IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU

Will

IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Hi,

Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.

If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before finally

Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.

No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE 8.

I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where updates
over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Will
Max Burke

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Will wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.
>
> If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before finally
>
> Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.
>
> No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE 8.
>
> I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where updates
> over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Yes.

The RTM version of IE8 has some MAJOR bugs in it.

I have just spent the last SIX hours trying to get it to work, but it
just doesn't want to.

Like you it CONSTANTLY causes 100% CPU usage, opening second and
subsequent tabs doesnt work at all, and it is constantly crashing with
the "internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" or
that it cannot find the web page, check your connection error.

It has also slowed down my computer drastically, prior to installing the
RTM version, my computer booted in about 2 minutes, now it takes at
least 5 minutes to even load XP, and another 5 minutes to have a usuable
desktop.

Everything is running very slow, even when IE8 RTM isn't running.

As soon as I uninstall it, and revert back to IE7 the computer,
programmes, boot times go back to their normal operating speed.

For the last two weeks I have been using IE RC1 without any problems at
all, and when I uninstall IE8 RTM IE 7 is restored and works perfectly.

I'm going to try re-installing IE8 RC1 and use that or IE7 and wait to
see what happens with this stuffed RTM version.
Dirk Stevens

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Yea, the same happens to me too. I posted about it under "IE8 extremely slow
to start". I did not check CPU usage, but from the description it looks the
same.