Toolbar placement in IE8

Dave Horne

Toolbar placement in IE8
I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google toolbar to
the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites. (I
have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and still
cannot do what I would like to do.)

I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and Google.
Just me? Am I not understanding this?

Thanks, Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
What other third-party toolbars are installed?

Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars have
their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in an IE
toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the IE
toolbar.)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave Horne wrote:
> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google toolbar
> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites. (I
> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
> still
> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>
> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and Google.
> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
Robear,

If I right click on the toolbar area I see the following -

Menu - checked
Favorites - checked
Compatibility View Button
Command Bar - checked
Status Bar - checked
Adobe PDF
Contribute Toolbar
Google Toolbar - checked
McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - checked

.... and the version of the Google Toolbar is version 5.0.2121.6042

I'll download the version 6 beta and see what happens. Thanks, Dave Horne

> What other third-party toolbars are installed?
>
> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars
> have their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in an
> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the
> IE toolbar.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google toolbar
>> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
>> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites.
>> (I
>> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
>> still
>> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>>
>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and Google.
>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
Robear,

If I right click on the toolbar area I see the following -

Menu - checked
Favorites - checked
Compatibility View Button
Command Bar - checked
Status Bar - checked
Adobe PDF
Contribute Toolbar
Google Toolbar - checked
McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - checked

I just downloaded and installed the Google version 6 beta Toolbar and still
have the same restriction regarding placement. I guess I'll let Google and
Microsoft fight it out ... ?

Thanks, Dave Horne

> What other third-party toolbars are installed?
>
> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars
> have their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in an
> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the
> IE toolbar.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google toolbar
>> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
>> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites.
>> (I
>> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
>> still
>> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>>
>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and Google.
>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
Robear, this seems to be a Windows problem. Every time I receive the
message that IE has stopped working a report was sent to MS.

FWIW, the info is as follows:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003e819
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Thanks, Dave Horne

> What other third-party toolbars are installed?
>
> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars
> have their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in an
> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the
> IE toolbar.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google toolbar
>> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
>> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites.
>> (I
>> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
>> still
>> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>>
>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and Google.
>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Daniel Crichton

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
I'd suggest disabling/removing Google Toolbar. Google does not support
Toolbar on beta versions of software, and they have no yet released an IE8
version of Google Toolbar.

Dan

Dave wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:57:15 +0100:

> Robear, this seems to be a Windows problem. Every time I receive the
> message that IE has stopped working a report was sent to MS.

> FWIW, the info is as follows:

> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: iexplore.exe
> Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0003e819
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

> Thanks, Dave Horne

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:efI0JOOqJHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> What other third-party toolbars are installed?

>> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these
>> toolbars have their own, very strong ideas about where they should
>> be located in an
>> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked
>> the
>> IE toolbar.)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google
>>> toolbar to the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can
>>> drag the Google toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it
>>> lower than Favorites.
>>> (I have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order
>>> and still cannot do what I would like to do.)

>>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and
>>> Google.
>>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?

>>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
Test again after disabling or uninstall Adobe, Contribute (?), and Site
Advisor toolbars.

QED: Do you need Site Advisor if SmartScreen Filter is enabled?

Dave Horne wrote:
> Robear,
>
> If I right click on the toolbar area I see the following -
>
> Menu - checked
> Favorites - checked
> Compatibility View Button
> Command Bar - checked
> Status Bar - checked
> Adobe PDF
> Contribute Toolbar
> Google Toolbar - checked
> McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - checked
>
> I just downloaded and installed the Google version 6 beta Toolbar and
> still
> have the same restriction regarding placement. I guess I'll let Google
> and
> Microsoft fight it out ... ?
>

> Thanks, Dave Horne

>> What other third-party toolbars are installed?
>>
>> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars
>> have their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in
>> an
>> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the
>> IE toolbar.)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google
>>> toolbar
>>> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
>>> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites.
>>> (I
>>> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
>>> still
>>> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>>>
>>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and
>>> Google.
>>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
When do you receive that error? Have your Submitted it at least once?

Dave Horne wrote:
> Robear, this seems to be a Windows problem. Every time I receive the
> message that IE has stopped working a report was sent to MS.
>
> FWIW, the info is as follows:
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: iexplore.exe
> Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
> Fault Module Name: urlmon.dll
> Fault Module Version: 8.0.6001.18702
> Fault Module Timestamp: 49b3ad4e
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0003e819
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

>> What other third-party toolbars are installed?
>>
>> Are you running Google Toolbar v5 or v6 beta? (Many of these toolbars
>> have their own, very strong ideas about where they should be located in
>> an
>> IE toolbar, ideas which usually over-ride the fact that you've Locked the
>> IE toolbar.)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> I have 'Lock the toolbars' deselected. I can not move the Google
>>> toolbar
>>> the lowest place, it is always above Favorites. I can drag the Google
>>> toolbar to a higher place, I just can't place it lower than Favorites.
>>> (I
>>> have reset IE8 several times, added the toolbars in various order and
>>> still
>>> cannot do what I would like to do.)
>>>
>>> I can drag the Menu toolbar and others just not the Favorites and
>>> Google.
>>> Just me? Am I not understanding this?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Toolbar placement in IE8
The error report has been sent at least on 20 different occasions. There
were three different dll's that cropped up in the report with urlmon.dll
being the most guilty.

This discussion is now moot with me since I uninstalled IE8 and went back to
IE7. I now have more control over my toolbar placement and the browser no
longer crashes when visiting www.cnet.com and the site for USA Today (which
I wrote about in another thread here).

I'll be back when they work out the bugs.

Thanks! Dave Horne