Does this fix the problem?

curious about stability

Does this fix the problem?
I just want to know one thing before I download and install this...

Is it better than 7? Cause I have to tell you, I haven't been happy at all
with 7 since I was forced onto a Vista laptop. It hangs, it freezes, it won't
shut down even in task manager. But I can't say I'm too thrilled with Vista
for that matter. IE7 worked fine on my old 2k pro machine. However I'd rather
stick with the demon I know than trade for a devil I never expected. If you
get my drift.

I hope the gazzilion updates they've put on my machine are finally making
the OS more stable. Just in time for a whole new Windows! Yeah!
Leonard Grey

Re: Does this fix the problem?
We're supposed to guess that "this" refers to IE 8?

"Better" is a very individual thing. Only you can decide if IE 8 is
"better" for you.

Nobody's forcing you to use Internet Explorer. If you don't like it, try
a different browser until you find one that you do like. This is one of
the things I love about a democracy.

But what's your rush? It's almost inevitable that a major operating
system upgrade (like IE 8) is going to run into some glitches in the
beginning. It's smarter to wait a month or more before installing a
major upgrade until the birth pains are over.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

curious about stability wrote:
> I just want to know one thing before I download and install this...
>
> Is it better than 7? Cause I have to tell you, I haven't been happy at all
> with 7 since I was forced onto a Vista laptop. It hangs, it freezes, it won't
> shut down even in task manager. But I can't say I'm too thrilled with Vista
> for that matter. IE7 worked fine on my old 2k pro machine. However I'd rather
> stick with the demon I know than trade for a devil I never expected. If you
> get my drift.
>
> I hope the gazzilion updates they've put on my machine are finally making
> the OS more stable. Just in time for a whole new Windows! Yeah!

Re: Does this fix the problem?
Upgrading in hopes of fixing an existing problem is seldom a good idea.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

curious about stability wrote:
> I just want to know one thing before I download and install this...
>
> Is it better than 7? Cause I have to tell you, I haven't been happy at all
> with 7 since I was forced onto a Vista laptop. It hangs, it freezes, it
> won't shut down even in task manager. But I can't say I'm too thrilled
> with
> Vista for that matter. IE7 worked fine on my old 2k pro machine. However
> I'd rather stick with the demon I know than trade for a devil I never
> expected. If you get my drift.
>
> I hope the gazzilion updates they've put on my machine are finally making
> the OS more stable. Just in time for a whole new Windows! Yeah!

Don Varnau

Re: Does this fix the problem?
Hi,
Quote:
It hangs, it freezes, it won't shut down
Most users do not have these issues with *any* version of Internet Explorer.
Some possible solutions:
- - -
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us
- - -
2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
- - -
3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
- - -
4. You may have one or more malware programs installed and running.
Work through these steps:
1. Scan with Windows Defender.

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer: