Re: Microsoft IE 8 question

[Crosspost to IE General]

IE8 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before
installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.

Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any)
is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.

environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Debbie Graham wrote:
> Well I think I got a bug, just tried to download it and it tells me it
> doesn't support my operating system. I'm using XP home

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
PA Bear, I notice you always advise users to disable anti virus and anti
spyware prior to installing/upgrading Internet Explorer. To be honest I
never disable my anti virus and haven't ever had any problems
installing/updating Internet Explorer. I suppose it is the luck of the
draw:-)

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> IE8 System Requirements
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before
> installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.
>
> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any)
> is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Debbie Graham wrote:
>> Well I think I got a bug, just tried to download it and it tells me it
>> doesn't support my operating system. I'm using XP home

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
You've been very lucky...so far. We (IE MVPs) learned about this the hard
way back when IE6 SP1 was released as a critical update for Win9.x machines
(IOW, back in the Dark Ages).

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> PA Bear, I notice you always advise users to disable anti virus and anti
> spyware prior to installing/upgrading Internet Explorer. To be honest I
> never disable my anti virus and haven't ever had any problems
> installing/updating Internet Explorer. I suppose it is the luck of the
> draw:-)

>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> IE8 System Requirements
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>>
>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>
>> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
>> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
>> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall
>> before
>> installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>
>> Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.
>>
>> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if
>> any)
>> is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Debbie Graham wrote:
>>> Well I think I got a bug, just tried to download it and it tells me it
>>> doesn't support my operating system. I'm using XP home

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
Well back in the Dark Ages I was using AVG (Free version) but since Windows
ME, 2000, XP, and Vista I've been using Sophos. I'm using Eset NOD 32 on
Windows 7 due to a problem with the update feature of Sophos.

> You've been very lucky...so far. We (IE MVPs) learned about this the hard
> way back when IE6 SP1 was released as a critical update for Win9.x
> machines (IOW, back in the Dark Ages).
>
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> PA Bear, I notice you always advise users to disable anti virus and anti
>> spyware prior to installing/upgrading Internet Explorer. To be honest I
>> never disable my anti virus and haven't ever had any problems
>> installing/updating Internet Explorer. I suppose it is the luck of the
>> draw:-)

>>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>>
>>> IE8 System Requirements
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>>>
>>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>>
>>> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
>>> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall,
>>> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall
>>> before
>>> installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>>
>>> Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.
>>>
>>> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if
>>> any)
>>> is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>>>
>>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>>> December
>>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>>> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Leonard Grey

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
I agree with PA Bear on this one. It shouldn't be necessary, since
today's security software should be well-equipped to recognize and
properly handle installs, and most of the time it probably isn't
necessary. But every now and then, security software does get in the way
of a successful install. (To upgrade to IE 7, users had to completely
uninstall the then extant version of Zone Alarm.)

I asked the same question of Kaspersky technical support ("Should I
disable KIS 2009 for software installs?") and they answered that *most
of the time* Kaspersky handles installations properly. (Emphasis added
by me.)

Even if security software doesn't get in the way of a proper install, it
sure can so down the process since it examines the changes being made to
your computer. That's part of it's job, after all.

It's hard to make a rule, since individual circumstances vary. And you
never know if someone will take proper precautions while their security
software is disabled.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Well back in the Dark Ages I was using AVG (Free version) but since
> Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista I've been using Sophos. I'm using Eset
> NOD 32 on Windows 7 due to a problem with the update feature of Sophos.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
John Barnett MVP wrote:

> PA Bear, I notice you always advise users to disable anti virus and anti
> spyware prior to installing/upgrading Internet Explorer. To be honest I
> never disable my anti virus and haven't ever had any problems
> installing/updating Internet Explorer. I suppose it is the luck of the
> draw:-)

Vincenzo Di Russo

>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> IE8 System Requirements
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>>
>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>
>> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
>> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
>> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall
>> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>
>> Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.
>>
>> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if
>> any) is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Debbie Graham wrote:
>>> Well I think I got a bug, just tried to download it and it tells me it
>>> doesn't support my operating system. I'm using XP home

Smirnoff

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
"Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if
any) is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it."

Is there a link to find out what programmes are supported in IE8?

I am running (latest versions and all fully updated):

Avast
AntiMalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster
Windows firewall

I intend to turn off on-access protection in Avast, undo immunisation in
Spybot S&D and disable all protection in SpywareBlaster before
installing IE8. However, I can't find out if any of the above programmes
are supported in the first place.

> You've been very lucky...so far. We (IE MVPs) learned about this the
> hard way back when IE6 SP1 was released as a critical update for
> Win9.x machines (IOW, back in the Dark Ages).
>
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> PA Bear, I notice you always advise users to disable anti virus and
>> anti
>> spyware prior to installing/upgrading Internet Explorer. To be honest
>> never disable my anti virus and haven't ever had any problems
>> installing/updating Internet Explorer. I suppose it is the luck of
>> the
>> draw:-)

>>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>>
>>> IE8 System Requirements
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx
>>>
>>> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>>>
>>> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
>>> any
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing
>>> (or
>>> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party
>>> firewall, I
>>> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall
>>> before
>>> installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>>
>>> Tip: Reboot twice after installing IE8 Final.
>>>
>>> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall
>>> (if any)
>>> is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>>>
>>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and
>>> usage
>>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>>> December
>>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>>> non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
Compounding the problems one may encounter, I don't believe any current
Norton or McAfee apps are supported in IE8 Final yet.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> I agree with PA Bear on this one. It shouldn't be necessary, since
> today's security software should be well-equipped to recognize and
> properly handle installs, and most of the time it probably isn't
> necessary. But every now and then, security software does get in the way
> of a successful install. (To upgrade to IE 7, users had to completely
> uninstall the then extant version of Zone Alarm.)
>
> I asked the same question of Kaspersky technical support ("Should I
> disable KIS 2009 for software installs?") and they answered that *most
> of the time* Kaspersky handles installations properly. (Emphasis added
> by me.)
>
> Even if security software doesn't get in the way of a proper install, it
> sure can so down the process since it examines the changes being made to
> your computer. That's part of it's job, after all.
>
> It's hard to make a rule, since individual circumstances vary. And you
> never know if someone will take proper precautions while their security
> software is disabled.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Well back in the Dark Ages I was using AVG (Free version) but since
>> Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista I've been using Sophos. I'm using Eset
>> NOD 32 on Windows 7 due to a problem with the update feature of Sophos.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft IE 8 question
It seems from the link, Vincenzo, that I must fall into the 'majority' that
haven't seen any problems with Anti Virus/Malware being enabled while
installing IE.

I'm not saying that the practice is irrelevant, just that I hadn't
experienced any problems. Obviously had someone emailed me to say they had a
problem installing IE then, even though I do install IE myself with anti
virus enabled, I would have automatically suggested disabling their anti
virus/malware application just to see if that solved the problem.