Internet Explorer 8 "cannot display..."

The bard

Internet Explorer 8 "cannot display..."
I have just installed IE8. Every time I try to use it, I get the message
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I ran the diagnostics which
found no problem. At the second attempt it works ok. I have Windows XP SP3
and use Google as default.
Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explorer 8 "cannot display..."
Hi,

1. IE8 will appear to be a new program to a firewall. Do you need to change
firewall settings to allow IE to access the internet?

2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"The bard" <Thebard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just installed IE8. Every time I try to use it, I get the message
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I ran the diagnostics

which
> found no problem. At the second attempt it works ok. I have Windows XP SP3
> and use Google as default.

The bard

"The bard" wrote:

> I have just installed IE8. Every time I try to use it, I get the message
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I ran the diagnostics which
> found no problem. At the second attempt it works ok. I have Windows XP SP3
> and use Google as default.

Nothing works! If I click on 'refresh' it works ok and goes to Google, my
default.
Jenks318

RE: Internet Explorer 8 "cannot display..."
I have experienced the same intermittent problem with IE8 on Vista Home.
Followed all of Don's suggestions with no improvement. I find that I
frequently have to refresh a page to get it to load. Sometimes, the refresh
button will not do it and I will have to put the cursor on the address, click
and hit enter. The page will then load. I will be posting another problem
with IE stopped working notice where IE tries to recover the tab, but cannot
do so. It begins a loop of the stop working message and recovered tab
message until I use task manager to stop IE. Add on removal does not make a
difference. I noticed this accompanied a slow down of IE8. Resetting it to
default sped it up but did not help the stopped working problem. I wrote all
of this to see if The Bard is having this problem in conjuction with the
cannot display notice.

"The bard" wrote:

> "The bard" wrote:
>
> > I have just installed IE8. Every time I try to use it, I get the message
> > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I ran the diagnostics which
> > found no problem. At the second attempt it works ok. I have Windows XP SP3
> > and use Google as default.

> Nothing works! If I click on 'refresh' it works ok and goes to Google, my
> default.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Jenks318" <Jenks318@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B87769F0-7FF3-4AA6-BCD4-9E1E4FD136EE@microsoft.com...
>I have experienced the same intermittent problem with IE8 on Vista Home.
> Followed all of Don's suggestions with no improvement. I find that I
> frequently have to refresh a page to get it to load. Sometimes, the refresh
> button will not do it and I will have to put the cursor on the address, click
> and hit enter. The page will then load.

> I will be posting another problem with IE stopped working
> notice where IE tries to recover the tab, but cannot do so.
> It begins a loop of the stop working message and recovered tab
> message until I use task manager to stop IE.

That's a new feature of IE8. You can disable it from Options, Advanced tab:
_Uncheck_ Enable automatic crash recovery*
*Takes effect after you restart Internet Explorer
(e.g. the next time you start a new instance of iexplore.exe)

> Add on removal does not make a
> difference. I noticed this accompanied a slow down of IE8. Resetting it to
> default sped it up but did not help the stopped working problem. I wrote all
> of this to see if The Bard is having this problem in conjuction with the
> cannot display notice.

OP's symptom is a connectivity issue. Yours is something else.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---