Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final

信太郎

Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
Hello,

I have just installed the final release of IE8 and a problem that I have
been experiencing has not yet been resolved. I think IE8 is a great
improvement and I would like to use the visual search suggestions feature,
but, unfortunately, it seems to be rendering the suggestion image thumbnails
improperly on my computer. I have previously posted about this issue after
the Beta 2 and RC1 releases on microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta. As
the situation is identical, I will paste the RC1 message, slightly updated,
below. Any confirmations or solutions would be extremely helpful. Thank you
for your time!

--
I have had an issue with the IE8 visual search, which causes the images
displayed in the suggestions dropdown to appear as "red x" broken images. I

With the release of IE8 RC1, I have tested it once again and the issue still
exists. If possible, I would like to work to find the cause and help to fix
it before IE8 is finalized. I have also discovered a post on the ieblog from
a few months ago with someone who mentions the same issue, so it seems it
isn't isolated to my system.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...h.aspx#8960582

I have found my earlier thread archived on another site, as it seems to have
expired from the microsoft discussion site. A lot of information about this
issue, including screenshots and fiddler data can be found there:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...ug-filing.aspx

The only observable change to the issue in RC1 is that the "red x" no longer
looks like the pre-IE8 "red x" as shown here:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1...8searchcl3.jpg

It would seem based on this change that the underlying control used by the
address bar and the search box has been successfully updated in RC1, however,
something this control depends on for rendering images is different from that
which IE typically uses to render images.

As mentioned by the post from Chris I linked to on the ieblog, the images
referred to by the visual search suggestions XML document are visible in IE
when browsed to directly, and are downloaded properly to the IE Content.IE5
cache folder along with the XML document describing the search suggestions
each time a search is typed. Using the visual search from the address bar
instead of the search box with the "?" prefix results in the same behavior
with broken images.

I am beginning to think this may be a very rare situation where a control or
file is missing or registered improperly, which is strange since this issue
has persisted through the Beta 2 and RC1 installations. If a developer on
the IE team could please tell me what image rendering path is used by the
visual search dropdown control, I could try to check if it is properly
registered in my system.

For example, if the code is using a drawing function in "something.dll
some.version some.size" or requires a certain COM (JPEG/PNG/GIF/???) image
decoder control instance that is registered in a
"HKCR\CLSID\{some-thing-0000-0000-here}\InprocServer32" key or a
"HKCR\TypeLib\{some-thing-0000-0000-here}\?.?\0\win32" key or elsewhere, it
would be extremely helpful, so I could check to make sure these keys or files
exist and are registered properly.

I hope this problem can be resolved as soon as possible!
Thank you for your time!

System hardware:
2.4GHz Single Core Pentium 4
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 128MB Graphics
10Mbps Cable Internet (I don't think a network timeout retrieving the images
is the issue; the dropdown displays nearly immediately with the suggestions
and "red x" placeholders)

System software:
Windows XP x86_32 SP3 Home Edition OEM EN-US
Windows is set to Japanese codepage for non-unicode applications (possible
issue with en-us IE if it's using a non-unicode aware control somewhere?).
Windows is up-to-date from Windows Update.
IE8 is version 8.0.6001.18702 EN-US.
This issue reproduces in normal and no-addons mode in Beta 2, RC1, and Final.
This issue reproduces with both administrator and limited XP user accounts.
This issue reproduces after a reset of IE settings (advanced settings tab).
The administrator account has full unrestricted privileges as is typical on
XP.

Other installed software that may be of note, for possible conflicts:
..NET Framework 3.5 SP1
..NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 - Japanese
Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
Silverlight 2.0.40115.0
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729
MSXML Parser 6.0 (KB927977)
Windows Media Player 11

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
Since you could view the image when accessed directly
I wonder what extra value could be obtained from the
Fiddler trace?

Also, I can't read your last comment in the thread:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversat...did=3295 9153

In any case I think a better diagnostic would be IE8's
Developer Tools' Images Image Report for the rendered
image. E.g. compare the ones you can't see that way
with the ones you can.

I.e. in the case of your Wrigley Field example
you would open

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._field_720.jpg

in its own tab, then press F12, then click on Images and
then View Image Report.

Then,... did you cite another existing search icon that you
*can* see? I don't see one...

Actually I don't understand why installing the Wikipedia
search provider would use that particular icon...

OIC. It's not a search icon in the search pane's toolbar
which was being tested, it's an image in a search's
results list. E.g. I just typed bar while Live Search was
my provider and after a short delay got some tiny images
of Barbie, Barack Obama, Barry Bonds, Barnie and Barbara
Streisand but not Barnes and Noble, Barbara Walters,
or Bart.

So that's why the Fiddler trace would have been important.

So, did Sebastien understand your symptom correctly
or was my first impression more accurate?...
Ah, now I see in your baseball example that you *do* have
the Developer Tools open with the New IE8 Red X but
nothing in the Address bar. BTW how did you do that?
The HTML shows about:<japanese>.jpg Why would
there be nothing in the Address bar? Do you have a
problem, as one of the blog commenters suggested,
with Japanese versus English? Did you try the suggestion
(as a test) to make EN-US your preferred Language?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

"???" <???@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news1963A9B-E119-4AF5-A784-727588754145@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> Windows is set to Japanese codepage for non-unicode applications (possible
> issue with en-us IE if it's using a non-unicode aware control somewhere?).
> Windows is up-to-date from Windows Update.
> IE8 is version 8.0.6001.18702 EN-US.
> This issue reproduces in normal and no-addons mode in Beta 2, RC1, and Final.
> This issue reproduces with both administrator and limited XP user accounts.
> This issue reproduces after a reset of IE settings (advanced settings tab).
> The administrator account has full unrestricted privileges as is typical on
> XP.
>
> Other installed software that may be of note, for possible conflicts:
> .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> .NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 - Japanese
> Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
> Silverlight 2.0.40115.0
> Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729

信太郎

Re: Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
Hello Mr. Robert Aldwinckle,

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate you taking the time to read all of
those posts. I apologize if the previous thread was hard to follow, as we
were testing all kinds of scenarios for the broken search images problem. I
believe Sebastien understood the problem, which was that the thumbnails in
the visual search dropdown list are always displayed as "red x" broken
images, even though fiddler shows that when a search is typed into the search
box, the proper suggestions xml is downloaded, along with the appropriate
images.

> OIC. It's not a search icon in the search pane's toolbar
> which was being tested, it's an image in a search's
> results list.

That is exactly right.

The problem seems to be the IE frame search box/address bar control is
unable to render the image thumbnails into the list, even though IE downloads
them and they are available in the temporary internet files\* cache folders.
It doesn't seem to be a network timeout, as there is no delay in the display
of the search results; it immediately displays the list with "red x" images.
Cycling between a few search queries, despite the image thumbnails being
cached, it is still unable to render them and uses the "red x."

> Ah, now I see in your baseball example that you *do* have
> the Developer Tools open with the New IE8 Red X but
> nothing in the Address bar. BTW how did you do that?
> The HTML shows about:<japanese>.jpg Why would
> there be nothing in the Address bar?

That was just the about:blank page; I opened the developer tools on
about:blank, selected the body tag and used Edit (alt+E) to add a little html
into the body tag to show the difference between the older style "red x" used
in the search results list and the new style IE8 "red x" in the page itself.
This difference no longer exists since RC1, as both the page content "red x"
and search results list "red x" are the same. At the time, I thought this
difference might point to a possible issue with a different rendering path
being used for rendering the images.

The address bar being blank was probably just me deleting the content of the
address bar to use it as a temporary edit box to write the body html that I
then cut/pasted in with the developer tools. I often do that to avoid
opening notepad lol. The address bar works great in IE8 and it's not a
problem.

Regarding the languages, I will list the relevant ones; maybe you could see
where a problem might be:
Windows XP SP3 x86_32 - EN-US
IE8 RTW - EN-US
Input installed - Japanese JA-JP only
Language for non-unicode applications: Japanese
IE languages: EN-US first, JA-JP second

Image of Windows regional settings and IE language options:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8729/languages.png

I hope a language issue isn't the problem, as it is important to my work,
however I will test setting non-unicode to english as you suggested, restart,
and post the results.

Thank you for your time!

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]
> > Windows is set to Japanese codepage for non-unicode applications (possible
> > issue with en-us IE if it's using a non-unicode aware control somewhere?).
> > Windows is up-to-date from Windows Update.
> > IE8 is version 8.0.6001.18702 EN-US.
> > This issue reproduces in normal and no-addons mode in Beta 2, RC1, and Final.
> > This issue reproduces with both administrator and limited XP user accounts.
> > This issue reproduces after a reset of IE settings (advanced settings tab).
> > The administrator account has full unrestricted privileges as is typical on
> > XP.
> >
> > Other installed software that may be of note, for possible conflicts:
> > .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> > .NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 - Japanese
> > Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
> > Silverlight 2.0.40115.0
> > Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729

信太郎

Re: Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
Just updating the previous post; I set non-unicode to EN-US, removed ja-jp
from IE language settings, and the problem persists.

If you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again!

"信太郎" wrote:

> [...]

> > > Windows is set to Japanese codepage for non-unicode applications (possible
> > > issue with en-us IE if it's using a non-unicode aware control somewhere?).
> > > Windows is up-to-date from Windows Update.
> > > IE8 is version 8.0.6001.18702 EN-US.
> > > This issue reproduces in normal and no-addons mode in Beta 2, RC1, and Final.
> > > This issue reproduces with both administrator and limited XP user accounts.
> > > This issue reproduces after a reset of IE settings (advanced settings tab).
> > > The administrator account has full unrestricted privileges as is typical on
> > > XP.
> > >
> > > Other installed software that may be of note, for possible conflicts:
> > > .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> > > .NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 - Japanese
> > > Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
> > > Silverlight 2.0.40115.0
> > > Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729

信太郎

RE: Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
EricLaw [MSFT] has solved this problem!

Visual Search thumbnail images will appear properly if the Quick Tabs
feature is enabled.

Click Tools button -> Internet Options.
Click the Settings button under the Tabs section.
Check the Quick Tabs option.
Click OK until you have closed Internet Options.
Close all instances of IE and then reopen.

Visual Search should work as expected now

I fully expect they will resolve this issue, so that this workaround is not
necessary in the future.

Thank you for your time!

"???" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECEE4716-A9AC-4329-8759-E091BD3B3513@microsoft.com...
> EricLaw [MSFT] has solved this problem!
>
> Visual Search thumbnail images will appear properly if the Quick Tabs
> feature is enabled.
>
> Click Tools button -> Internet Options.
> Click the Settings button under the Tabs section.
> Check the Quick Tabs option.
> Click OK until you have closed Internet Options.
> Close all instances of IE and then reopen.
>
> Visual Search should work as expected now
>
> I fully expect they will resolve this issue, so that this workaround is not
> necessary in the future.
>
> Thank you for your time!

Thanks for sharing the resolution.
Actually I vaguely remembered reading another thread about this
and had been trying to remember what the keyword was to find it
again. Quick Tabs. And I just recreated your symptom by
unchecking it. It must be a default to have it checked.
Why would you have unchecked it? I actually never use that feature...
Oh. In fact, I do without realizing why. Instead of the Quick Tabs
(Ctrl-Q) feature I only use the Tabs List (Ctrl-Shift-Q) feature.
Both disappear when I uncheck the option, so of course I would
have it checked even if it wasn't a default. Thanks for that bit of
edification too. ; )

Robert
---

信太郎

Re: Visual Search Displays Broken Images (red x) in IE8 Final
Hello Mr. Robert Aldwinckle,

Yes, I had actually disabled it in IE7; each upgrade properly retained that
setting, causing it to remain disabled in IE8 lol. My monitor is somewhat
limiting in how high I can set the resolution (1152x864), so I disabled the
Quick Tabs feature to get a little bit more room for the tabs. It wasn't a
lot of additional space, but I always used ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab to
switch, so the trade-off was fine for me, at the time. I did not know of the
ctrl+shift+q shortcut, though. I think it will be very useful in the future

Thank you again for all your help!

"???" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E034DF5-22A6-495E-8CFD-2FC9BF4A0844@microsoft.com...
> Hello Mr. Robert Aldwinckle,
>
> Yes, I had actually disabled it in IE7; each upgrade properly retained that
> setting, causing it to remain disabled in IE8 lol. My monitor is somewhat
> limiting in how high I can set the resolution (1152x864), so

> I disabled the Quick Tabs feature to get a little bit more room for the tabs.

The best way to achieve that is to either suppress the Command bar
or drag it up to the next higher line.

> It wasn't a lot of additional space, but I always used ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab to
> switch, so the trade-off was fine for me, at the time. I did not know of the
> ctrl+shift+q shortcut, though. I think it will be very useful in the future
>

> Thank you again for all your help!

You're welcome.

Happy to help.

Robert