE8 I get the message, "IE8 is not supported on this
> > operating system." I am running Windows XP Home. Can someone help?
> >

> Hello.
>
> IE8 requires Windows XP SP2 or higher. You can grab Service Pack 2 (or 3
> which is the latest) from Windows Update.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/

Re: Cannot Install IE8
If SP2 won't install, there's a very good chance SP3 won't either.

Honestly, your best bet is to back-up your personal data and then format &
do a clean install (not a Repair Install) of Windows.

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
[clean install = new computer]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

If you end up with WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) after the clean install,
see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

If you end up with WinXP SP1, see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8a7b6fdad6cbb5

I would NOT recommend installing IE7 or IE8 via Windows Update!