Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place

Dworsky

Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
following problem:

Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results on a
single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a link. After
viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it takes me back
to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to the spot I was at, but
rather to the top of the page. I have to start going down the list again to
find the place where I left off.

Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has been a
feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could MSFT not do that
with IE8?

Thanks,

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Daniel Crichton

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
Dworsky wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:25:01 -0700:

> I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
> following problem:

> Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results on a
> single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a link.
> After viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it
> takes me back to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to the
> spot I was at, but rather to the top of the page. I have to start
> going down the list again to find the place where I left off.

> Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has been
> a feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could MSFT not
> do that with IE8?

> Thanks,

Do you have any add-ons installed? Just tried it here on IE8 on XP SP3 and
clicking back to a Google search kept me where I'd scrolled down to.

--
Dan

Dworsky

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
Dan,

I was using IE8 in XP w/SP3. The add-ons that were carried over from IE7 are:

Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper
ATI TV
Diagnose Connection Problems
HelperObject Class
Launch WinHTTrack
Microsoft Silverlight
PDFmachine
Realplayer download and record plugin
shockwave flash object
snagit
Spybot search & destroy config
ssvhelper class
sun java console
windows media player
windows messenger
xml dom document.
Yahoo messenger

Edgar

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> Dworsky wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:25:01 -0700:
>
> > I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
> > following problem:

> > Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results on a
> > single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a link.
> > After viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it
> > takes me back to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to the
> > spot I was at, but rather to the top of the page. I have to start
> > going down the list again to find the place where I left off.

> > Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has been
> > a feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could MSFT not
> > do that with IE8?

> > Thanks,

> Do you have any add-ons installed? Just tried it here on IE8 on XP SP3 and
> clicking back to a Google search kept me where I'd scrolled down to.
>
> --
> Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
What happens if you run in no add-ons mode? Do you still see the same issue?
If not then one of the add-ons is causing the problem, enable each in turn
and test until you find out which one it is.

Do you have caching disabled? Are you running IE8 with InPrivate browsing?
It's possible that if the page isn't being cached locally it would have to
request it again and it's treated as a new page request.

Dan

Dworsky wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:51:02 -0700:

> Dan,

> I was using IE8 in XP w/SP3. The add-ons that were carried over from
> IE7 are:

> Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper
> ATI TV
> Diagnose Connection Problems
> HelperObject Class
> Launch WinHTTrack
> Microsoft Silverlight
> PDFmachine
> Realplayer download and record plugin shockwave flash object snagit
> Spybot search & destroy config ssvhelper class sun java console windows
> media player windows messenger xml dom document.
> Yahoo messenger

> Edgar

> "Daniel Crichton" wrote:

>> Dworsky wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:25:01 -0700:

>>> I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
>>> following problem:

>>> Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results
>>> on a single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a
>>> link.
>>> After viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it
>>> takes me back to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to
>>> the spot I was at, but rather to the top of the page. I have to
>>> start going down the list again to find the place where I left off.

>>> Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has
>>> been a feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could
>>> MSFT not do that with IE8?

>>> Thanks,

>> Do you have any add-ons installed? Just tried it here on IE8 on XP
>> SP3 and clicking back to a Google search kept me where I'd scrolled
>> down to.

>> --
>> Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

"Dworsky" <Dworsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E80E0941-6858-4707-8A7B-4641496A33F9@microsoft.com...
>I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
> following problem:
>
> Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results on a
> single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a link. After
> viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it takes me back
> to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to the spot I was at, but
> rather to the top of the page. I have to start going down the list again to
> find the place where I left off.
>

> Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has been a
> feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could MSFT not do that
> with IE8?

That wouldn't be a change in IE8 in any case.
If you want to ensure that you don't lose position in
a page that you know you want to go back to
open the link in a new tab or window and then close
that tab or window to go back to the (unchanged,
unless auto-refresh occurred in the background)
launching page. BTW both Google and Live Search
provide for this method of using results links in their
respective user profiles (as saved by their cookies)
so you don't even need to do something explicit
to open a new tab or window as you use their results links.

> Thanks,

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Mattie A

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
I couldn't agree more strongly with Dworsky. IE8 is a pain in the butt
because of this. It doesn't have anything to do with add-ons, because I
bought a new computer and it is doing what Dworsky describes.

And, to make your users open new windows or tabs every time rather than use
the Back button, just means that IE8 is not as user-friendly, nor apparently,
is it trying to be user-friendly if the solution is: "deal with it, open new
windows" as opposed to just going back to the way it was before, which was
much more user-friendly.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Dworsky" <Dworsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E80E0941-6858-4707-8A7B-4641496A33F9@microsoft.com...
> >I installed IE8 yesterday, and immediately removed it because of the
> > following problem:
> >
> > Let's say you search Google or Yahoo and get a list of 100 results on a
> > single page. Half way down the list long list, I click on a link. After
> > viewing that site, I click the back arrow in IE8 and while it takes me back
> > to the 100 result list, it does NOT bring me back to the spot I was at, but
> > rather to the top of the page. I have to start going down the list again to
> > find the place where I left off.
> >

> > Going back to the exact spot you were looking at on a webpage has been a
> > feature of all browsers for years. How in the world could MSFT not do that
> > with IE8?

> That wouldn't be a change in IE8 in any case.
> If you want to ensure that you don't lose position in
> a page that you know you want to go back to
> open the link in a new tab or window and then close
> that tab or window to go back to the (unchanged,
> unless auto-refresh occurred in the background)
> launching page. BTW both Google and Live Search
> provide for this method of using results links in their
> respective user profiles (as saved by their cookies)
> so you don't even need to do something explicit
> to open a new tab or window as you use their results links.
>

> > Thanks,

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

VanguardLH

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
Mattie A relied to an old thread:

Google Groups copy of old thread: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaweobm

Mattie, you are agreeing with a "me too" post to a thread that is over
9 months old!

> I couldn't agree more strongly with Dworsky. IE8 is a pain in the butt
> because of this.

"This" is the Back button not taking you to the prior web page at the
position to where you were scrolled before leaving that page.

> It doesn't have anything to do with add-ons,

No, but it does have to do with which site you visit but never mentioned.
Any site can force a document [re]paint to start wherever they like. For
example, they may force a reload of the page. How do you know the site
isn't itself using code to force a new load of the document or moving you to
its top?

As an example, I go to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.0.
Scroll down a couple pages. Now enter www.intel.com in the address bar.
After opening the Intel web page, hit the Back button (you may have to twice
hit the Back button). Where are you? You are back to the avast forum page
AND down to where you scrolled.

When I do a Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=intel) and scroll
to the bottom, enter intel.com in the address bar, click the Back button
(twice because of how Intel navigates to a 2nd page), I'm still at the
bottom of Google's search page.

So with what web page are you having difficulties?
mikel13

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
Look at this list:
http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tivarsaunder20

scroll down the list, open up and item and then arrow back....IE 8 takes you
back to the top of the page rather than where you were.

Try the same thing with the latest Firefox or Safari....no problem.

This is a Microsoft problem and it is new.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Mattie A relied to an old thread:
>
> Google Groups copy of old thread: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaweobm
>
> Mattie, you are agreeing with a "me too" post to a thread that is over
> 9 months old!
>
> > I couldn't agree more strongly with Dworsky. IE8 is a pain in the butt
> > because of this.

> "This" is the Back button not taking you to the prior web page at the
> position to where you were scrolled before leaving that page.
>
> > It doesn't have anything to do with add-ons,

> No, but it does have to do with which site you visit but never mentioned.
> Any site can force a document [re]paint to start wherever they like. For
> example, they may force a reload of the page. How do you know the site
> isn't itself using code to force a new load of the document or moving you to
> its top?
>
> As an example, I go to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.0.
> Scroll down a couple pages. Now enter www.intel.com in the address bar.
> After opening the Intel web page, hit the Back button (you may have to twice
> hit the Back button). Where are you? You are back to the avast forum page
> AND down to where you scrolled.
>
> When I do a Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=intel) and scroll
> to the bottom, enter intel.com in the address bar, click the Back button
> (twice because of how Intel navigates to a 2nd page), I'm still at the
> bottom of Google's search page.
>
> So with what web page are you having difficulties?
> .

mikel13

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
While there are web pages that work OK, for what ever reason, the back arrow
definitely does not work properly on some pages...and this is definitely
new. And the new Firefox an Safari browsers do not have this problem. This is
a microsoft NEW problem.

Look at this list......

scrolll down, open aup the auction and arrow back:
Try doing the same thing with Firefox or Safari....

Big difference.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Mattie A relied to an old thread:
>
> Google Groups copy of old thread: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaweobm
>
> Mattie, you are agreeing with a "me too" post to a thread that is over
> 9 months old!
>
> > I couldn't agree more strongly with Dworsky. IE8 is a pain in the butt
> > because of this.

> "This" is the Back button not taking you to the prior web page at the
> position to where you were scrolled before leaving that page.
>
> > It doesn't have anything to do with add-ons,

> No, but it does have to do with which site you visit but never mentioned.
> Any site can force a document [re]paint to start wherever they like. For
> example, they may force a reload of the page. How do you know the site
> isn't itself using code to force a new load of the document or moving you to
> its top?
>
> As an example, I go to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.0.
> Scroll down a couple pages. Now enter www.intel.com in the address bar.
> After opening the Intel web page, hit the Back button (you may have to twice
> hit the Back button). Where are you? You are back to the avast forum page
> AND down to where you scrolled.
>
> When I do a Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=intel) and scroll
> to the bottom, enter intel.com in the address bar, click the Back button
> (twice because of how Intel navigates to a 2nd page), I'm still at the
> bottom of Google's search page.
>
> So with what web page are you having difficulties?
> .

rob^_^

Re: Back Arrow Doesn't Return to Right Place
Hi,

They are refreshing from the server.

Regards.