How do I block an IP Address

linda

How do I block an IP Address
How do I block an IP Address?

I have Windows XP SP3.

Problem: At various times during the day and night hours, internet radio
starts playng on my speakers. It is an annoyance and there is no program
showing that allows me to shut it off. All I can do (right now) is swith off
my speakers.

#1. There is no popup window that comes up first.
#2. There are no apparent processes running to shut off
#3. There is no apparent way to stop this unwanted advertising

HOW TO BLOCK INCOMING IP ADDRESS?????
I need to block these two IP Addresses originating from BLINKX so that the
internet radio feed are blocked.

#1 69.25.102.136
#2 8.18.200.7

There must be a way to block incoming internet radio advertising.

The alarming part is that how did this start, and why is it happening? No
virus was found that indicates this ADVERTISING INTRUSION.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kayman

Re: How do I block an IP Address
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:56:01 -0700, linda wrote:

> How do I block an IP Address?
>
> I have Windows XP SP3.
>
> Problem: At various times during the day and night hours, internet radio
> starts playng on my speakers. It is an annoyance and there is no program
> showing that allows me to shut it off. All I can do (right now) is swith off
> my speakers.
>
> #1. There is no popup window that comes up first.
> #2. There are no apparent processes running to shut off
> #3. There is no apparent way to stop this unwanted advertising
>
> HOW TO BLOCK INCOMING IP ADDRESS?????
> I need to block these two IP Addresses originating from BLINKX so that the
> internet radio feed are blocked.
>
> #1 69.25.102.136
> #2 8.18.200.7
>
> There must be a way to block incoming internet radio advertising.
>
> The alarming part is that how did this start, and why is it happening?

Sounds like malware infection

> No virus was found that indicates this ADVERTISING INTRUSION.

Have you scanned with multiple AV apps.?

> Any help would be appreciated.

Preferred practice is to 'flatten' and rebuild a computer that has been
exposed to malware.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx

Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand
--and--
--or-- (even better because its illustrated and more reader friendly)
How Do I Install WindowsXP
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...windows_xp.htm

It is defenitely advantageous to create an 'image' of the operating system
and create a data/file backup of the affected PC.
The image can then restored to the impacted PC and the user's data/file is
subsequently restored to the operating system.

An experienced and properly prepared user can do that in substantial less
time than scanning with complex and sophisticated AV applications.

Alas, since many users are less prepared and/or lacking the experience;
Scanning with an AV apps. is the only option, unless the user consults a
computer technician.
If you're one of the many less-experienced users, try to go through the
succeeding steps 1-4:

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
"inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run...' then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr"
(w/out quotation marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select
your drive (presumably WinXP (C and click OK.

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...html?tag=mncol
--or--
http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_A...are_d5756.html
--direct--
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
--direct--
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Both free versions of MBAM and SAS are on-demand scanners and offer no
'real-time' protection. Keep them installed and use them as
'second-opinion' scanner which is purposely (by design) recommended by
their respective authors.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

GMER - is an application that detects and removes rootkits.
http://www.gmer.net/index.php

For additional assistance in relation GMER scan results consult either:
--or--
http://antirootkit.com/forums/index....81ffe4361c3a17

CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...(*Tune out the registry scanning/fixing option!*)
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim

If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
when the computer starts'.
--or--
Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/

Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck

Re: How do I block an IP Address
Why not find and remove what's causing it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm