IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU

Will

IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Hi,

Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.

If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before finally

Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.

No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE 8.

I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where updates
over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Will

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
And if you start IE8 in No Add-ons mode...?

And if you do a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737)....?

in the background when you installed any version of IE8 (including beta
builds)?

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Will wrote:
> Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.
>
> If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before
> finally
>
> Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.
>
> No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE
> 8.
>
> I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where
> updates
> over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

Will

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, but sadly they are of no real help.

Running in no add-ons mode makes no difference, does not appear to be an
add-on at fault. More info in a second on that.

Tried running the rest application and it did not fail but IE still takes 5
minutes to load. It appears to have successfully rest all settings.

This appears to be more than just an IE itself issue.

For example if I try and open control panel it freezes for 5 minutes at 100%
CPU usage.

Heck it is even effecting other applicatins such as firefox. Attempting to
download any file results in firefox now using 100% CPU for minutes.

No firewall, no anti-virus, no spyware, nothing. And no applicatins where
running when I installed IE 8.

Sadly this happens even on a new install of Windows XP Pro. SP3 Retail. Just
installed a copy via VM and it is having same problems.

Crazy that is was some how missed during the beta. RC1 did not have this
problem on any PCs that I tried it on (over a dozen).

These are all custom build PCs built by myself, so all with different
hardware, software, etc.

Process monitor is showing tons of :

169810 6:08:05.3454191 PM iexplore.exe 3884 Process Profiling SUCCESS User
Time: 12.1250000, Kernel Time: 5.6093750, Private Bytes: 16,572,416, Working
Set: 20,934,656

1,000s of times.

And it keeps trying to access:

169907 6:08:58.1825680 PM iexplore.exe 3884 UnlockFileSingle C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{571FB21D-14D2-11DE-ACE6-001EE5294F5B}.dat SUCCESS Offset: 2,147,483,520, Length: 17

Thanks again,

Will

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And if you start IE8 in No Add-ons mode...?
>
> And if you do a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737)....?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed any version of IE8 (including beta
> builds)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Will wrote:
> > Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.
> >
> > If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before
> > finally
> >
> > Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.
> >
> > No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE
> > 8.
> >
> > I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where
> > updates
> > over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
You have no anti-virus application installed on any of these WinXP SP3
machines?

You don't have any firewall enabled, not even the Windows Firewall?

If you uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist in your previous IE version?

Will wrote:
> [...]
>> applications running in the background when you installed any version of
>> IE8 (including beta builds)?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Will wrote:
>>> Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.
>>>
>>> If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before
>>> finally
>>>
>>> Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.
>>>
>>> No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE
>>> 8.
>>>
>>> I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where
>>> updates
>>> over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C0C38C-E1C0-4203-AC94-44FBE44E0090@microsoft.com...

> Process monitor is showing tons of :
>
> 169810 6:08:05.3454191 PM iexplore.exe 3884 Process Profiling SUCCESS User
> Time: 12.1250000, Kernel Time: 5.6093750, Private Bytes: 16,572,416, Working
> Set: 20,934,656
>
> 1,000s of times.
>
> And it keeps trying to access:
>
> 169907 6:08:58.1825680 PM iexplore.exe 3884 UnlockFileSingle C:\Documents
> and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{571FB21D-14D2-11DE-ACE6-001EE5294F5B}.dat SUCCESS Offset: 2,147,483,520, Length: 17

So, have you tried disabling the Crash Recovery?

---

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Day 2 Update: We're starting to see reports that having (a) SpywareBlaster
installed & all Protections enabled and/or (b) Spybot installed & fully
Immunized and/or (c) IESpyAd ZonedOut installed & enabled is causing this
behavior for many IE8 users.

Disabling SmartScreen Filter, etc., doesn't seem to have any affect on the
above.

YMMV.

Will wrote:
> Just installed IE 8 final build on 3 Windows XP Pro. x86 SP3 machines.
>
> If I launch IE 8 it causes 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes before
> finally
>
> Can't really use computer for anything else while this is happening.
>
> No such problem on two Vista SP1 x86 machines that I just upgraded to IE
> 8.
>
> I did not have this problem with RC1! All are new installs. 2 where
> updates
> over IE 7 and one was an update over IE 6.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Will

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
Right no anti-virus at all. And yes windows firewall on or off makes no
difference.

I uninstalled IE 8, no choice, had to, as PCs where unusable. And yeah no
more problem after uninstalling.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Data\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{571FB21D-14D2-11DE-ACE6-001EE5294F5B}.dat
> > SUCCESS Offset: 2,147,483,520, Length: 17
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Will
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> And if you start IE8 in No Add-ons mode...?
> >>
> >> And if you do a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737)....?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed any version of
> >> IE8 (including beta builds)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

Made no difference, the directory is empty any how.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C0C38C-E1C0-4203-AC94-44FBE44E0090@microsoft.com...
>
> > Process monitor is showing tons of :
> >
> > 169810 6:08:05.3454191 PM iexplore.exe 3884 Process Profiling SUCCESS User
> > Time: 12.1250000, Kernel Time: 5.6093750, Private Bytes: 16,572,416, Working
> > Set: 20,934,656
> >
> > 1,000s of times.
> >
> > And it keeps trying to access:
> >
> > 169907 6:08:58.1825680 PM iexplore.exe 3884 UnlockFileSingle C:\Documents
> > and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{571FB21D-14D2-11DE-ACE6-001EE5294F5B}.dat SUCCESS Offset: 2,147,483,520, Length: 17

> So, have you tried disabling the Crash Recovery?
>

> ---

Max Burke

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Day 2 Update: We're starting to see reports that having (a)
> SpywareBlaster installed & all Protections enabled and/or (b) Spybot
> installed & fully Immunized and/or (c) IESpyAd ZonedOut installed &
> enabled is causing this behavior for many IE8 users.

> Disabling SmartScreen Filter, etc., doesn't seem to have any affect on
> the above.
> YMMV.

As Spyware Blaster, and Spybot have been working as they should on my
system with IE8 RC1 installed, then surely the problem is with IE8 RTM
when these problem start occurring when the RTM version is installed.

What has been added to IE8 RTM that was not in IE8 RC1?
Maybe if we can find that out it might point to where the problem is *in
IE8 RTM*

Will

Re: IE 8 RTW and WindowsXP SP3 100% CPU
I be damn, I have all three and your right. After looking though Process
monitor logs IE appears to get stuck, re-reading information over and over
again.

OK so no problem if just spyware blaster is installed and all protections
enabled.

No problem if just IESpyAd is installed and enabled either.

Same major problem if Spybot installed & fully Immunized.

So it's spybot after all!! Darn!